• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the essence of D&D

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
OK. What spells do I have memorized; 'cause if I'm going first you can bet the farm I ain't leading off with darts. :)

Your one first level spell is already gone in this scenario that @Garthanos has set up where the 1st level wizard is somehow better in combat than a 1st level fighter.

That, and why would a wizard not start out with staff as the first proficiency? d6 damage, has a bit of reach, has some non-combat uses, and you're all set if you ever happen to find a magical staff later. (and in some versions, wielding a staff - being a large-ish 2-handed weapon - in melee gave a point of AC as well)

What wizard wants to walk into melee with probably 2, lucky to have 4 hit points?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So they did nothing fast. So what.

3d3 is not nothing at level 1 there is less chances rolled 3 times of completely missing than the fighter has ... and guess what its vs kobolds and all the various other things at level 1 and many of them humanoids using weapons

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
3d3 is not nothing at level 1 there is less chances rolled 3 times of completely missing than the fighter has ... and guess what its vs kobolds and all the various other things at level 1 and many of them humanoids using weapons
3d3 isn't going to happen. You'll be lucky to do 1d3 in any given round.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Nope that sleep spell makes him the parties big gun... firing off 3 darts makes him less than totally useless afterwards.
Unlike you apparently, I actually played wizards in 1e. They were still totally useless after using their one spell, even with darts. The number of times that my wizards made a difference with a d3 hit was miniscule.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
3d3 isn't going to happen. You'll be lucky to do 1d3 in any given round.
The fighter with raging 5 percentiles more your math sucks.

.3x2 + .3x2 + .3x2== 2 mage
.4 x 5.5 == 2.25 fighter

I gave him 10 percentiles in the above

Your fighter is not super impressively better....
And the dart thrower is at range...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The fighter with raging 5 percentiles more your math sucks.

.3x2 + .3x2 + .3x2== 2 mage
.4 x 5.5 == 2.25 fighter

Your math sucks.

1 hit from a wizard: average damage with a dart 2
1 hit from a fighter: average damage with a bastard sword 6(5+1 for str)

It wasn't about damage over time. It was about putting down what you hit.

At least the fighter will have a good chance of killing what he hits. The wizard just ends up dead when the creature he hits swings back.

Remove ads