Pathfinder 1E What is it about PF making characters useless?

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Unescapable grapples are a 3E problem that PathFinder inherited. BAB + Str + Size + Improved Grab, with Str usually going up with size, makes for impossible grapple values. High level play requires that players prepare a means to cope.

3E is rife with this type of problem. Skills have been mentioned already. Saving throws have a similar problem.

DMs also have to be careful designing encounters, too: Encounter difficulty can be much higher than indicated by just looking at the monster numbers. For example, opening a door and losing initiative to a hostile Gorillion just on the other side. A pack of 20 harpies. Shadows underwater.

Thx!
TomB

Taavon Farwise

First Post
The end result is still the fact that the PC was almost certainly set up to fail. The GM should provide SOME assistance or help in this area. Remember Antonio Banderas in the 13th warrior? I'd say that should be a viable option as well IF the DM isn't going to let the PC start with a working knowledge of the local languages.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If the PCs are venturing into a foreign land with its own language, a good DM will ask the group before beginning the module: "What languages does your character know?" And make sure the locals speak SOMETHING (the rarest?) on the PCs' list, even if the locals didn't speak it as-written.

When I was DM'ing, you rolling a nat20 was an automatic success, no matter how much my monster overpowered the math.

I have read Pathfinder books - rules and adventures - but not played it (yet). If I ever get to where I don't have to work a full-time job and a part-time job, I hope to change that eventually.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
When I was DM'ing, you rolling a nat20 was an automatic success, no matter how much my monster overpowered the math.

Good, because the rules explicitly say a natural 20 is a success for combat maneuver checks except when trying to escape bonds.

Derren

Hero
Unescapable grapples are a 3E problem that PathFinder inherited. BAB + Str + Size + Improved Grab, with Str usually going up with size, makes for impossible grapple values. High level play requires that players prepare a means to cope.

3E is rife with this type of problem. Skills have been mentioned already. Saving throws have a similar problem.
Only that this is not a problem, but a feature.

Remove ads