• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What is the right amount of Classes for Dungeons and Dragons?

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Trying to determine the "right amount" of classes is obviously a trap.

What I'd like to see for a reinvented/retooled D&D is class as the top level carrier of unique mechanics, with narrative and diegetic identities being carried at a more distinct "subclass/archetype" level.

Have a long rest neo-Vancian casting class. Have a short rest pact magic class. Have a maneuver class. Have an all passives class. Have a pet class. Then divide all the popular archetypes between those classes as subclasses.

Horwath

Legend
@overgeeked

Was thinking same thing. Warrior, magic user, expert. Those 3 are core. Everything else is mix of those 3 or another flavor of one of those 3.
Maybe even less,
Warrior,
magic user,

or add something in between like 1/2 caster or 2/3rd caster.

expert is just someone who takes more skills over armors, fighting styles, fighting feat(ures).

TwoSix

@overgeeked

Was thinking same thing. Warrior, magic user, expert. Those 3 are core. Everything else is mix of those 3 or another flavor of one of those 3.
Would you only have one casting method with that system, or would other types of casting be accessible via subclass, or some kind of alternate class feature?

GrimCo

Adventurer
Expert is utility out of combat guy. So i would leave him, cause he brings enough to the table in other pillars. Skilled mundane guy who can reliably solve non combat problems. FE Rogue is warrior/expert mix, bard i magic user expert mix.

@TwoSix

Well, one. You have spells, you have slots. That's the mechanic. Some have known & prepared, some have known and spontaneous (sorc), some know all and prepare (clerics). Some have completly unique system, but don't have slots and spells per se (like 3.5 warlock).

TwoSix

Maybe even less,
Warrior,
magic user,

expert is just someone who takes more skills over armors, fighting styles, fighting feat(ures).
Yea, the division between the warrior and expert is always a little challenging in the 3 class triangle.

To my mind, the expert should be the obvious home for the concepts that aren't "focused combatant" or "possesses innate magical gifts". They definitely shouldn't be just rogues, and always stealth oriented sneak attackers. Some combination of the rogue, the savant, the non-magical parts of bard, the crafting of the artificer, pet master, and the combat support of a warlord should all be things experts can specialize in.

TwoSix

@TwoSix

Well, one. You have spells, you have slots. That's the mechanic. Some have known & prepared, some have known and spontaneous (sorc), some know all and prepare (clerics). Some have completly unique system, but don't have slots and spells per se (like 3.5 warlock).
To me, that's way more than one system, but I see what you're aiming for.

Would all of those systems fall under "mage"?

Maybe even less,
Warrior,
magic user,

Ack, no. One of my least favourite parts of D&D class design is how almost everyone is either full caster, half caster, or non-caster. And how it all uses levels and slots.

I don't mind wizards using spell levels and spell slots because of how arcane wizarding magic is supposed to be. But I consider it a huge plus that warlocks don't. And I'd like paladins to not have them at all - instead they get extra hit dice and can burn their hit dice to Smite, to Lay On Hands, and for a tiny handful of other magical effects. I'd rather bardic magic was something else again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads