D&D 5E What is the appeal of the weird fantasy races?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
In a way I think it's helped D&D become such a successful game. I can sit down at a table with almost any other D&D player, even in a totally "unique" setting, and we all know what dwarves, elves, and halflings are.
It is useful to have that common touchstone, for sure. That’s why it’s good that D&D has both the familiar and the more outlandish as options.

ccs

41st lv DM
Why would I play one of the weird anthro types?
*Probably because I've got a cool mini for it.
*Sometimes I've got a good idea for one.
*Sometimes there's an opening based upon how plays gone to introduce such a character.
So ill run the idea past the DM & the group.

I DM alot so I'm not going to waste my PC time playing something just to be weird, or just for a mechanic/bonus.
If it won't fit the game? Then I won't even bring it up. And thats ok as I've got plenty of ideas for "normal" characters.

Most would say that the weirdest characters I've played have been a sentient parrot & a dog that could wildshape into a 1/2ling.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’ve got no problem with people wanting to play non-Tolkien races and have myself played Wolfmen, Kenku and a a Williowisp warlock :)

however in a Human dominated world, all those weird races are defined as monsters and should be treated as such - if they try to enter a Town they will face prejudice, hostility and out right aggression. The players roleplaying challenge is how they deal with being monsters

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My impression is that a lot of players, even if they won't admit it, pick those races first and foremost for powergaming reasons. They look for a race that will grant them some edge along with their class. Same reason variant human is so popular: as soon as you get rid of the free feat, you see humans become the least chosen race.
Statistically, the most powerful races aren't the most popular. Default human, however, is.
If you grew up on Sesame Street you want to kill monsters. If you grew up on Daniel Tiger you want to be a monster. Maybe it's related to kids' TV.
Well that doesn't track. I grew up on Sesame Street and Eureka's Castle, and have no clue what Daniel Tiger even is, but I'd certainly rather play monsters than kill them, and I can't imagine what about any of those shows encourages anything other than living peacefully alongside those who are very different from ourselves.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
@Monayuris, what is the appeal of playing a human?
I'm not @Monayuris and I'm not speaking for them, but I find the less humanlike races harder to make as actual fictional people--there's just too much of a gulf between them and me. I find it easier to do with more humanlike characters--and yes, I find it easiest to do with humans. That's not a judgment on people wanting to play what they want to play, just my preference for what I play.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Hmm. If you grew up on Sesame Street you want to kill monsters.
Huh? There are lots of monsters on Sesame Street and to a one they’re good people. Maybe Oscar is a bit of a grouch, but nothing about the show would suggest killing him would be a good thing. Sesame Street is all about the love and tolerance.

Also, in my experience, every LGBTQIA person wants to be the monsters.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'm not @Monayuris and I'm not speaking for them, but I find the less humanlike races harder to make as actual fictional people--there's just too much of a gulf between them and me. I find it easier to do with more humanlike characters--and yes, I find it easiest to do with humans. That's not a judgment on people wanting to play what they want to play, just my preference for what I play.

I'm the opposite.
I find roleplaying relatable people boring and tiring. I like diving into different ways to think and different personality quirks. This is one of the reasons why I like roleplaying NPCs as a DM. I can go hard on their personality, quirks, logic, and other characteristics because they aren't the focus and have short stints.

As aplayer, I find most DMs roleplay traditional races as humans and due to their control of the world and my respect as a player, I don't push. It would be weird and rude if I roleplayed my 600 year elf snob like a 600 year old elf snob if the DM isn't RPing every elf like that.

But if I roleplay my catman like a catman...

Mallus

Legend
Why do people chose these races?
Probably because they think it'll be fun.
To me, elves and dwarves have a human element. But Turtle people, and cat people and demon people and dragon people seem like the new normal. Do people who play D&D now, feel more comfortable with role-playing animalistic type characters than before?
Turtle-people and demon-people are people, too. Just like Tolkienesque elves & dwarves.
It is kind of off-putting when your player party is a bunch of bird people, elephant people, demon people, cat people... and so on. I mean are humans even relevant in D&D anymore?
Were humans made irrelevant by a dozen elven sub-races introduced 30 years ago? Or the entities you'd find in a corner pub in Sigil?
I don't think I've ever ran a group that had a single human in it.
If you want to play a game with a more controlled or limited aesthetic, pitch it to your players. Maybe use the phrase "it'll be like Game of Thrones" (adjust pitch according if they're still mad about the ending of Game of Thrones).

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads