D&D 5E What is up with the popularity of watching other D&D groups play the game?

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
47 year old who started in the 1980s with blue box set here. I am trying to watch many of these vids... many are painful. I am always trying to improve my DMing (I am always the DM it seems) and I had hoped by watching I would pick up some new tricks, but it is strange... people love circus sideshow parties (a bunch of strange races or tropes like a good drow, always expecting to be treated as normal in large cities of humans) and powergamey builds... the only ones I watch now are the Numenera games, they are focused on narrative more. Switched to Cypher System lately, more fun anyhow.

OB1

Jedi Master
I started listening to gaming podcasts back in 2012 with Nerd Poker, as a way to pass the time during my 2hr a day commute, and then Critical Hit (a 4e podcast with an amazing DM, Rodrigo Lopez, and an fantastic and funny cast of small town Kansas theatre nerds). I hadn't actually played D&D in about 7 years, and hadn't played regularly since the 90s, but listening was a fun way to pass the time and remember the game I loved. But Critical Hit was so good that it gave me the itch to start playing again. When the free Next playtest material started coming out, I downloaded it, convinced my wife and a couple of friends to try it out, and now have been playing 5e 2-3 times a month for 6 years and introduced over two dozen first time players to the game.

I'd heard the hype about Critical Role, but like others, didn't have the time to sit down and watch 3-4 hour episodes. When they finally released them as podcasts, they made it into my rotation on my commute (which had grown to 3 hours a day) and I fell in love with the comradery of the cast, the characters and the world.

When the Pandemic hit and I started working from home, we also had to stop our gaming group, so instead, wife and I started watching the old episodes of Crit Role for the first time on YouTube, since we suddenly had the extra time and not a lot of content options. It was a great escape, and wonderful to watch the show grow and the players and characters bond. And I was amazed that even though I'd listened to the campaigns before, watching them was a new and rewarding experience. Once again, it led me back to playing, when they released a free Wildemount module on Roll20, and I decided to try online play with my gaming group. Well, what was supposed to be a 3 session trial has turned into a six month campaign that goes almost every week online.

So I guess the answer is, I watch because the stories, cast and characters are entertaining (to me, way more so than most shows on network TV), but also because they inspire me to play and become a better DM. There are a ton of different styles and ways to play D&D, and watching and listening to live plays are a great way to expand your understanding of the game beyond the group you play with and make the game even more rewarding.

cmad1977

Hero
So....

I can’t WATCH people play D&D.
I do listen some. Why? Well...a couple reasons.

1) Ideas: In shocking news, other DMs have some GREAT ideas.

2) “watching the tape”: I listen to what calls the DM makes and dissect wether I would make the same/different decision.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I agree with the OP. To quote a certain popular anime:

Anf71Ua.jpg

guachi

Hero
I don't like watching or listening to others play D&D. But I think it's a huge draw for people that haven't played D&D for years and years like many of us here have. It's the closest many will get to the kinds of D&D that I think many of us have achieved.

For me, I didn't really "get" D&D until I was in college. Sure, I had tons of fun in grade school and high school but it was a college friend being a fantastic DM combined with fellow players that really got their PCs that elevated the game to new heights. Many players never get there but you can at least see what it's like in a Youtube video.

Last edited:

woweed

Villager
I'm generally of the belief that it's for getting to watch a bunch of funny and talented people improv into existence this fantasy narrative, with the dice adding an element of randomness. All the engaging narrative of a good fantasy novel, but with a level of spontaneity and unpredictability you can't get in a regular narrative.

Remove ads