What is the least amount of rules you need?

What level of rules density do you need (read first post)

• Minimalist

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Light

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • Moderate

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Heavy

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Dense

Votes: 1 1.5%

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
That is VERY specific. What is rule #1?
Campaign Theme: the GM creates a campaign theme for the game that describes what the PCs can expect from the game and story.

Skill points: skill development is measured in skill points, which are a reusable bonus to contests involving that skill.

Suprise: a character earns a surprise bonus when he begins conflict against an opponent who is not aware of him. A surprise bonus is either a single action before initiative contests or a 4 point bonus to the character's initiative contest.

The combat and magic modules add a lot to the game, but I can get by without them 🤓

I said minimalist. Though having said that, I did find lasers and feelings to be a bit thin. Eventually you’re going to come across a situation that is neither a laser nor a feeling!

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I said minimalist. Though having said that, I did find lasers and feelings to be a bit thin. Eventually you’re going to come across a situation that is neither a laser nor a feeling!
Then you've wandered off the themes of the game and should move back towards the themes. Like trying to do something in a PbtA game that's not covered by a move. Yes, if the setting/situation were real, that would be a thing you could do, but those style games aren't trying to simulate reality rather emulate a particular type of story, so finding things not covered by lasers or feelings is like finding the edge of the genre. Cool, now you know where not to go.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
I voted for minimalism, since I’m currently planning a game that’s Mythic Game Master Emulator 2e only, no other mechanics at all. But all minimalism isn’t equal. It depends a lot on what’s presented as givens, what the mechanics that are there do, and like that. So there should be heavy emphasis on the specifics.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
What I need is minimalist - Lasers and Feelings type games are great for me. At least for a one shot or one-or-two shot.

What I want for more than that is light I guess by the definitions you laid out. On top of what L&F gives me, give me some kind of plot point currency to spend on a stunt mechanic. Maybe also a Stress mechanic. Basically I'd be happy with Fate Accelerated except I think that 6 approaches is too many (or at least the default 6 in FAE have way too much overlap IME).

(Actually Lasers and Feelings with Fate points, Stress, and Stunts added might be a good idea. I need to think about that...)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I can play pretty much anything, so "need" would certainly be minimalist. I've played L&F and Honey Hesit with no issues. Top preference would probably be in the moderate-heavy range, but I'm happy to play or run dang near anything.

Pedantic

Legend
I hadn't expected to be pushed immediately into the heaviest category, but "there should be a rules reference for nearly any situation that comes up" is exactly what I'm looking for, and I'm honestly not sure it fits in the same continuum as written. It feels orthogonal to what you have written for heavy, which mostly seems to be concerned with the amount of player facing options.

Cruentus

Adventurer
I voted Moderate, as I know my players see rules as having some 'control' over 'winning' the game. So any game we tried to play would need more than light rules. I also know I like to tweak rules, remove and add things, and having moderate levels would allow me to add and remove things without (hopefully) breaking something else. If its a rules light set, and I add something, I might inadvertently break something else, or open a can of worms. Likewise, there is not too much to "remove".

Ideally, I'd have a ruleset that is light or moderate, but built to theme and purpose, so that tinkering would be minimal (i.e. a low magic game/setting without having to wrestle a high magic setting/game into low magic) and the game would feel thematic.

Reynard

Legend
I hadn't expected to be pushed immediately into the heaviest category, but "there should be a rules reference for nearly any situation that comes up" is exactly what I'm looking for, and I'm honestly not sure it fits in the same continuum as written. It feels orthogonal to what you have written for heavy, which mostly seems to be concerned with the amount of player facing options.
That's a weird reading since I listed 4 things and only 1 was character abilities.

Remove ads