D&D 5E What is up with the popularity of watching other D&D groups play the game?

I don't understand why people watch sports. Nothing is more boring than watching a sports match.
The fundamental difference between sports and watching RPG live play is sports are competitive and feature a winner at the end of each session. That's their primary appeal. It's why they have an audience. Nobody would watch golf or football on TV if score wasn't kept and there was no winner declared at the end. There's a reason most sports leagues have done away with ties.

So the popularity of sports doesn't give us much insight to the popularity of shows like Critical Role.

I do think there is something generational about it. As another poster commented, lots of people in their 40s and 50s have been playing videogames most of their lives, but I'd wager the audience for watching other people play videogames on Youtube or Twitch is almost entirely under 35. I expect the audience for CR skews youngish too.

We know that younger cohorts have smaller social circles and spend considerably less time engaged in face-to-face socialization than previous generations. My sense is the appeal of these shows is community. It's a way to feel like you're hanging out with friends even if you're home alone on a Friday night.

I used to put up podcasts of full sessions. Mostly boring stuff in my opinion but it was a very useful way for me to have a record of what happened (more than once I was able to get some piece of information I had forgotten). But was also surprised to hear from people who genuinely liked listening to what happened (and my sessions are the furthest thing from entertaining to watch). So I think for some people it comes down to enjoying seeing how someone else runs a game, or just getting invested in what the characters in the game are doing. I haven't been able to watch too much actual play myself (I've checked it out occasionally but I would just personally rather spend my time on other things).

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I, for a long time, thought this wasn't for me. I couldn't get into critical role, I tried!

But recently I've discovered the Dungeon Dudes, and... well it's working for me :) This is something I do while doing something else - chores etc - a good way to make them a bit less tedious.

id be curious probably another topic of those that have watched critical role and say we don't play like them and how you play the game.

I would argue they play the game better than us and any other youtuber out including the WOTC workers.

I'd also wonder for those who don't watch sports do you watch tv shows. I don't look at critical role and treat it like baseball (baseball is the new paint drying tv) I treat it like my favorite serial tv shows of the 70's/80's where they often left you in a cliff hanger in the end of the episode (Dr Who of the 60's-80's)

I haven't been in a game that hasnt been like that. If anything they can be 2 hardcore at times (spell components) . My flags, gencon local friends,college since the early 70's I haven't seen it played in any other way. the only difference is the game has evolved and theres no more random monsters in every room in a dungeon.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
you asked for replys. I am your age (saw the original star wars at a drivein) and was in the same boat.

When I tell my daughters that I saw Star Wars (which is called "Star Wars" and NOT "Episode IV: A New Hope" because DAMMIT! it was called "Star Wars" when it first came out) at the drive-in, they respond by reminding me that I'm old.

They now know what a drive-in is thanks to COVID. I then proudly tug at the white hairs in my beard and invite them to get out of my den because it's not a playroom and those SW action figures are for display and not playing and for the love of Cod, stop using my Burger King glasses for drinking out of because they're collector's items.

What I'm saying is that I am, as the Yiddish phrase goes, an alta-kocher.

An old fart.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
When I tell my daughters that I saw Star Wars (which is called "Star Wars" and NOT "Episode IV: A New Hope" because DAMMIT! it was called "Star Wars" when it first came out) at the drive-in, they respond by reminding me that I'm old.

They now know what a drive-in is thanks to COVID. I then proudly tug at the white hairs in my beard and invite them to get out of my den because it's not a playroom and those SW action figures are for display and not playing and for the love of Cod, stop using my Burger King glasses for drinking out of because they're collector's items.

What I'm saying is that I am, as the Yiddish phrase goes, an alta-kocher.

An old fart.

Han shot first! :mad:

Oofta

Legend
Han did not shoot first. That is a common misconception.

To say "Han shot first" implies that Greedo shot second. Greedo was dead before he could get off a shot.

Han did not shoot first because Han was the only one who shot.

Well, we'll just have to go back and watch the movie again to see what happened. Oh, right. I don't own a VCR any more. :(

OB1

Jedi Master
Not sure this explains why watching other D&D groups is popular, but it may directly answer the question of why, as a DM, you SHOULD watch.

Great Authors voraciously read other authors
Great Filmmakers watch hundreds or thousands of films
Great Musicians listen to a variety of styles and composers
Great Painters study other's art
Great Video Game designers play other games

Before streaming and podcasts, the ability to expose yourself, as a DM, to a wide variety of other DMs work was difficult, if not impossible. With streaming, you can easily do it. And the games you watch whose playstyle you don't like personally can be just as important to improving your game as the ones whose style you do like. To a lesser extent, it can also help players become better as well, by watching how other's play the game and incorporating ideas that appeal to you that you'd never thought of.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Well, we'll just have to go back and watch the movie again to see what happened. Oh, right. I don't own a VCR any more. :(
Not that I endorse unauthorized downloading of copyrighted content BUT...

The Harmy edit of Star Wars removes the Special Edition additions and replaces with an excellent transfer from the Laserdisc and I highly recommend it even though it's like a 19 GB download.

And unauthorized downloading of copyrighted content is wrong but this is something that is real and exists and I am merely providing knowledge that it exists, not endorsement of any untoward means of procurement.

Remove ads