• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is Science-Fantasy to you?

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
NeuroZombie said:
Is it alien races with swords and spells?
Is it (a world like) Greyhawk with lazer guns and hovercrafts?
Is it Barsoom or the Mars of John Carter?

Yes.

Also, Nausicaa (and at least one-third of all other anime), Star Wars, Hannah-Barbera's 60s Space Action Heroes, ERB's Pellucidar stories, about a quarter of his Tarzans, DC's Warlord...and a host of others.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
some time ago in the forum for books, movies and such I discussed how it really is just a title now days. What was pulp became science fiction and fantasy, now fantasy is becoming science-fantasy and action-adventure. I see it as pulp-science and pulp-action because the characters are bigger than life and perform impossible deads but it still goes back to the pulp media, it was just entertainment. :)

Halivar

First Post
Aaron2 said:
Boring and/or preachy --> Science Fiction.

Fun and/or entertaining --> Science Fantasy.
Hrmm, by that definition...

Arthur C. Clarke = Science Fiction.

Frank Herbert = Science Fantasy.

Good enough for me.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Aaron2 said:

Fun and/or entertaining --> Science Fantasy.

Aaron

Challenging and Stimulating --> Science Fiction

Silly pseudo-mystical Fluff --> "Science" Fantasy

:D

In all seriousness, I really agree with China Mieville's sentiments- there is no difference between fantasy and science fiction. The simplistic definition is that one is plausible and the other is not falls somewhat flat. Even if a novel or story conforms with what is known by modern science, it is limited to those areas of modern science of which the author has a grasp. "Science" does not exist as a monolithic entity- it is a massive collection of work, all to often conflicting, done by millions of researchers around the world- often completely independent of one another. All one has to do is listen to modern debates over cosmology, string theory, chaos theory or the mind/body problem to know that there is no universally agreed upon "scientific establishment". In addition, what is "science fiction" that is based upon information that has now been largely thrown out by the court of opinion? One only need look at much sci-fi written forty years ago to see how quickly such material becomes "fantasy".

For instance, I've often heard Star Trek described as science-fiction, while Star Wars is described as science fantasy- but wait! Star Trek includes beings with supernatural and unexplained powers, psychics, plenty of voodoo physics, etc... all provinces of fantasy. Many extremely good authors of what is known as "hard science fiction" almost verge on this realm at times, too- one must only look at Stephenson's magical and theological musings in Snow Crash or Vinge's pseudo-magical cosmology in A Fire Upon the Deep to realize that these guys aren't necessarily much harder-nosed than the creators of Final Fantasy VII or Perdido Street Station.

Really, all speculative fiction is that- fiction, regardless of whether you add the moniker "science" or "fantasy" to it. I prefer the term "speculative" to describe it all, as it posits that it is fiction about a hypothetical reality, rather than one based in (presumed) history or (presumed) contemporary society.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Aaron2 said:

I assume by this that you have never read Transhuman Space - it is science fiction in the best sense of the word, but it isn't preachy (it gives every view equal opportunity time, which tends to get rather... disturbing at times), and it certainly ain't boring.

I'd probably label Transhuman Space as one of the best science fiction RPG settings out there if not the best.

And as for the best science fantasy setting, I'd choose Fading Suns. Now that's a fun setting...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Tyler Do'Urden said:
For instance, I've often heard Star Trek described as science-fiction, while Star Wars is described as science fantasy- but wait! Star Trek includes beings with supernatural and unexplained powers, psychics, plenty of voodoo physics, etc... all provinces of fantasy.

There is one typical difference between the unexplained powers, psychics, voodoo physics and magic. Magic tends to reflect upon or deal with the spiritual nature of the practitioner or the world. Science typically does not.

Umbran said:
There is one typical difference between the unexplained powers, psychics, voodoo physics and magic. Magic tends to reflect upon or deal with the spiritual nature of the practitioner or the world. Science typically does not.
Not necessarily. Lots of fantasy has magic as a pseudo-scientific "natural" phenoma. That certainly doesn't invalidate such works as fantasy literature.

Remove ads