D&D 5E What is most important to you for 5e?

Blackbrrd

First Post
I have been lurking around the threads here for a while and I do wonder what's most important to you for 5e?

For me it's the adventures. I want adventures with some epic fights, ways for the players to go completely FUBAR or come up with amazing strategies to overcome problems. I also want some very good opportunities for the players to roleplay and get into the mood of the game, not just the dice.

Why did I make this thread? It's partially because of this kickstarter: http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/3...nture-pathfinder-rpg-kickstarter-project.html It just seems like an awesome adventure and a model for adventures made for 5e.

The absolutely best adventure for me in 3.x was Red Hand of Doom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It had lots of different elements to make it a great story to DM. It had some funky :):):):) too, but mainly I liked it because my players had decisions to make that were really important. I will never gonna forget when the Chaotic Good quasi-paladin came up with the: "We are going to make a deal with the Lich hey-hey"-slogan and persuaded the whole party to come along for the ride.

For 4e, the best module I DM-ed was The Scouring of Gate Pass War of the Burning Sky Adventure Path - EN World: Your Daily RPG Magazine it was a great city adventure and the skill challenges with the dwarves towards the end worked out brilliantly.

So, what if 5e starts of with quality adventures like this instead of pretty darned boring stuff like Keep on the Shadowfell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which in my eyes was as imagineative as a rock.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/3...nture-pathfinder-rpg-kickstarter-project.html

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
Balance and ligitimate character options (not "I hit it with my sword).

EDIT: Oh, and a game that does not rely totally on the DM for it to function. I want a game that could be played DM-LESS.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
EDIT: Oh, and a game that does not rely totally on the DM for it to function. I want a game that could be played DM-LESS.

Then why not play something other than D&D? I'm sure there must be other fantasy RPGs out there that do not require a DM/GM.

For myself, I want something with solid archetypal classes (I won't dare to wager what is "legitimate") that also offer options to do multiple types/concepts of characters within those classes (Themes/Specialties, Schemes and Domains seem on a good track to allow for this).

Adventures that can be any combination of combat, exploration, and/or interaction (or none at all, if for example you feel like an "all combat" or "all interaction", be it for one session or a whole campaign)...basically dials (even in the published ones, if possible) to generate whatever sort of experience you're looking for at the moment.

Flavor. I want flavor. Good ole creative, imaginative (or, perhaps more importantly, sparking of the imagination) fantasy flavor. In classes, races, monsters, magic and magic items...everything, really.

I think those are the "biggie" general points that are most important for me.

--SD

Last edited:

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
Then why not play something other than D&D? I'm sure there must be other fantasy RPGs out there that do not require a DM/GM.
Because I like most of the other stuff from D&D? Why do people who want the game to be totally reliant on a DM not just ditch the rules and ask the DM what happens?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Because I like most of the other stuff from D&D? Why do people who want the game to be totally reliant on a DM not just ditch the rules and ask the DM what happens?

I imagine some do...I wouldn't/don't...but some probably do.

D&D has rules AND a DM...that's the game. You have an "adjudicator", a "referee", "judge" and (at least most of the time) "narrator", someone who (hopefully) has a modicum of common sense and sense of fairness (not to mention, if one is very lucky, a sense of humor, drama and creativity) to make coherent "rulINGS" and an enjoyable experience for their table.

D&D is not "totally reliant" on the DM...it is, really, primarily dependent on the players (without whom there's BE no story/adventure/game to use either the rules or the DM)...It is also not "totally reliant" on the rules. It is the meshing of the two (rules AND DM) that makes it D&D.

If you don't like that...that's totally fine. It is a game, you should be having fun with it. If it's not fun for you, play something else. Noone's going to find fault with that.

I could just as easily ask, "Why do people who want the game to be totally reliant on the rules not just ditch RPGs and play a video game or something that doesn't allow you to step outside of those preset parameters?"

D&D (or any RPG, imo) is not intended for the "binary at heart."

EDIT: As for liking "most of the other stuff from D&D", that's why I said another fantasy RPG...or just fantasy game in general. There are other places to get one's fix for elves and goblins, swords, magic and dragons.
/EDIT.

--SD

Last edited:

The thread hasn't even started yet, and people are already telling each other that they shouldn't play D&D in the first place, because it cannot do what they want it from. D&D Next sounds like a more and more challenging proposition.

---

I think what I like to see most are interesting mechanic that allow for balanced gameplay (in all areas of play, not just combat) between the classes, presenting everyone with interesting and meaningful options.

ferratus

Adventurer
The Silver Standard. No, not just listing gp prices in sp, but actually have silver be a meaningful currency for buying and selling goods. In other words, treasure comes in bags of silver, rather than pouches of gold.

Why? I want a chest of gold peices to be a king's ransom, not a chest of astral diamonds.

Remove ads