D&D 5E What is "broken" in 5e?

While I've made my share of complaints, I don't think anything in 5e is actually broken. I do think a few things are bent, and there a couple things I would have done differently.

But all in all, the game is perfectly playable, and enjoyably so, without a single change.

and some things get more bent based on play style, if the players control where and it to fight for example.

CapnZapp

Legend
Many people think that Sharpshooter and Great Weapon Master feats are broken, because the -5/+10 trade-off is too powerful at low levels.
I don't think this is an accurate representation of the subject.

While I myself have an issue with the mechanism at low levels, I believe most people see the mechanism really go off the rails first at high levels.

(My personal beef is that the feat adds a capability for very high damage nobody else is capable of inflicting - such as 25 damage in a single non-critical hit. This beef persists at every level, but is most noticeable at low levels.)

The more pressing issue doesn't manifest at low levels however. For one thing, your to hit bonus isn't (yet) all that great visavi commonly encountered AC numbers. For another, low level characters have few abilities that lets them manage the -5 part of the mechanism. For a third, you only have one attack, so the problem can never be more than +10 damage.

It is at high levels the -5/+10 tradeoff break down.

Other than that, I have no comment upon your post. Carry on.

l0lzero

First Post
What's broken? Some of the players expectations.

Why do we keep having these threads? They never end well.

"So tell me, what's wrong with 4e? I don't want to start an argument...." :rolleyes

Then don't participate. Nobody is forcing you to participate and you're //not// (weren't when I was reading through the posts after I replied to another poster) contributing anything to the topic.

Last edited:

l0lzero

First Post
I'm actually very happy to see the responses so far, and I'm glad that people are offering their potential fixes when they have them. This is the kind of information I was looking for, thank you all very much (even you [MENTION=15700]Sacrosanct[/MENTION], when you're not derisive of the topic itself, your counterpoints are important to retain perspective about whether or not something is actually in fact broken).

CapnZapp

Legend
Encounter design:2) The encounter build tables list adjectives to describe how an encounter should feel. In many cases my players have reported they do not feel that adjective is accurate for the encounter. Therefore the DMG table provides inaccurate information.
Very eloquently put. I shall have to repost this elsewhere.

Olrox17

Hero
Leomund's Tiny Hut. Right now, it is the only thing I felt like I needed to house rule in my game. A third level ritual that can stop everything, apart from the rare dispel magic.

I reverted to the 3e/4e versions of the spell, which are perfectly fine.

Remove ads