• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What is the appeal of the weird fantasy races?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Specifically we are talking about climbing a sheer cliff. Not one with steps, which are what goats use. They may look like the cliffs are sheer in pictures, but they aren't even close. Climbing a rope and a rope ladder have been other examples.
Even the ones with some narrow ledge steps are accessible by the much narrower and smaller mountain goats with the smaller, cloven, pointed hooves to step on those ledges and into cracks. A centaur under similar circumstances would be unable to climb.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The horse legs prevent the body of the centaur from having the same range of motion that a humanoid has. They obviously can lay down, but they won't be able to effectively "hug" the wall like humans do
It's irrelevant. If they can bend, then when they bend, the horse chest which is wide pries the human torso away from the cliff and the centaur falls. If they don't bend, the horse sticks straight out. It's lose-lose because of the centaurs body shape

Why not?

Many of the 6 limbed beings in real life can be flush to surfaces.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Why not?

Many of the 6 limbed beings in real life can be flush to surfaces.
Seriously? You're going to not compare apples to apples. Not compare apples to oranges. But try to compare apples to the Mona Lisa? Those real world creatures are shaped nothing like a centaur and have nothing like horse hooves and are sized nothing like the centaur and are not nearly as heavy.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Seriously? You're going to not compare apples to apples. Not compare apples to oranges. But try to compare apples to the Mona Lisa? Those real world creatures are shaped nothing like a centaur and have nothing like horse hooves and are sized nothing like the centaur and are not nearly as heavy.
Because they aren't real and we don't know their full anatomy.
Centaurs don't and cant exist in our world as we know it.
We don't even know it they have pelvises. Or where and how big and how many lungs, hearts, and stomachs they have.

So anything based on their bones, muscles, and other organs are made up houserules.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Because they aren't real and we don't know their full anatomy.
Centaurs don't and cant exist in our world as we know it.
We can see enough to make the decision. The have horse bodies, so that anatomy we know. The rest is just mechanical at that point. It doesn't mater how their internal organs develop or how flexible the humanoid torso is, none of that is going to allow the centaur to climb.

The anatomy Red Herring is just that. A Red Herring.

I mean, this conversation hasn't been serious for a while. There are no apples to apples comparisons happening anywhere, because centaurs aren't real creatures.

The truly remarkable thing here is the unironic level of indignation in this response.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
We can see enough to make the decision. The have horse bodies, so that anatomy we know. The rest is just mechanical at that point. It doesn't mater how their internal organs develop or how flexible the humanoid torso is, none of that is going to allow the centaur to climb.

The anatomy Red Herring is just that. A Red Herring.
We don't see the pelvic bone sattaching the humaniod to the equine.

That's the whole reason for the conversation.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
We don't see the pelvic bone sattaching the humaniod to the equine.
We don't have to, because it's irrelevant. Pick any way you choose for it to attach and the creature still won't be able to climb. 100% flexible and 0% flexible both result in no ability to climb a cliff or wall.

Chaosmancer

Legend
That's not my argument as I presented. My argument is that RAW allows that race to be played as a PC, not that you can just choose it. Obviously the DM has to approve it.

Who cares about DM approval. That is completely ancillary to my point.

My point is that if you want to say "By RAW I can homebrew, therefore the things I homebrew are RAW" then everything is RAW.

Or, we can acknowledge that homebrew is homebrew. No matter where you grabbed the base line from.

If the DM wants to allow it, sure. I'd say no, but... And again, my argument is not that it's a RAW option, but that RAW allows it. There are rules in place for that to happen.

And I acknowledged pages ago that you can homebrew anything.

But, what, you wanted to score points by saying that homebrewing is something approved by RAW? Okay, cool, should I point out that rolling dice is approved by RAW too? It has nothing to do with the discussion, but neither does pointing out that doing a thing I said you could do and that the book approves is approved by the book.

Ahh, so you're using controllable differently than I was. The druid controls what the statblock does. That's all that matters for it to meet my example. The DM can also alter any PHB race and class, so the players don't control(in the way you're using it) those, either. They are just using them, just like druids use the bear statblock when shapeshifting and would use the centaur statblock as a PC.

"Controlling what the statblock does" is a weird way to look at controlling a character.

But, again, yeah, a DM could homebrew any class or any race, changing them for any purposes.

But while a player would be perfectly fine to go on DnD Beyond and click "Races" and "Classes" and pick from the officially written races or classes, no one would say that they are perfectly fine to click on "Monsters" and do the same thing for the primary character.

Sure, they might need to become a beast, but this is still fundamentally different from "My PC is a full-blooded Rakshasa"

That I didn't know as I skipped that edition.

They were not fey in BECMI, 1e, 2e or 3e.

Not even Fey associated? But again, it doesn't matter. They were explicitly fey last edition. So, this is not the huge stretch you are making it out to be.

Silly rules are silly. Horses, even ones with an extra set of hands, cannot climb a vertical wall at 1/4 speed.

Sorry, you might want to correct that to "Rules I think are silly I think are silly" because "silly" is not an objective standard.

Sure, you hate the fact that Centaurs can climb, you think it is ridiculous. Well... that doesn't change the RAW. No amount of "but it is silly" is going to cause that text to change.

Can you homebrew it? Sure. You can homebrew anything. But it is homebrew. It is changing the rules. Because just calling a rule silly doesn't change it.

Nope. It's too silly to allow just based on horses climbing walls. No need for your fallacious additions.

Sigh

Clearly a sign that you weren't even reading my post. Because those additions were referencing the alternate solution of using a block and tackle, rope, and leather sling so that the centaur can deal with walls.

But, you can't look past your own preconceptions even far enough to see that.

Then you can point to the rule that says that. Neither the climbing ability nor the lore says that as far as I can see. You're free to make that up for your centaurs if you wish, though.

Huh, would that be... homebrew?

Sort of like... homebrewing them to be large creatures?

Hmmmmmmmm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that the actual body of a creature is pretty much never incorporated in carrying capacity calculations under RAW anyway, what's your point?

Yeah, not only is the person's body weight never calculated into their encumbrance, but there is a second consideration.

600 lbs is their total weight. Assuming that they are rather stocky individuals, you could assume that they are close to 200 lbs if human, taking their torso you might argue that their human half wieghs about 100 pounds.

So, 500 lbs of horse

But, additionally, at least some of the horse bodies weight would be supported by the hooves making contact with the wall, even if we assume that most of their bottom half is hanging, that is likely closer to 300 lbs rather than the full 500.

All of which is to say that the idea of them weighing too much to lift themselves solely with their arms seems to be missing a a few key points.

But I figured that that wouldn't exactly gain a lot of traction in this case.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DM adjudicates based on conditions. That is why climbing has a DC number attached. For some circumstances, where conditions are poor, like a rope that has been coated in oil, the DC goes up. For others, like climbing around on boulders with no time restraint, the DC might be lower.
This same logic applies to weight. A dwarf holding a baby in one hand is going to have a harder time climbing. A dwarf holding a baby in each hand probably can't climb. A dwarf in plate armor with two babies tied to its back has a higher DC than the dwarf with no gear in his pirate clothes.
The centaur bouldering might have a lower DC than the dwarf. They might have a DC of 40 if they are asked to climb up a 50' rope with nothing around.
Every table I have ever seen considers these rules as normal. No one that I have ever seen would call a table ridiculous for using these rules. So, why argue about the centaur climbing a rope? The DM sets the DC. That is the way rules work. That is the way the entire game is set up.
Now, if you want to try and persuade the DM to lower the DC, I think most DMs are down for that.

All true with one exception. And this is a pet peeve of mine.

Normal climbing has no DC.

A Dwarf in full armor with babies strapped to him and a dwarf with no gear and pirate clothes can both climb a tree with no check. Especially since the the babies likely don't reach the dwarf's encumbrance.

A dwarf with a single baby... that might require a check, but considering it was no check before, should it be a difficult check? I don't think so.

But, the problem is that people seem to think that every attempt to climb has a check. Which is frustrating, because then every low strength character trying to scale a tree or climb a rope is getting penalized when they should not be. Which then makes mildly difficult climbs nearly impossible.

But, per RAW, it takes a fairly intense situation to even require a check for a character to climb.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
We don't have to, because it's irrelevant. Pick any way you choose for it to attach and the creature still won't be able to climb. 100% flexible and 0% flexible both result in no ability to climb a cliff or wall.
It attaches like a horse neck.
Boom.
Centaurs can climb near flush with bended knees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads