What is the essence of D&D

Hussar

Legend
Note, MR was not a static number. It was adjusted for the level of the caster. Or was that only in 1e? Did they change that in 2e?

But, again, why would you bother using Hold Monster on a T-Rex? Tap it with a Charm monster and you had a pet FOREVER. :D

But, again, this is just fluff and distraction from the actual point. Which is talking about the primacy of magic.

Who really cares about the minutia of casting in 2e? It's so pointless. Of course, blathering on with pointless garbage is easier than actually engaging with the point.

Zardnaar

Legend
Note, MR was not a static number. It was adjusted for the level of the caster. Or was that only in 1e? Did they change that in 2e?

But, again, why would you bother using Hold Monster on a T-Rex? Tap it with a Charm monster and you had a pet FOREVER. :D

But, again, this is just fluff and distraction from the actual point. Which is talking about the primacy of magic.

Who really cares about the minutia of casting in 2e? It's so pointless. Of course, blathering on with pointless garbage is easier than actually engaging with the point.

It was static they changed it from 1E.

There's more than one way to tame magic, 2E I like a lot in that regard.

Our fighters used the phb, some got to high levels and they were very useful to have around with saving throws rarelybfsiked, enough hp to soak a power word.

The power level on a lot if spells was a lot lower, at higher level save or suck was very unreliable and buffing the fighter was often a better idea, even a simple strength spell could ramp up a fighters strength to 18/00.

Essence of D&D team based game. Fighters deal more damage, smart fighter protects the wizard, smart wizard buffs fighter.

It's only a problem when that dynamic breaks down (hello 3E). Magic was a lot weaker in B/X and 2E vs 1E and 3E and the Dynamics were different. The C part of BECMI transitioned to political and domain type stuff.

Even 3E wasn't that bad at a casual level, didn't see to many Druids most groups didn't use wands of clw.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
We had cleric free parties.
Never seen one till 4e.. and no that didnt mean there had to be a leader in 4e in general it meant each role had a similar impact on party survival a full party of strikers cut down enemy enough faster the party took significantly less damage that things were quite doable.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Never seen one till 4e.. and no that didnt mean there had to be a leader in 4e in general it meant each role had a similar impact on party survival a full party of strikers cut down enemy enough faster the party took significantly less damage that things were quite doable.
I saw them in 1e, 2e, 3e and 5e. I didn't play 4e more than a handful of times, so I don't count that edition. Now, they were rare in 1e-3e, but I saw them.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The extreme difference of play and increase in difficulty of play without a cleric is an example of primacy of magic. Higher impact because you have magic

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The extreme difference of play and increase in difficulty of play without a cleric is an example of primacy of magic. Higher impact because you have magic
Ok. So what. A lot of people like that sort of thing. Just look at how many dislike full overnight non=magical healing.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The primacy of magic is a descriptive argument it isnt about what a few people dislike remember that argument from popularity 5e is extremely popular and has the over night healing. So its not really on the table

G

Guest 6801328

You know, I just typed a pretty long explanation of why I don't buy this "primacy of magic" argument, but I realized there's no point.

However, I would suggest that seething in toxic resentment about the conspiracy, imagined or otherwise, to Keep the Fighter Down, will do nothing to influence WotC, and only hurts those who harbor it.

Remove ads