Spelljammer What is important to you about Spelljammer

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't want ships reliant on spell casters at all personally. I think it's a silly limitation. I know, I know, I'm veering off the beaten path of precedent, but I don't want the a whole campaign contingent on having a (functional) caster. I don't like the helm preventing casting either, but my core problem is deeper.
I mean, we ready know the basics of how Perkins will do Spelljammers, from Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
There are other methods to get you going in space, such as a Forge (which breaks down magic items for fuel), mystical devices that drain life force, or even weirder stuff like Quentin's Librarium, fueled by a mystical idol that devours books.
Yeah, but those are sideshows to the general way things worked. My personal answer was ships powered by Aetheric Crystals (a la Aeronaut's Windlass) and navigated by means of orrery's that open a network of gates. Anyone can drive the ship, but finding the combinations to open various gates is what 'gates' players movement. Any answer is fine by me if it avoids relying on the presence of a spellcaster.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I mean, we ready know the basics of how Perkins will do Spelljammers, from Dungeon of the Mad Mage.
That's a good place to start a discussion, but I'd stop short of finishing that discussion there, if you know what I mean. Given a ton of design space who knows what changes and additions may appear.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I never claimed that science and alchemy were the same. Nor did Paul as far as I can tell.

Also a clarification, chemistry doesn’t use science, it simply is what it is. We use science to understand the chemistry of things, but the chemistry is there whether or not we understand it. That is how we got gunpowder without science! It seems your are saying “chemistry” when you really mean “the study of chemistry”, which is a science.
well according to Lord Rutherford's classic remark: “All science is either physics or stamp collecting.”

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's a good place to start a discussion, but I'd stop short of finishing that discussion there, if you know what I mean. Given a ton of design space who knows what changes and additions may appear.
True, but it's q strong hint: it does change how it worked in 2E, but keeps a lotin tact. Seems a likely model for further changes.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Besides, given that any class can be magical in this edition, and WotC has already pointed out that casters or magic items are kind of important to the game's functioning (regardless of claims about magic items being optional and you being able to play whatever class you want), it's not like keeping Spelljamming Helms around is insurmountable.

Plus, I mean, it's called Spelljammer for a reason.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The general thrust of 5E design has been to avoid mandating for certain classes or races in terms of setting playability. I assume that SJ will be similar somehow. I don't think that's much of a stretch.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Make it Steampunk-Star Wars. You can do whatever you want with the rest.
1649091195908.png

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
The general thrust of 5E design has been to avoid mandating for certain classes or races in terms of setting playability. I assume that SJ will be similar somehow. I don't think that's much of a stretch.
You're probably right, though I don't think it's much of a stretch to say "have a guy with magic on your team". Don't most parties? Is there an all-martial campaign out there? If so, I'd love to hear about it, I have so many questions!

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
You're probably right, though I don't think it's much of a stretch to say "have a guy with magic on your team". Don't most parties? Is there an all-martial campaign out there? If so, I'd love to hear about it, I have so many questions!
That is a good point. Lots of parties dont get past half caster though. Personally, I hope they ditch that bit for ships althogether or at least provide lots of reasonable alternatives. I'm pretty sure we'll see something like that though.

Remove ads