D&D 5E What is most important to you for 5e?

Shadeydm

First Post
Most of all I want to see a core game that is the distilled bare bones essence of D&D that is playstyle neutral. (Even the fighter action dice should be an option not core IMHO)
I want to see lots and lots of optional modules with rules/mechanics from every edition and hopefully brand new ones too.
I want to be able to totally cherry pick and build my game to emulate any edition and any playstyle via those optional modules.

Regarding adventures: I think quality adventures would be great but if the game stinks they will have been wasted. Like Delta Green was one of the best sourcebooks/adventures I've ever read yet generally wasted money since nobody is playing that system.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Nobody thinking quality adventures being important? Do you guys make all your adventures yourself or have DMs that make them for you?

I generally do make them up myself. Most of my DMs over the years (for the limited amount I get to play instead of DM) made up their own too...now how much they took from published stuff I can't really say.

But, yes, I still want quality adventures from which to rip..er...I mean, "borrow" ideas. Or, even better, seeing something in a published adventure that sparks a different idea that I can make my own. nd if I like it so much I just run it, whole hog, as it is then fantastic! Adventures that are a good read, whether I ever play them or not, are also highly valued.

Your question kind of answers itself. That is, I think everyone wants quality/well-written/creative/<insert whatever adjective you think makes a "good" adventure here> published modules. I don't think anyone would advocate having/wanting crappy adventures published just for the sake of publishing something with a "For 5e!" on the cover.

Li Shenron

Legend
I want 5e to allow me to run a large variety of D&D campaigns (e.g. letting me to emphasize downtime activity in one campaing, exploration in another and so on...) but without getting headaches because of rules complexity.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Nobody thinking quality adventures being important? Do you guys make all your adventures yourself or have DMs that make them for you?
If I'm buying a D&D book, I'm buying it to get something I don't already have. I don't have a way of taking a fantasy action adventure and converting the setting, characters, and events into discrete game mechanics (or at least I didn't before I bought my D&D books).

OTOH, I have more good stories and character ideas and setting elements than I know what to do with. And if I didn't, I'd just check out a (non-D&D) book/movie/news story for some inspiration.

As to the legwork; I've never seen any premade stat blocks/maps/etc. for any system, D&D or otherwise, that I would use out of the book; that stuff is just wasted space.

So to me the answer is a definitive no. YMMV.

Pour

First Post
It has to add something new to the D&D conversation. It has to provide me with a legitimate game that isn't so derived from past editions that I could simply play those games and have a more robust and tailored experience. It has to be a 5th edition and not a distillation of any sort of D&D 'truth' (which I'm not sure I believe exists). I want a lot of new settings and planes, also. I am a sucker for settings and planes.

... Oh, and it has to fix the economic crisis.

A game loose enough with balance to easily run it assuming imbalance, but have it there for those who want it (optional one or the other).

More power to the GM, less to the rules than 4th or 3rd.

More interaction with the world and GM and less interaction on the character sheet - you don't look at Char sheet to see what you can do - you tell the GM what you do, and end up looking at sheet to see if you succeed or fail.

Lots of Spells. Lots of combat options for non casters.

Workable, flavorful Multiclassing.

Classes not being and in world thing, but a game design view of a package of mechanics, so the character isn't "A fighter" but "Bob" - with class, theme, background, possible multiclassing just being metagame concepts. A 3rd ed like system like that, but less definition of classes (especially prestige class type things) within world. The levels are just a discreet set of abilities that you give your character. Someone with 8 levels in 8 different classes is a viable and workable character - and none of those classes really define the character. (Yeah, I come from a point based system preference) - but if the GM wants his world to be defined by classes so you aren't playing Bob, but Bob the figther, the system supports that. It just isn't default play (or what I want as an optional module that is in the core book).

Stormonu

Legend
I want something that works with the 30+ years of D&D stuff I have - and for which I can get new adventures and supplements that all works together.

And at the very least, I want something I'll want to play - not that will end up sitting on my shelf collecting dust unused.

stoloc

First Post
I agree having a decent starting adventure will be important (UNLIKE 4e had at the start) but I think when you ask what folks think is most important thats not gonna rank up there as high as some other things.

For me I want a balanced game that is simpler and faster than 4e but gives better ballance than 3e and is more "unified" than 1/2e (by that I mean doesnt have the quirky rules where some things you roll high, some you roll low).

For me I hope the original Adventure is more like the one thats in kickstarter right now or T1-4 than the crap they did for 4e. Personally I think a huge part of the problem 4e's had was the loss of talent to pathfinder and other companies for adventures. I hate the pathfinder system compared to 4e but their products blow wotc's away.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Ok, any of you DM's that are overflowing with campaign ideas that live in Norway and want a new player? I don't think I have had time or will to create my own campaign in a long time and the other DM in our group got a kid and haven't been DM-ing for 2 years. :p

Btw, I find all your answers really interesting, mostly because they are so incredibly different.

Remove ads