D&D 5E What is the best class for a single class only campaign?

What is the best class for a single class only campaign?

• Homebrew/Other

• Artificer

• Barbarian

• Bard

• Cleric

• Druid

• Fighter

• Monk

• Paladin

• Ranger

• Rogue

• Sorcerer

• Warlock

• Wizard

• Eric Noah is my half-fiend love child.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
can you explain as I was two- three back then.
I'm also an old-timer here. That avatar I was using back in 1999 on this website - sort of. So I'll share some of the lore - yes, this website has LORE.

EN stands for Eric Noah. He had a D&D news site with a forum that was wildly popular. This was the transition between 2nd ed and 3rd, and it was a WILD time. 3e seemed SO MODERN compared to 2nd ed. Old timers were going on about the time AD&D changed to 2nd ed AD&D and how we had seen nothing yet bla bla bla.

Eventually Eric Noah stepped back and Morrus took over, and the name changed a bit and became EN's World. One of the early norm was not to post anything that would offend Eric Noah's grandma - to keep it PG basically. And people respected that - but playfully danced around the edges of what was acceptable. For example, 3e had a lot of "half-X" templates (like half draconic, half fiend, etc) that you add onto a monster to make it different/more powerful. So makings references to those in coy ways was a way to make a "dirty" joke.

So in polls - we had polls back then too, perhaps even more - there often was a joke option instead of just "other". I am Eric Noah's half-fiend lovechild was one. Others were "I am Branich Blacksmoke!" and... well I'll let others explain that one :D

If I made a mistake or missed something, I'm sure the other old timers will step in.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
This is theoretically true, but in a party of Rogues if you completely dump dexterity your whole party can't sneak well, even with expertise, which is one of the advantages to having a 5-Rogue party.

On the other hand you could go with 14 dexterity and medium Armor and have a AC pretty close to heavy armor while still being decent at sneaking with disadvantage due to expertise. You could do this with heavy armor and a 14 dex too, but you would need to get a feat for 1 point in AC.
It's true that you don't need max dex to be decent at stealth... but a 5 member group can do group checks quite well if most of the members are stealthy - you can probably afford one clanker.

ECMO3

Hero
I see. I think the order of the artificer classes is correct. I however don´t think that they rate that low. But then the most effective barbarians are in the same tier...

I do strongly believe that the Artificers all should be put one tier higher. A caster with half access to spells and the ability to create magic items can`t rank that low.
I would agree. In a low magic campaign in particular an artificer is pretty awesome with the infusions, the artificer can make more magic items then many campaigns will have at low levels. At the other end of the spectrum on a high magic campaign being able to attune to an extra item can be a big deal. In between these extremes it is less of a boon.

cmad1977

Hero
The best class is the one most fitting the scenario.

Traveling band? Bards.
Elite strike force? Fighters or rogues
Magic academy? Wizards etc.

Best relies not on stat blocks but with fit.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Eventually Eric Noah stepped back and Morrus took over, and the name changed a bit and became EN's World. One of the early norm was not to post anything that would offend Eric Noah's grandma - to keep it PG basically. And people respected that - but playfully danced around the edges of what was acceptable. For example, 3e had a lot of "half-X" templates (like half draconic, half fiend, etc) that you add onto a monster to make it different/more powerful. So makings references to those in coy ways was a way to make a "dirty" joke.

So in polls - we had polls back then too, perhaps even more - there often was a joke option instead of just "other". I am Eric Noah's half-fiend lovechild was one. Others were "I am Branich Blacksmoke!" and... well I'll let others explain that one :D

If I made a mistake or missed something, I'm sure the other old timers will step in.
There was also an "Eric Noah is my half-fiend love child" song by Ettin, but it seems to be lost in the mists of the interwebs.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Probably the best one would be Cleric. (Probably also the most boring)

I think Bard wouldn't be a bad pick either, since you can just call your party 'a band', get a talking familiar and go solve crimes :p
Gang.

Scooby hung out with a gang, not a band (except for The Monkees).

Grakarg

Explorer
My preference would be for a 'themed' party instead of a party of all one class. Like everyone needs to be an arcane caster of some sort, or a divine caster, or be proficient in thieves tools, etc. It makes for a way more interesting and balanced party.
Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster, Arcana Domain Cleric, and a Loremaster Bard for example.

Zardnaar

Legend
My preference would be for a 'themed' party instead of a party of all one class. Like everyone needs to be an arcane caster of some sort, or a divine caster, or be proficient in thieves tools, etc. It makes for a way more interesting and balanced party.
Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster, Arcana Domain Cleric, and a Loremaster Bard for example.

Not a bad theme that one.

Closest I saw was everyone was proficient in instruments so they formed a band.

Remove ads