What is the 2nd controler ?

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
I believe the ranger has been confirmed as a Striker, but not her power source.

Please let it be Martial, as I have never dug the divine/spell-casting aspect of the ranger class.

Li Shenron

Legend
Baby Samurai said:
I believe the ranger has been confirmed as a Striker, but not her power source.

Please let it be Martial, as I have never dug the divine/spell-casting aspect of the ranger class.

Why can't the Ranger have 2 power sources? Martial for his martial abilities, and divine for his spellcasting abilities?

Because when you standardize stuff into strict categories (role + power source) you create your own design trap :]

I know, I'm boring and I rant about the same thing every day :p

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
Li Shenron said:
Why can't the Ranger have 2 power sources? Martial for his martial abilities, and divine for his spellcasting abilities?

How about waiting to release the class in the PHB II with a Nature power source?

Doug McCrae

Legend
Druids are so versatile they could perform any role, though probably closest to striker or leader. Controller is the poorest fit as they don't have a lot of movement affecting powers. Yes, entangle and spike stones. But compare that to the amount of damage dealing, buffing and healing they possess.

Prediction: After wizard, we won't see another controller for a looong time. Maybe never.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Nifft said:
Mire of Minaros sounded Controller-ish. Could the Warlock be the 2nd Controller?
From the most recent podcast we know the warlock is a striker. Three strikers out of 8 (maybe) PHB classes does seem a lot but hey, everyone wants to be dps.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Given that the druid is very hard to pigeonhole, perhaps he'll have more than one role. Like a leader/controller or something. It breaks the idea behind roles, of giving every class a clear job within the party but otoh maybe some people like to play jacks of all trades.

Li Shenron

Legend
Doug McCrae said:
Druids are so versatile they could perform any role, though probably closest to striker or leader. Controller is the poorest fit as they don't have a lot of movement affecting powers. Yes, entangle and spike stones. But compare that to the amount of damage dealing, buffing and healing they possess.

The druid could be given more elemental spells to become more a controller: Wall of Fire, Wall of Stone and similar would quite fit IMHO, plus some Air spells that toss the targets around, slow/block them or knock them down for instance.

Cadfan

First Post
I'm with Doug McCrae.

The controller is the hardest type of class to design. While a lot of people have come up with controller-ish ideas that could be attached to a martial class, none of the ideas I've seen so far seem strong enough to support the class on their own. They seem like nice controller-ish add-ons that could be granted to other classes, but not enough to truly specialize the character.

Doug McCrae said:
Given that the druid is very hard to pigeonhole, perhaps he'll have more than one role. Like a leader/controller or something. It breaks the idea behind roles, of giving every class a clear job within the party but otoh maybe some people like to play jacks of all trades.

Or break it into 2 classes. It suffers from the same problem the wizard does: it does too much. The wizard's realm has been said to be scaled back in order to let other arcane casters hvae a chance to shine. So maybe break the druid into a shifter class (defender), and a caster class (controller).

Remove ads