D&D General What is the purpose of race/heritage?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I'm curious, what does it mean to be a qualified world builder? How does one even become qualified world builder? Are most GMs qualified writers? I know I've written my own scenarios, but I don't have a certification in character design. Since 1974, each edition of D&D has operated under the assumption that you are qualified to build your own world.
look honestly I do not know but I do know lots of dm lack it as they just make fairly copy-pasted generic worlds which I hate and are easy to get sick of and can't be played in long term.

you would not be a writer of books but you might be able to write for dnd adventures I do not know?

Mind of tempest

I'm just suggesting taking culture and social out of race. There can still be a lore write up but culture shifts to background or theme.
I am not in complete disagreement but that is not how backgrounds work, they seem to be like your last job than what culture you are from.

This is how I'd like to see options presented in future editions for it:

Species - Your physical / mental characteristics and traits. Things like flight, elf trance, goliath size, dragonborn breath, etc. This would also have a 'custom species' option for players whose characters don't fit the norm. This would let you work with your DM to make more a suiting character while still being balanced (for example a dragonblooded human who has a fire breath ability).

Culture - The culture you were raised in. This would include some proficiencies, languages, and starting cantrips. So a dwarf raised in dwarf culture would speak dwarvish, have axe proficiency, and be knowledgeable about either stonework, smithing, jeweling, or brewing. A dwarf raised among elves would speak elvish, be more perceptive, and know a cantrip.

Profession - What you did before you were an adventurer. This would give you some tool proficiencies, skills, maybe languages, starting equipment, and an ability.

The combination of these should allow players to really make a character which fits.

Additionally, in all these sections, there should also be an option to help a DM and player work together to make custom options in case the default ones don't suit, and allow players to really go against the tropes.

(I'd also like ability score modifiers on each, but it's clear that's not the direction in which things are going).

This is why I think race should be purely the physical, mental, and spiritual characteristic of a race.

A bugbear has long arms so their attacks have 5f oot extra reach

Minotaurs' minds remember and map every place they've been so they can't get lost and always know how to move in a maze.

Deva are from the astral plane so they can be resurrected past the duration of revival magic.

Culture, caste, and history would be up to the setting or DM.
Curious? You don't see the two as intertwined?

Mind of tempest

This is how I'd like to see options presented in future editions for it:

Species - Your physical / mental characteristics and traits. Things like flight, elf trance, goliath size, dragonborn breath, etc. This would also have a 'custom species' option for players whose characters don't fit the norm. This would let you work with your DM to make more a suiting character while still being balanced (for example a dragonblooded human who has a fire breath ability).

Culture - The culture you were raised in. This would include some proficiencies, languages, and starting cantrips. So a dwarf raised in dwarf culture would speak dwarvish, have axe proficiency, and be knowledgeable about either stonework, smithing, jeweling, or brewing. A dwarf raised among elves would speak elvish, be more perceptive, and know a cantrip.

Profession - What you did before you were an adventurer. This would give you some tool proficiencies, skills, maybe languages, starting equipment, and an ability.

The combination of these should allow players to really make a character which fits.

Additionally, in all these sections, there should also be an option to help a DM and player work together to make custom options in case the default ones don't suit, and allow players to really go against the tropes.

(I'd also like ability score modifiers on each, but it's clear that's not the direction in which things are going).
I see one problem with this where are we getting the cultures from? as without that things kinda fall apart as dwarf culture only works if you make monoculture hyper-stereotype dwarves, I do not see how it could work beyond the theoretical without running into the problems already made.

Thing is, playable species in DnD are more than just culture. They're physical traits as well.

For example aarokocra have wings. They can fly. That's not cultural. The same with many physical traits like lizardfolk jaws, triton water breathing, goliath's size, and dragonborn breath.
Some of them, and all of those traits can be gained through other mechanics.

But they all provide a culture (or try to), which I still think is the best use of races.

If the purpose of races is to provide extra features, we should probably ditch races entirely and just use a point buy system for starting backstory features.

Last edited:

Remove ads