D&D 5E What is the opposite of a Modron?

plisnithus8

Adventurer
If Modrons are the embodiment of lawfulness, do creatures exist in the opposite balancing extreme of chaos?

Obviously, they would be harder to define by definition, not fitting into the structure of Mechsnus.

It seems like these should exist — if so what are they and where can they be found?

If they don’t exist, what would they be like? What would the opposite of a Modron March be? How do you describe the opposite of geometric hierarchical structure?

I hold that modrons are fearful of "cultural contamination" by less lawful beings (which is everyone); I present the rogue modron as what happens when a modron is "contaminated."

The Slaad are basically living contamination. They don't try to convince you that chaos is the better way of life or anything like that--nope, they just inject you with a chest burster, and eventually a less chaotic being (you) is replaced by a more chaotic being (the Slaad).

Chaos as contamination fits with CE too. Demon lords are inferior contaminators to Slaad, as they can infect those around them with madness that might lead someone to CE. I would also argue that demons commit atrocities not just because they enjoy it (although they do it for that reason as well), but because mortals might become obsessed with avenging themselves on the demons, even enjoying it (enjoying causing pain in other beings [even evil beings] is pretty heavy into evil territory), and if you won't allow laws, rules, morals, etc. stop you, then you are in chaos territory. [That's why it is always best for your paladin to be sad that he/she couldn't redeem the fiend and had to send it back to the Abyss to save innocents :angel:.]

Philosophically it would fit for CG beings to "contaminate" you with CGness, but practically that is a hard matter.

Remove ads