D&D 5E What is most important to you for 5e?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What's most important in 5e for me? That it builds on and expands the modified 1e game I'm already playing and is fully backward-compatible with said game or can very easily be made so.

That said:
A game loose enough with balance to easily run it assuming imbalance, but have it there for those who want it (optional one or the other).

More power to the GM, less to the rules than 4th or 3rd.

More interaction with the world and GM and less interaction on the character sheet - you don't look at Char sheet to see what you can do - you tell the GM what you do, and end up looking at sheet to see if you succeed or fail.

Lots of Spells. Lots of combat options for non casters.
I'm with you up to here - all good stuff...
Workable, flavorful Multiclassing.
...but you lose me here. I've never been much of a fan of multiclassing in any edition; mostly because each class comes with its own strengths and weaknesses (thus necessitating the presence of other classes i.e. the rest of the party), and most multiclass characters I ever see are simply attempts to cover over the weaknesses and be strong in everything - so who needs a party?

If you want to play a Fighter and a Wizard, play two characters. :)
Classes not being and in world thing, but a game design view of a package of mechanics, so the character isn't "A fighter" but "Bob" - with class, theme, background, possible multiclassing just being metagame concepts. A 3rd ed like system like that, but less definition of classes (especially prestige class type things) within world. The levels are just a discreet set of abilities that you give your character. (Yeah, I come from a point based system preference) - but if the GM wants his world to be defined by classes so you aren't playing Bob, but Bob the figther, the system supports that. It just isn't default play (or what I want as an optional module that is in the core book).
I prefer the classes be somewhat baked in to the world - much like distinct careers are a part of one's make-up in real life. Bob's not just Bob, he's Bob the fireman, or Bob the plumber, or Bob the insurance salesman. And while you could easily say in the D&D world he's just Bob the adventurer, I'd rather break it down to Bob the fighter or Bob the Cleric, etc.
Someone with 8 levels in 8 different classes is a viable and workable character - and none of those classes really define the character.
(quoted out of order)

Bleah!

Someone trying to operate in 8 classes at once, all at 1st level, should be no more effective overall than about a 3rd-level single-class because they're simply trying to do too much at once and remember too many skills and abilities.

If someone's trying to create an 8-class character I'd have to rather pointedly ask why, and would expect an answer relating somehow to powergaming - shortly followed by an appearance of the smackdown hammer. (also in my ideal system level advancement wouldn't do the silly 3e thing of an entire level in one class followed by an entire level in another - your XP would get divided down proportionally among all classes as you slowly improved in each at the same time and depending on player choice all at the same rate or not, with a minimum % of your earned XP going to each class in order to keep it going)

Lan-"an 8-class character also probably needs psychotherapy ASAP"-efan

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
To me it is...

Characters making sense within the default world and the default mechanics of the game.

If spellcasters are extremely weak at low levels, then it makes no sense for them being adventurers at low levels.

If martial combat is ineffective at high level, then it make no sense for a character to even take those classes after a certain point unless they gain non-martial abilities, transcend reality, or both.

No class to level tiers. Down with them.

Greg K

Legend
What I want depends whether starting from 3e, 4e or Star Wars Saga as a basis. While 3e tailored with both DMG and Unearthed Arcana variants and third party products and utilizing few WOTC products is my favorite, there are elements I like about all of them and would want incorporated (along with some 1e and 2e influence). So, regardless of which one I was to start with, I have a lot of things, mechanically, that are important to me.

Some of the things
1. balance among classes across levels (from 3e perspective tone down the casters rather than raising everyone to the caster's level
2. no level drain
3. no 3e XP costs
4. Martial types get cool things to do via a Book of Iron Might maneuver system
5. Races
a. Elf/Eladrin split
b. strength penalties for small races

6. Clerics
a. light or no armor unless their patron deity is a martial deity
b. healing and turn undead are domain abilities or domain spells
c. clerics spell list are tied to deity domains (no more access to all cleric spells)
d. class abilities are tied to deity domains
e. spontaneous divine casting (Unearthed Arcana)

7. Class customization of starting characters
a. UA class variants: barbarian hunter, cloistered cleric, bardic sage, divine bard, savage bard, urban ranger, martial rogue, wildernes rogue
b. Complete Champion spellless Paladins and Rangers
c. Urban/Wilderness Class skills
d. 4e Builds/Themes

8. Many starting class features are feats. After first level, many of the starting class features: armor and weapon proficiencies, class save bonus, improved unarmed strike, etc. are acquired via feats similar to Star Wars Saga. No dipping to avoid taking appropriate feats and the character gains the features over time.

9. PrCs, Paragon Paths, Epic Destinies, etc are not mandatory for upper tiers
10. Characters make sense in world
11. Multiclassing requires a trainer and time to train
12.Skills
a. 3e skill points (more skill points for cleric, fighter and sorcerer)
b. less broad skills
c. more realistic craft times

13. Equipment and Economy
a. silver standard
b. sunrods, thunderstones, spiked chains, thinblades, etc. moved to a supplement

14. Magic Item creation that works like Artificer's handbook (Mystic Eye Games) slot system
15. Action points that work like True20 Conviction

Last edited:

howandwhy99

Adventurer
To be able to legitimately play a reality puzzle game again as D&D and have support for it would be simply awesome. That would be of the highest importance for me, but I have my doubts as to the inclusiveness of playstyles that will be acknowledged.

Otherwise I'd just love some ingenuity in the peripheral modular elements. So unique games that can be added on for specific situations like mass combat or ship controls or chases or some CivilizationTM-like system.

Of course that includes all the potential adventures and campaign settings that could mashed together too, which I take to be the meat and potatoes of the game.

Emerikol

Adventurer
Heres a list all probably equally important...

1. Spells that can be used creatively that are open ended.
2. Classes that use different subsystems.
3. Common domains for common things. Meaning martial characters draw from a pool of martial abilities. Magical characters draw from a pool of spells. Not every class is completely unique. A little is ok.
4. A way to avoid plot couponish powers like fate points or daily powers for martial characters.

Not everything above has to be my way only. I just need for there to be options for it to be my way.

If someone's trying to create an 8-class character I'd have to rather pointedly ask why, and would expect an answer relating somehow to powergaming - shortly followed by an appearance of the smackdown hammer.

<snip>

Lan-"an 8-class character also probably needs psychotherapy ASAP"-efan

Part of my approach is my view to mechanics. To me, a level is not a definite piece of a character - it is just a package of abilities for the character. You get feats, you get ability score increases, you get levels.

Think of this character (a concept I've played). Son of a Noble in a line of Paladins - but he is out with his parents on a trip (he's about 8). They all get killed, and he barely escapes - and tramautized ends up in a city as a classic dickensian street thief. Then someone recognises him, and brings him to the temple - with his background he belonds in the temple to be a paladin, but because of his actions, he needs probation. So he is a fighter for a while, then he wins probation, and becomes a paladin. After gaining paladin spells, he realizes his true calling is in serving his god as a priest.

The character story arc is pretty standard (redeemed thief) - all of the choices are made in character, not for power gaming, or because of plot reasons (the probationary period) - it is completely organic with the character and his experiences. Say he spends 2 levels in each class until Cleric - that makes him a 7th level character as a first level cleric.

Why should someone with that level of character growth, who's beliefs and backgrounds should be penalized because the course of the character happens to fall across 4 classes.

Perhaps you have a character idea of a "Mysitc" - start of with physical training (Monk) and after mastering physical abilities (say monk at 5th or 6th) you move into even more mystical realms (and become a Sorcerer or Psion) of the "mytic path." That is only two, but very basic - the character is not a Monk, nor a Sorcerer or Psion - he is a "Mystic" as a character type - one which the player models by having multiple classes.

The first case uses classes as normally seen - an order or oginization for each class as a social role. The second, class levels are no more than a tool used to create the mystic.

I don't see why that would be bad. :D

Especially with "each class has it's own thing that no one can do better" - being able to freely multiclass keeps that from being a straightjacket -

Another thing I'd want from 5th - no formal roles stated and adventures set up that you don't have to cover all roles (fighter, cleric, thief, wizard) to complete - all fighter and all wizard parties are just as effective (if different) than a mixed group.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Nobody thinking quality adventures being important? Do you guys make all your adventures yourself or have DMs that make them for you?
When I DM, I make up the world and set the players loose on it. Sometimes I'll have a story arc in mind, or will come up with one based on what the players have been doing, but in general, it's sand-boxing and winging it, for me.

My current campaign, though, is a little different, I'm running it what I can only call 'Encounters style' since the (large, as many as 10 players some weeks) group is drawn from that event. So, I have to be a little more railroady and have an encounter ready every week, because that's what's expected. Still working out fine, though.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Without question it is combat speed. 5e really must balance combat time so that adventures can be a combination of combat, exploration and interaction. If combats take too long, it tips the balance.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I'm feeling the game has to be sloppier, faster, and lighter than the recent editions and utilize the creativity and cameraderie around the table more to keep things going. In particular,

• I want character gen to be very fast (or at least have that option.)
  • I want combat to run fast.
  • I want magic to be quirky, unreliable, and sometimes dangerous again.
  • I want more swing and variation in encounters and adventures.
  • I want to whip up a new NPC in about 5 min.
  • I want to whip up a new monster in about 5 min.
  • I want to modify a monster in less that that.
  • I don't want to worry about if everyone has exactly all the bells, whistles, and gewgaws that a character of X level should have.
Anyway, for everyone's sake, I hope 5e is a great game and does well. Its gonna be competing with DungeonWorld and 13th Age for my attention, though.

Mengu

First Post
This is not necessarily just for 5e, but really, any game system I'd want to consider using. In order of importance, though the first two are about equally important.

I want to be able to create any type of campaign world I want. I might use Harry Potter for inspiration, or Star Wars, or Iron Dragon, or Alice in Wonderland. I don't want to be forced to play in Greyhawk/Forgotten Realms or their derivatives.

I want to be able to create any type of character I want. And I don't mean, fighter, wizard, etc. I mean concept from a book, movie, fables, mythology, anywhere. We might play 13th warrior heroes, Runelords, Thundercats, Airbenders, Hoplites, Vampires, or whatever random concoction of heroes we might imagine.

I want to be able to create 4e-style interesting, tactical encounters with more purpose than just "kill 'em all", embedding game mechanical goal oriented elements into combat encounters. It is one of the things I absolutely love about 4e.

I want to be able to create action sequences, that are not necessarily combat, but with some exciting module for conflict resolution, to resolve chase scenes, escape from collapsing caves, and the like. (To elaborate, skill challenges in 4e fall short of the mark, when it comes to "exciting".)

I want to be able to run anything from high octane high action adventures, to political intrigue, exploration, investigation, and anything else that might work its way into a fantasy story, and a conflict resolution system to support it all.

Remove ads