D&D 5E What is "broken" in 5e?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I'll echo what's been said that I am disappointed by how little Intelligence contributes to characters that are not absolutely dependent on it. An extra skill proficiency per ability modifier bonus seems a bit excessive; maybe tool or language? That couldn't end up too unbalancing, would it?

I mean, it would also help if Investigation didn't keep getting its lunch money stolen by Perception.

Monster balancing is always going to be a little wonky because it can depend so much on party composition and player strategy. Even in 4e, you still had stuff like Taclords trivializing high-defense monsters. I don't buy the idea that monster design is fundamentally broken because they don't take into account PCs having feats. Those are optional rules that necessarily produce stronger PCs, and thus as a DM you have to make some adjustments to your encounter design to match, as is the case with any optional rules that increase character power. But that's been the DM's cross to bear from the dawn of history, optional rules or no, not a specific thing that's broken about a specific edition.

I will say that it's rather annoying that the -5/+10 feats only seem to exist for a few select weapons. The polearm/hand crossbow feats get similar calls of "OP!" so they seem to cover similar territory. There was that UA that tried to add more options for other weapon groups but my memory is failing me on how successful that turned out to be (which doesn't bode well for it, I'd assume). I don't put much stock in white room math but I'd assume it's been shown that the benefits of the damage boost far outstrips the drawbacks of the accuracy penalty (I'd hope so, anyway, it is a feat after all). But I'd also assume that in actual play they serve to provide more in the way of tactical decision-making than a straight up "you do 10 more damage each attack".

But yeah, I want cool feats for all weapon types. With more variety than what amounts to Power Attack/Power Shot.

Grappling is still borked, but what else is new?

There are a few suboptimal class options (Way of the Elements, Berserker, Beastmaster, and maybe Wild Mage seem like the most egregious), but none of these are so far behind as to be considered broken, at least not from most of the actual play examples we've been getting. Maybe Beastmaster.

I think what will be exciting is to see how many of these things will be addressed in the big honking rules update later this year. Later 4e PHBs attempted (with varying degrees of success) to fix things like skill challenges and stealth, and 4e monster design wasn't fully established (some might say perfected) until the MM3, so I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to see some of these addressed. We already know they're looking into more weapon options/feats, re-designing the Ranger, etc.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Oh yeah, multi-classing! I've always had a kind of love-hate relationship with multi-classing. I like the idea of being able to merge classes together in order to fit an already-established concept. There were quite a few 3.5 prestige classes that seemed to be designed with that in mind and those always seemed the most inventive and interesting to me. Even 5e, with its lack of prestige classes, I can see the potential for a lot of really neat ideas for multi-classed characters.

The problem is that multi-classing have always been rife for potential for abuse by powergamers looking for unintentionally broken combinations. I've always maintained final say on multi-class characters and it's the one set of rules I tend to rigorously enforce. Players have to justify their multi-class, and if the term "dip" comes up even once that tends to be a no from me. Most of what I would want out multi-classing is already available in 5e by way of feats.

Unfortunately there's not much to do to un-break multiclassing rules, which is why I tend to be so strict about it at my own tables. I like that the option's there, and it's easy enough to say no to anything that seems like abuse.

OB1

Jedi Master
There are a few suboptimal class options (Way of the Elements, Berserker, Beastmaster, and maybe Wild Mage seem like the most egregious), but none of these are so far behind as to be considered broken, at least not from most of the actual play examples we've been getting. Maybe Beastmaster.

In one campaign I'm playing a level 12 Variant Human Beastmaster (Mobile and Alert feats, Dex Maxed) and have had no issues. I knew the theme of the game going in was a behind enemy lines special forces group, and have gotten fantastic utility out of my hawk, which I use to scout and help my team set up ambushes.

Valetudo

Explorer
If there is one thing that is broken in 5th, its how subclasses dont conform to subclasses for other classes. Now Im not saying it doesnt work. Im saying they could or should have all subclasses start at the same level. I think this is part of the reason rangers are such a mess right now. Do they work? For the most part yes. Are they fun to play? Alot of people think so. Are they having problems making new material for the ranger? I would have to say yes to that.

Xeviat

Hero
Two Weapon Fighting is my contribution to the list of things which I feel are broken. The Two Weapon Fighting style is too good at levels 1-4 (outpacing great weapons fighting and a great sword by a noticeable amount), and then it's fairly weak after that (to the point that Duelist does more damage and gets a shield). It's also broken because it's too good to the point of being necessary on a melee rogue (or it's sibling crossbow expert and a hand crossbow on a rogue).

I fix it with a few rules: 1) you get extra attacks with your offhand bonus action; 2) two weapon fighting style let's you use one-handed weapons (rogues use lights, fighters and rangers use one-handeds); 3) Dual Weapon Fighting feat TBD; 4) Fighting with a single one-handed or light weapon and an empty offhand grants +2 to hit (so a rapier rogue has some accuracy to benefit them against a dual short sword rogue's extra sneak attack attempts).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
If there is one thing that is broken in 5th, its how subclasses dont conform to subclasses for other classes. Now Im not saying it doesnt work. Im saying they could or should have all subclasses start at the same level.
If they had all subclasses start at the same level, they would have to have more tightly constrained other class features to account for it.

As is, in the design space of being able to front-load or back-load, and have some classes where the sub-class is more defining (and entered at lower level) or less defining (and entered at higher level), the feeling of whether or not characters are balanced in an overall sense is much easier to get into the realm of "mostly, yeah" while not having to make each class look like basically the same tree with maybe a few different lights and ornaments hung on it.

Or to phrase that differently; every step taking towards classes conforming to the same schedule of traits is a step towards making all classes feel "samey", which is not desirable to a significant number of people (myself included - I like that my champion fighter and my evoker wizard are as different as they possibly can be while existing in the same rule system).

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Two Weapon Fighting is my contribution to the list of things which I feel are broken. The Two Weapon Fighting style is too good at levels 1-4 (outpacing great weapons fighting and a great sword by a noticeable amount), and then it's fairly weak after that (to the point that Duelist does more damage and gets a shield). It's also broken because it's too good to the point of being necessary on a melee rogue (or it's sibling crossbow expert and a hand crossbow on a rogue)

Nothing brings more joy than hearing others insist that options I've never taken and have played happily without are "necessary" for my characters.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Someone mentioned spells. I'm not going to go into a lot, but a few.

Bless is overpowered. I love the idea of a solid, multi-character buff at 1st level. But one that stacks with advantage, applies to all attacks, saves, and ability checks, and is a definite enabler for the -5/+10 feats, I think it's been poorly designed for it's niche.

Shield is ... problematic. The problem is that a d20 has so much variation compared to the delta of to hit vs. AC under bounded accuracy that you need a high bonus to overcome the die and make it worthwhile in the first place. But without needing to be upcast it scales very well, and it's virtually a get-out-of-jail-free once the resource cost of a 1st level spell slot diminishes. Also as a 1st level spell it's very easy to pick it up via cherry-picking.

Witch's Bolt, True Strike - trap spells, not worth it.

Remove ads