• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What is the appeal of the weird fantasy races?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
What is with this bizarre assumption that availability of a race for PCs = presence in the setting?

It's obviously wrong.

Why won't it die?
Well, because at a minimum playing a race in a setting means that PC is in the setting, right? I mean, tat's practically a tautology.

Placing a standing population of a race is a different question, of course. I suppose some DMs are worried that having a PC that is, e.g., The Only Loxodon, that that will overshadow everything else in the campaign. It's not inevitable, but I believe it's a reasonable concern.

Oofta

Legend
What is with this bizarre assumption that availability of a race for PCs = presence in the setting?

It's obviously wrong.

Why won't it die?

I don't see it as obviously wrong. It may not feel wrong to you, and that's fine. But yes, if a loxodon walked in the door I would wonder why it was the only one in existence, where it came from, what's it's story. Because in my campaign it would be odd that there was no historical record of loxodons, no previous encounters. You can only do the "unique one off" races so many times before it would feel artificial to me.

Different strokes for different folks.

Well, because at a minimum playing a race in a setting means that PC is in the setting, right? I mean, tat's practically a tautology.

Placing a standing population of a race is a different question, of course. I suppose some DMs are worried that having a PC that is, e.g., The Only Loxodon, that that will overshadow everything else in the campaign. It's not inevitable, but I believe it's a reasonable concern.
It's a minimum but not sufficient condition.

The fact that the race needs to be in the setting somewhere does not mean it is necessarily appropriate to play in a campaign.

I wonder how reasonable a concern this actually is though. If the DM controls the spotlight, it seems like they'd be in charge of what is allowed to overshadow the campaign?

I don't see it as obviously wrong. It may not feel wrong to you, and that's fine. But yes, if a loxodon walked in the door I would wonder why it was the only one in existence, where it came from, what's it's story. Because in my campaign it would be odd that there was no historical record of loxodons, no previous encounters. You can only do the "unique one off" races so many times before it would feel artificial to me.

Different strokes for different folks.
I think you have it the wrong way round. I'm not arguing that you should include a race, even if it has no place in the setting. I'm arguing that just because you can fit it in the setting somewhere doesn't necessarily make it an appropriate race for a specific campaign.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I wonder how reasonable a concern this actually is though. If the DM controls the spotlight, it seems like they'd be in charge of what is allowed to overshadow the campaign?
I do, too, sort of. I imagine different DMs have had different experiences with characters/players who kept hogging the spotlight ...

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Such things exist you just don't get to play it. For example let's say my world half elves exist along with the language. People know that there were ancient wars against the great evil. Elves disappeared not to long after the great wars. They survived but are in hiding, perhaps in extra dimensional pocket. The twist is the Elves were the great evil and the survivors spent that time burying that information then sodding off to hide. So yes elves exist but are unavailable to be played even if you could get creative trying to justify why you get to play one. Note the DM doesn't want to reveal the fact they're still around. Not hard to figure out they were around. Or the DM wants to focus on the politics of the 8-12 races they allow. Can you theoretically play one eg do they exist. Yes. Should you play one. No. Classic Drow can fit into that category. Or XYZ was genocided 3000 years ago. Who did it is returning or still around and you're next.
Edited quote to remove lots of line breaks....

Reading your perfectly reasonable plot thread in a campaign, here is how I, as the GM, would approach that.

ME: OK guys, i'm running a different story here so you can be whatever race you want EXCEPT elves.

Jim: Oh man, I really wanted to try the Dung Elf from the new book that just came out, it has a cool new Fecal Point(tm) system that looked fun.

ME: Well there aren't elves, so maybe you could make a half-elf?

Jim: Thats odd that I can be a half-elf when there aren't any elves...

ME: I know, right?

Jim: Well, let me see what else I can be, then.

ME: (after thinking about it for a while and realizing that a good way to distribute my breadcrumbs about the super secret elf story is to do it through an elf) Hey, Jim. I reconsidered. You CAN play a Dung Elf, but you have to know that you will literally be the only Dung Elf in the entire world and everyone is just going to think you are a Half-Dung-Elf. Also I know its a tired old trope, but you are going to start only remembering the past year or so that you spent adventuring with the rest of the party. You literally cannot remember where you came from, but you can explore that as the game goes on.

Jim: Awesome...mystery man Dung Elf Barbarian.

Oofta

Legend
I have had players that wanted to hog the spotlight and, frankly, it can be tough to deal with. In my case it didn't have anything to do with race, it was someone that abused the noble background.

In any case I'm not that concerned about race overshadowing anything because those players will probably just find something else. For me it's more about a consistent world and it's history along with personal preference.

I do, too, sort of. I imagine different DMs have had different experiences with characters/players who kept hogging the spotlight ...
I can see how bad experience could color that view. It just seems odd to me to associate that problem with a chosen fantasy race rather than with the particular player. If I squint, I guess I could see it as a 'red flag' kind of deal.

Zardnaar

Legend
Edited quote to remove lots of line breaks....

Reading your perfectly reasonable plot thread in a campaign, here is how I, as the GM, would approach that.

ME: OK guys, i'm running a different story here so you can be whatever race you want EXCEPT elves.

Jim: Oh man, I really wanted to try the Dung Elf from the new book that just came out, it has a cool new Fecal Point(tm) system that looked fun.

ME: Well there aren't elves, so maybe you could make a half-elf?

Jim: Thats odd that I can be a half-elf when there aren't any elves...

ME: I know, right?

Jim: Well, let me see what else I can be, then.

ME: (after thinking about it for a while and realizing that a good way to distribute my breadcrumbs about the super secret elf story is to do it through an elf) Hey, Jim. I reconsidered. You CAN play a Dung Elf, but you have to know that you will literally be the only Dung Elf in the entire world and everyone is just going to think you are a Half-Dung-Elf. Also I know its a tired old trope, but you are going to start only remembering the past year or so that you spent adventuring with the rest of the party. You literally cannot remember where you came from, but you can explore that as the game goes on.

Jim: Awesome...mystery man Dung Elf Barbarian.
Except there's NPCs who know elves existed, you would stand out and the ancient enemies of said elves are still around as well.

Once you're identified as an elf you're basically dead or kidnapped.

Ergo no elf. You would stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm also not a fan of amnesiac, world travelling or other similar backgrounds people come up with to justify anything.

In my scenario the no Elf thing would be hard and fast.

Drow might exist as well but no you can't play one.

I might not let Tieflings or other monstrous races in either.

Tine of settling my. Elves are a big mystery, nope there's one right rherewalking around in broad daylight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads