D&D General What is the purpose of race/heritage?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You just proved that the term isn't particularly useful because different people use it differently, thereby eliminating it's only virtue. So now I not only have to incorporate jargon, but I have to interpret what you mean when you use the term. So "minor ability" remains more efficient.

I honestly don't understand the desire to embrace this kind of terminology. As a serious question, no snark meant: what is the upside?
Sometimes it seems like the upside is the ability to exclude people from conversations. In general though, I think most folks who use jargon believe that it makes the conversation smoother.

Mechanically race is low weight.
+2,+1, a feat, darkvision or a skill, and a language. That is the power level of a race.
past level 5 it will get less and less valuable.

So all the rest is for flavor, role play and engagement into the DM setting.

Mechanically race is low weight.
+2,+1, a feat, darkvision or a skill, and a language. That is the power level of a race.
past level 5 it will get less and less valuable.

So all the rest is for flavor, role play and engagement into the DM setting.
Yep. And now they've uncoupled the ASIs from it, so it has even less mechanical weight. I wish the species had a larger "power budget" so you could do more with it.

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
why even make it if you hate flying races?
So especially in 3e, but probably earlier and absolutely going forward, WotC would respond to heavily requested options that the designers didn't actually want in the game by producing a drastically nerfed or otherwise undesirable version. I call these 'now shut up' options because they essentially tell the players 'we did what you asked, now shut up', but someone trying to be fair to them would call them compromises (because they are completely compromised like the hull of the Titanic.)

Raptorians were where I first realized it, but other notables include Savage Species where Level Adjustment was introduced, making 'undesirable' playable monsters both a thing, but awful, the original dragonborn, and a response to people not liking the restrictive level adjustment of half dragons where you go trough a rebirthing (see what I mean about all the fetishes flying around back then?) to be come not quite as good as a half dragon.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
So especially in 3e, but probably earlier and absolutely going forward, WotC would respond to heavily requested options that the designers didn't actually want in the game by producing a drastically nerfed or otherwise undesirable version. I call these 'now shut up' options because they essentially tell the players 'we did what you asked, now shut up', but someone trying to be fair to them would call them compromises (because they are completely compromised like the hull of the Titanic.)

Raptorians were where I first realized it, but other notables include Savage Species where Level Adjustment was introduced, making 'undesirable' playable monsters both a thing, but awful, the original dragonborn, and a response to people not liking the restrictive level adjustment of half dragons where you go trough a rebirthing (see what I mean about all the fetishes flying around back then?) to be come not quite as good as a half dragon.
Yeap. (Although I was a big fan of 3E Dragonkin)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases