• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is *worldbuilding* for?

pemerton

Legend
If by "going where the action is", you mean "instantly(in real world time) appearing where the action is", you are correct. If by "going where the action is", you mean "showing up where the action is", you are incorrect. It's only the travel portion where we disagree.
The phrase "go where the action is" is one that I borrow from Eero Tuovinen. It is a metaphor or a slogan - it means frame scenss that are thematically compelling, and force meaningful choices. Because we're talking about player (not just PC) choices that are meaningful, the compulsion has to result from something that is inherent to the pc as conceived and played by the player. (Hence the significance, in Tuovinen's account of the "standard narrativistic model", of player "advocacy" of and for the character.)

"Travel", in this context, is an illusion. Upthread, [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] explained the swift narration of 15 to 20 miles of travel through Moria on the basis that there were no intersections, cracks in the path, etc. But this is to get the order of explanation backwards. Moria is not a real place; JRRT is making it up. Because he wants to go where the action is - ie set up the confrontation with the orcs and the balrog, which is foreshadowed by the discovery of the fate of Balin's colony - he narrates a swift journey through a largely featureless area.

Likewise the joureny from Rivendell to the Misty Mountains: one doesn't explain the brief narration in terms of the lack of interesting stuff that happened. That would be to suppose that an imaginary world exercised causal power upon JRRT's brain. The explanation is the opposite: because, narratively, JRRT sees nothing of interest in Eregion, he narrates a largely uneventful journey to the mountaints.

Exactly the same principles hold true in RPGing. If everyone agrees that the next interesting thing is going to involve the fire giants, then the trip there can be narrated as swift and largely uneventful. This is not "cheating", or "cheapening" anything. The gameworld isn't an independent reality that demands respect and attention. It's a fictional construction, and just as JRRT constructs his fiction to suit his narrative purposes, so a group of RPGers can do the same.

In both your style and mine, the DM and players can establish through game play that Pippin meets Denthor, an attack upon Minis Tirith happens, etc. The arc can both succeed and fail in both styles of play. And I've already established my style also "goes where the action is", even thought it takes longer to get there than in your style.
This is oxymoronic. To say that "it takes longer" is simply to say that you are not going where the action is; that you are framing the PCs (and thereby the players) into situations that are not thematically compelling, and do not provoke meaningful choices.

Furthermore, this was already clear from your earlier posts, in what you said about the scene with the bazaar and the feather. You said that you would not just frome the PC (and thereby the player) into a situation is thematically compelling and provokes a meaningful choice (ie "Do I try and acquire this feather?") You said that you would start the scene at (say) the city gate, and the player would have to "work" for the opportunity to make that choice.

That is not "going where the action is". Choosing whether to look for a market, or a wizard's guild, or a curio shop, isn't - in the context of a PC whose player has written the Belief "I won't leave Hardby without a useful item for confronting my balrog-possessed brother", that is not a thematically compelling choice. (Contrast: if the Belief was "I will find someone who knows of the location of a useful item for confronting my Balrog-psossed brother", then it might be.)

pemerton said:
for the above to work, Pippin's player has to signal some sort of agenda - eg, following Boromir's death, formally (as might happen in Burning Wheel) or informally (as might happen in 4e) signalling that I will repay the debt I owe to this man.
This is incorrect. No agenda has to be established formally. All that is required are game choices to be made at each point in the process.
Notice that I didn't say that there has to be an agenda established formally. I said that the player has to signal some sort of agenda formally (as is the case in BW) or informally (as might happen in 4e). Informally in this context is a contrary of, not a synonym for, "formally".

As far as the claim that game play is enough without any signalling of agenca, whether formal or informal, let's look at what you say:

Pippin arrives at Minis Tirith. Pippin through game play meets or does not meet Denethor. When invited, if the player does not want Pippin to meet Denethor, he may feign sickness. If he does, then he goes to meet Denethor. The next decision point is whether to swear fealty to Denethor when offered. When the pre-authored attack happens, Pippin's fealty is called upon. And so on at each point in the process.
Denetheor didn't ask Pippin to swear fealty - this is Pippin's intiative.

In terms of play, what if the options the GM presents don't include the chance to meet Boromir's father? Pippin didn't seek this out, after all - from the point of view of the fiction, it is a chance thing. But if Pippin's player has signalled an agenda (formally or informally), then the GM knows to include Boromir's father as an element of a scene.

What if there is no pre-authored attack? No pre-authored presence of Farimir as the charismatic leader of the defence?

Your own account of this reveals why, in the absence of some sort of agenda signfalling which the GM then responds to in choosing what elements to incorproate into the framing of situations, there is no guarnatee that dramatic arcs will emerge in the course of play.

If the player makes certain decisions, it plays out as written in the books. If the player makes other decisions, it does not.
The GM decisions also matter - eg to have Denethor as a NPC present in the situations s/he has prepared; to have an attack upon Minas Tirith, etc.

Furthermore, the issue isn't about whether or not it plays out as in the book. The question is, if the player amkes other choices do we get a dramatic arc? Thematically compelling vhoices? What happens if Pippin offers fealty to Denethor and Denethor refuses to accept it? (In 4e, this could be the result of a failed Diplomacy check in a skill challenge. In BW, it could be the outcome of a duel of wits.) Now "the action" has changed - perhaps Pippin seeks out Farimir instead. But if you've already scripted that Farimir is in Osgiliath or Ithilien, and if you require that bit of travel to be pl1ayed out because otherwise the gameworld is not being "neutral", well now you don't have "story now" at all - you've got a standard wilderness crawl with a McGuffin at the end of it.

in some totally theoretical sense it isn't IMPOSSIBLE that you could produce this narrative by your methods without an explicit agenda, it is just vanishingly unlikely.
This is what Ron Edwards calls "the monkeys-might-fly-out-my-butt principle"!

But again, this is only allowing to pick between a menu of options the GM makes available. If the player chooses some OTHER course, then it will fail (presumably due to as-yet unrevealed backstory which makes the action impossible). As my earlier response to you (after you posted this) makes clear, the chances that the GM will 'get it right' in respect to a SPECIFIC agenda of a player is highly limited. Now, if the GM is willing to alter his backstory or generate it as essentially Story Now framing (IE to answer player agenda) then it might work. But this isn't 'proving me false', it is VINDICATING my point! To the extent that you abandon the classic approach and adopt Story Now techniques, and are willing to allow the player's statements of agenda to reshape any accidentally impeding backstory, you can start to achieve the kind of results I would get.
Right. And the "picking from the GM's menu" is what I have referred to, upthread, as a railroad.

And as you say, a GM who starts adopting player-responsive techniques can of course generate "story now"-type play! Who would be surprised by that - that if you adopt "story now" methods you'll get "story now" resuts?​

pemerton

Legend
I don't tackle shared storytelling
My point is that your discussion of worldbuilding doesn't identify or focus on those aspects of RPGing - framing of situations by a GM and then resolution actions declared by players for their PCs - which are distinctive of RPGing and distinguish it, as an activity, from shared storytelling.

That narrows the question to the point of meaninglessness. It becomes - Is the sort of world-building that supports tactical play right for story-focused play? No, probably not. But world-building, like play, is more varied than that.
I assert tha the bulk of conemporary D&D play uses exactly the same sort of worldbuilding: dungeon maps on grids; hex maps of overland regions; random encounter tabls; GM placementof NPCs, treasures, etc in particular keyed locations on these maps; thoes NPCs having pre-authored personalities, like "won't accept bribes"; etc.

In this thread, [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] seems very clearly to espouse these techniques (eg look at his emphasis on the importance of narrating intersections when the PCs walk with their hosts through the citadel of Mal Arundak). [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] also seems to have something similar in mind with his reference to the gameworld being "neutral".

G

Guest 6801328

This debate seems to have an analogue in two different version of a character's backstory.

I gather from the comments some (e.g. [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]) have made in the past that players should put a lot of time into their character's backstory, before the campaign starts, with the more detail the better, and that if at some point in the game the player wants to justify their character's knowledge of something based on backstory, it should be in that document they wrote to prepare for the game.

I take the opposite approach: a loosely defined concept is plenty to get started, and then as the game progresses the player "discovers" more about their character's backstory. This might manifest as improvisations to explain things in the present, or just flashes of creative inspiration. But just as we learn more and more about a character as we read a novel, the table (including the character's player) learn more about the character as they play the game.

Just two different ways to go about playing the game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In the fiction, of course the secret door was always there. But at the table, its existence was established as a result of the check. Therefore its existence is not part of the backstory, as Eero Tuovinen uses that term. You are free to use backstory to mean "elements of the fiction which predate the present in-fiction moment of play" if you want, but that's not how Eero is using it. He is using it to mean suuff that is literally pre-authored or is notinally pre-authored. (The latter is what is often called, on these boards, "winging it". Establishing the existence of a secret door as a result of a check is not "winging it".)

First, backstory is entirely within the fiction. It exists nowhere else. The DMs notes are meaningless until they hit the fiction where they become backstory, your comment on reality and fiction is not really relevant.
Second, the existence of the door due to a check is irrelevant. The creation of the door is "winging it", because it is being added in the moment. That there is an action declaration and roll just means that the attempt to wing a secret door into the backstory can fail.

Agreed to a point. One can, however, try to mitigate or lessen the bowing to practical considerations where there is a clear choice, and take the realistic route. A good example is fireball: is it a sphere (as in "ball", as in 1e) or a cubist construct (as 3e has it) or a cube (as 4e has it)? It's a clear choice: the 3e and 4e models are gamist, the 1e model is more realistic - so go with the 1e model.
How good an example is it? a 4e Fireball is an area burst 2, meaning it is a full 25' across. This is a SLIGHT exaggeration of the 'canonical' 20' diameter fireball. the upshot is, if you actually draw the 'canonical' fireball inside the 25' 5x5 square 4e footprint they are identical, assuming you used the rule 'any square partially in the AoE is affected'. Thus the 4e fireball compromises in no respect on the 'classic' fireball, aside from exactly regularizing the target points in 5' increments, which IMHO isn't a really big deal. However the procedure for resolution is about an order of magnitude simpler to handle.

In fact however, the canonical fireball is supposed to fill a 'volume' of (IIRC 22,000 cubic feet, or 22 10x10x10 cubes, expanding in all directions). Exactly how this is resolved is left to the GM. So you can't, always at least, even say exactly WHAT is within the area of the canonical fireball of classic D&D. In practice few GM's take into account the height of ceilings and other such factors when resolving them. So really I'm not convinced that 4e's approach IS actually 'less realistic' in any meaningful sense.

There's about a gajillion little choice points like this within the game. Some game systems want to make some of these choices for you (e.g. 4e firecubes or C+-H ammo tracking) and there I just push back and say no, wrong choice, worse game.
This is an aesthetic choice for you, which it seems to me is mostly made in the direction of "this is traditional" and not necessarily a really objective evaluation of any kind of realism. So I'm not exactly impressed with the degree to which this OBJECTIVELY amounts to simulationism.

Which is far easier to achieve using a more realistic or simulationist foudation than a less-so one.
As I pointed out in my ammunition discussion in a previous post, I remain unconvinced that the most basically 'realistic' procedure is actually more accurate, even in a simulation sense. In a verisimilitude sense (which again I consider a somewhat separate and purely aesthetic concept) there's nothing that MUST make what you say true either.

Yes, these do kinda go hand in hand.
Eh, don't overstate things. It is EASIEST OF ALL to reason about purely gamist constructs, as these are highly structured and easily understood and implemented at the table without questions of interpretation. Having played 4e for 10 years I can say that this is HUGE. Nobody can argue in a 4e battle about exactly what the fireball did. Its clear. Its quite easy to reason about it!

That's where the DM has to put on the referee's uniform and enforce it.
Ditto, as now we're into borderline cheating.
Good grief! Game Masters are now cops, and players are cheating if they don't manage to accurately record every arrow they use? Play as you wish, I have NO desire to get near that!

Situationally dependent in all cases. For example, far more likely to recover arrows that missed their mark if the fight's on an open grassy field than if the fight's in a confined area with hard rock walls; though the search of the open grassy field would also take somewhat longer than the search of a small room. That's for the DM to work out...and as there's always going to be a random element anyway, dice are good for this. :)
Exactly! And there is no way anyone can say what is actually realistic. The type of arrows, the humidity, the amount of light, etc etc etc are all going to factor into if they break or split, how far away they are, how hard to see, etc. There are actually quite a few factors. To the point where, as I said before, you're totally 'winging it' to make a ruling. This is one of those places where the GM is tempted to either favor the PCs, or something else. Frankly I don't recommend this sort of thing, I'd rather use the Cortex+ Heroic method!

This I honestly don't know, though if one can sharpen a sword while camping at night one can, I suppose, hone one's blunted arrow tips.
Sure, but what of the fletching, the nock of the arrow, etc? Its going to depend on how it was made, the exact materials, workmanship, etc. Eventually (and in my limited experience as a very amateur archer not super long) any given arrow will degrade. Again, simulating this realistically is probably not feasible, the best you will get is some largely gamist "it works 3 times" or something like that. Congrats you now have to track EACH ARROW and how many times it has been used? Nobody is going to do that. You could reduce the fraction that are recovered to produce

Yep, and a DM can even play with this a bit by having different-capacity lanterns available for sale. (though once a party gets access to Continual Light it's rarely important)

I agree some of the valuations etc. are arbitrary...but the fact that there's valuations at all is already significantly more realistic than a system that has no valuations for minor gear like this.
I'm certainly not faulting classic D&D for just inventing some usable GAMIST valuations and numbers. Gygax didn't go research this stuff because he didn't have to. His numbers are within common sense and thus don't invalidate player common sense, and they work for what he wants. Also they're in the PHB, so the players should KNOW them (in 1e anyway).

All I'm proposing is that the consideration in 1e was gamist, not simulationist, and that in games like Cortex+ (or HoML) that the primarily story-centered approach taken is not really LESS realistic than Gygax's. It is less 'numerical model', that's all.

Well, we'll probably continue to disagree on a foundational basis, then; as while I don't see full-on absolute simulationism/realism as even remotely possible I still see it as a worthy goal which one can move toward via what one does with all those great many little choice points I mentioned above.

Lan-"nobody's perfect, but that never stops us from trying"-efan

I just don't see all that as having such a high value, when I seem to be able to be equally realistic using a simpler process. As I said before, this is a verisimilitude question, pure aesthetics, and not one of any agenda at all (in the GNS sense of the word agenda).

I disagree that it breaks down the paradigm. It just means the DM has to be better at either preparing her world-setting or making it up on the fly (or both at once).
Well, the dungeon is special in a few ways. Its a HIGHLY constrained environment, and most of the common likely situations have pre-existing rules structure (dealing with traps, climbing, ropes, secret doors, slopes, supplies, time, doors, surprise, tracking, etc.). There are genre tropes (deeper = more dangerous) etc. which also factor in. It is, of course, possible for a situation in a dungeon to be entirely up to the GM to decide what would happen, but USUALLY (certainly at low levels) the possibilities are close to a closed set.

In the wilderness none of this is so true. There are rules and conventions, but the possible options for the players, the things they can attempt to do, the situations which can be generated, is MUCH larger, and much more likely to produce these situations where the GM is forced to make up something 'rule like' (a ruling). This can lead to a breakdown in player agency WRT what the characters can do.

Having it be hard for the GM to anticipate what happens next is just fine. Again, it simply points to her having to be well-versed in her setting and - as I often put it - ready willing and able to hit the curveballs thrown her way by the players.
The point I'm making is this is far afield from the initial paradigm. The GM is not just running a game, and using existing rules. The game is now basically a creature of the GM. Most GMs express this as a great difficulty in being able to place significant challenges in front of the PCs which the players cannot simply find an end run around. I know how this is, being VERY good at torpedoing GM plans and defeating the most crazy threats with unanticipateable means at high levels.

Yeah, 2e swung this pendulum too far the other way; though I'm not entirely sure whether the impetus came from below (player demand) or above (designer preference).

It was in many ways also the first hard-core railroad series (or proto-AP) to be published, and has been rightly condemned for that over time...though nowhere near as hard-core a railroad as DL, which came a few years later.
Yeah, it is, which is in fact part of the illustration of what happened with classic D&D when it tried to do 'story', and continues to happen when you do story with a system that isn't equipped for it. If you know the right techniques you can do story, but a largely linear flow AP-type setup won't cut it. TSR was out of its depth here.

No...and no. Sorry. :)

Remember what the A-series was to begin with - a series of tournament modules. Those modules weren't really intended to tell a character-arc story at all, just for one to lead to the next enough that as players advanced to the next level of the tournament they could keep the same characters and with a minimum of exposition pick up the story as they'd already played through it. And if anything the A-series in campaign use is more constraining to play than less, as the players/PCs have to follow the trail...and have no choice whatsoever at the A3-A4 jump.
Heh, yeah, I was at that tournement ;)

So, yes, the A series is quite linear, and TSR didn't understand how to make a story work in D&D (never did figure it out even 15 years later). They were still TRYING. The re-use of the tournament material was another issue, which didn't help.

Dragonlance is the series that started the whole story-first business; and people IME either loved it or despised it. This one was all about character development through a story arc...though unless you inserted your own characters into the books' story somehow you were developing pre-gen characters someone else had designed. But, extremely constraining in play.
DL to me was pretty much uninteresting. I was doing a better job of it already by that point. Again, illustrates how classic D&D's structure fails to work as a story game.

Perhaps, but I don't think it was the death of the dungeon maze. It offered - in a still-dungeon-mazy sort of way - an alternative; which DL fully fleshed out later. Dungeon-based adventures still kept on coming, even into 3e.
Sure, even 4e has them (Tomb of Annihilation for instance, but even H1 is mostly a dungeon). I mean it was the death of the dungeon maze in a paradigmatic sense. That was no longer the model for all adventures.

A2 in fact is extremely linear in its design - particularly the upper level - when you look at it closely; it's designed to funnel the party into each encounter in a specific order no matter what they do, other than there's one branch they can take that dead-ends. When I ran it I stuck some extra doors and connections in there to make it a bit less predictable for me as DM and provide a few more choice points for the players/PCs.
Right, because, if you are going to A) have a story, and B) use a module, which necessitates a fixed number of set encounter locations, then you're pretty much stuck doing this. Nobody has really made headway in this, the APs for PF are pretty linear too! Actually they're BETTER, but only to the extent that they do what you did, add more paths such that encounters can happen in different orders. It helps, but it doesn't really make it a story centered game.

Exactly.

If you read 2e's "declared narrative agenda" to mean that it wants to give the DM a better avenue to in effect narrate her story and run the players/PCs through it (in other words, Dragonlance without the intervening novels breaking up the played-at-the-table story), then it suits itself very well. If you want to read more things into the idea of a narrative agenda, such as player control over the fiction or play-to-find-out virtual-world-design sorts of things, then no; you won't find them, because they aren't there.

2e as launched pretty much invites the DM to run a railroad game. Later came the pushback of players seeking more control, leading to the various splatbooks which - while still not getting them off the train - gave them much more by way of mechanical options for their PCs.

That's where 3e with its "Back to the dungeon" mantra really took root: it by extension meant "Get off the train"!
3e said that, but it means it about as much as 2e means what it says. My interpretation of 'Back to the Dungeon!' is "story gaming doesn't work, we can't do it, so lets just do what works, dungeon crawls!".

HOWEVER 3e in fact has much of what is needed to do story gaming. It has strong character build systems, which allow the player to express through classes, race, PrC, skill choices, and feats, what he wants his character to be 'about' (and character backstory is of course available to fill in). It has a workable, if clunky, skill system that can handle checks to 'see what happens'. All it really lacks is GM and player advice on doing Story Now, but even 4e doesn't quite have that...

So, 3e can be seen as an advance, but it was kind of stillborn. Also, because d20 is open, it was easy to create variants of 3.x that actually do story now. There's no reason to play with the core rules and do it.

Would that be Story Some Other Time? :)
hehe. :eek:

Where I think it's a rather brilliant boil-down of what's always been there: that there's other aspects to play than just combat, and here's what they are, explained.

The only aspect of play it doesn't encompass well is downtime, which I would add as a fourth pillar. Otherwise, what's it missing?

I think you're being a bit pessimistic here. That said, sooner or later you'll inevitably get to ten and where do you go from there? These amps don't go to 11.
Well, I think that 'D&D' in a more abstract sense continues. For now 5e is alive and well, but since it basically reneged on all of 4e's cosmological and lore evolutions, that aspect is kind of 'dead', its really a statement of 'things should remain the same, GW is the last word.' In terms of styles of play and other similar evolutions, again, 5e squarely rejects 4e's Story Game orientation, so where can you go from there?

5e will, IMHO slowly become irrelevant. Maybe in 10-15 years when its largely left behind WotC/Hasbro will simply go on, a new set of designers will come and some new experiment will happen. I don't think D&D will be a major RPG at that point, though some completely new version might 'rise again'.

Meanwhile other 'D&Ds' will do the innovating. I guess this vindicates the vision that produced the OGL in the first place. New games will sprout from D&D's fertile soil to re-imagine it in the form of Story Game, of this that or the other thing we don't even have a name for today.

I don't see the pillars as mechanical constructs so much as I see them as focus points for play at the table.

Look at it this way: what is there that ever happens in play that isn't encompassed by one or more of:

Combat
Downtime
Exploration
Interaction (or Socializing, or whatever term goes towards the talky bits with other PCs and with NPCs)

The story grows out of the sum of what all these activities, repeated as necessary, lead to within the fiction.

But, note the sequence: activities first, story later - the story grows out of the activities; and even if the DM has a pre-authored story in mind these activities might send it in a totally different direction.

What you want to do is have the activities grow out of the story; the players set the story parameters via their beliefs and goals and then the activities become simply means to an end.
Yes, and in this Story Now kind of thing it isn't that useful to classify the activities. I don't need to have characters 'balanced' between activities or have some of each pillar in my game, or any other such things. I need to have activities reflect story considerations. Only the dramatic characteristics and actual narratives of the activities, and how that feeds back into driving the story matters. Notice how Story Games MOSTLY have a pretty generic type of mechanics too, even 4e is very much this way, because there's not really a value in distinguishing activities mechanically. Even 5e falls into this category pretty much.

I guess the only sense in which it might be worthwhile to think of classification of activities is in the sense of evaluating the mechanics of a game to see if all the envisaged character activities are covered adequately. So in HoML I'd think about if there's a 'boon' that produces 'guy who is good at tracking' (which a player who wants to track down someone might add to his character to express that).

Combat is an activity. Social interaction with others in the fiction is an activity. Downtime, or what you do during it, is an activity. None of these are beliefs or end goals, and that's the point: they're the things you do en route to achieving (or not) your end goals. Because of this, the game has to provide opportunities - and time! - for all of these to occur.
Not really, maybe nobody is interested in anything that you would classify as 'social interaction', so why would I need to have that occur or make room for it? More to the point, these classes of activities are so broad and general that OF COURSE some of each is likely to happen in any game, and probably fairly often. I don't need to 'provide' those opportunities, they will arise if needed.

You could frame that scene, but you'd be doing no justice to the actual activity of exploring...you know, the mappy searchy cautious tense stuff that takes time at the table. Then at some point there might be a pit trap into which the brother-in-law, having failed various game-mechanics to avoid it, falls and dies.

Now the exploration probably turns to a) finding a safe way out with the corpse, and-or then b) finding someone who can revive it. Failing that, the focus turns to the Interaction activity if he goes home and tells them the bad news...which might quickly lead to the Combat activity if they don't take it well! :)

Lanefan

hehe. Well, anyway, I think I'm doing exploration the justice it NEEDS, its an activity which provides framing for drama. I guess I would say that we can play it out in as much detail as we want. I think that the better way to think of a Story Now version of a dungeon exploration game would be to call the exploration the 'central theme' of that game. Thus 'crawling the dungeon' becomes the agenda, or at least the genre/milieu in which all else is cast. You would then be able to play out the drama I outlined above, and play through the details of exploration. How the characters handled the tension would then be a relevant thing. There might even be mechanics for that...

First, backstory is entirely within the fiction. It exists nowhere else. The DMs notes are meaningless until they hit the fiction where they become backstory, your comment on reality and fiction is not really relevant.
No, its INFINITELY relevant. You are committing a category error by confounding what happens in the game narrative, where the door has always existed, with what is happening in the GAME where the door just came into existence due to a check. The backstory is CLEARLY not a game narrative element, PCs don't discuss the backstory of the world they live in! (at least not unless you're playing some game which 'breaks the 4th wall' or something). The backstory is something which exists at the game table, in the game being played by the players, where the backstory is pre-existing, and the secret door is not! If you misinterpret Tuovinen's statements on backstory to mean something in the narrative, then you are misinterpreting him. He's not saying what you think he is, you have to think in terms of what is happening at the TABLE, which is actually the focus, the origin point for the considerations of Story Now, the game world and its narrative are secondary constructed elements which serve the agenda, they dictate nothing.

clearstream

(He, Him)
My point is that your discussion of worldbuilding doesn't identify or focus on those aspects of RPGing - framing of situations by a GM and then resolution actions declared by players for their PCs - which are distinctive of RPGing and distinguish it, as an activity, from shared storytelling.
Reflecting on that point, I think it is because I see it as a continuum.

I assert tha the bulk of conemporary D&D play uses exactly the same sort of worldbuilding: dungeon maps on grids; hex maps of overland regions; random encounter tabls; GM placementof NPCs, treasures, etc in particular keyed locations on these maps; thoes NPCs having pre-authored personalities, like "won't accept bribes"; etc.
This assertion doesn't pan out for me because I can think of evidence to the contrary, both in form and intent. Contrast the world-building in Griffin Mountain, X1 Isle of Dread, MOLAD, Burning Wheel: Jihad, Lionheart, and Chivalry and Sorcery.

The designers of Griffin Mountain open up a landscape for stories, whereas the designer of Isle of Dread presents specific problems. The world-build artifacts for MOLAD were two pages of notable characters and their ranks, and one sketch of the core plane showing some of their domains. Players maintained notes on their characters and whatever else interested them: their canon. Burning Wheel: Jihad focuses on points of inspiration, but undeniably offers anchoring framing. Then look at the RPG sourcebook Lionheart - "The philosophy of Lionheart is to provide an organized, accessible view of 1190 England" which it does admirably - perfect for framing stories, and there are no pre-fab adventures in that book. Look at the world-build material in Chivalry and Sorcery, which guide players to create their own medieval world, rather than presenting one out of the box. Or look at Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide where I see maps, images and narration intended to help a group bring an imagined world to life. I hadn't paid attention before to the wide variety of ways world-building happens before this thread, and most especially find that it is diverse and ongoing.

This thread opens with something like GNS' argument for the incoherence of creative agendas: claiming world-building to be an activity and artifact of gamism or simulationism, and irrelevant for narrativism. For me there are two obvious problems for that.

First and most strongly, I find claims of incoherence between those creative agendas disingenuous or idiosyncratic, as they jar with my experience of play. We may lean into one agenda more than others, but our agendas do not repel each other as vigorously as the claimed incoherence envisions. The way we lean is also far from static. Rather those agendas (and perhaps others) define a multidimensional volume that we occupy and move around within. From time to time leaning more into one part than another.

Secondly, whatever we think about incoherence, the activities and artifacts of world-building are valuable and in fact unavoidably part of narrativism. Even if the agendas are incoherent, world-building still has value for narrativism, only with an altered preferred focus and form. Which makes sense.

What I think the OP has been most successful in illuminating is that the way world-building will occur, and the forms it takes, when we are leaning into narrativism, is going to differ from the process and forms when leaning into other creative agendas.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Here are some replies on stuff that [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] has mostly covered, but where I thought I'd add my own take as well:

You can define "backstory" however you like. But Eero Tuovinen is using it with a definite meaning: stuff written in advance of acutal play, or stuff made up in the course of actual play that is a proxy for pre-written stuff. To quote:

The concept [of backstory] only makes sense when somebody has done preparatory work for the game or is using specific heuristics to simulate such preparation in real-time. . . . Backstory is specifically separate from what might happen during play itself.​

He even gives a handy illustration: a GM "decid[ing] in advance that the butler did it". I don't think he give examples of the heuristics he mentions, but these are also fairly well known, and some have been discussed in this thread, like rolling on a random generator or extrapolating realistically from what has already been establishd.

A secret door discovered in the course of play as the outcome of action resolution that establishes both (i) a secret door exists, and (ii) a character discovers said door, is not backstory in Eero Tuovinen's sense. It was not pre-authored. It was not established by way of a specific heuristic to simulate preparation in real time. I don't see how that could be clearer.

(If you had any familiarity with the games he actually references, it would be even clearer.)

That's for the DM to work out...and as there's always going to be a random element anyway, dice are good for this.

<snip>

I agree some of the valuations etc. are arbitrary...but the fact that there's valuations at all is already significantly more realistic than a system that has no valuations for minor gear like this.
But an arbitrary number is "more realistic" only on the same principle that a stopped clock is right two times a day!

This is why [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] describes this a an aesthetic preference. You prefer to have a number, however arbitrary, rather than leaving ti a matter of the fiction that no one needs to settle until some dramatic situation calls for it - and then settling it via some other mechanic than counting.

if one can sharpen a sword while camping at night one can, I suppose, hone one's blunted arrow tips.
In D&D there is no rule for sharpening or blunting a sword. But the player of any weapon-wielding PC in Cortex+ Heroic can spend a plot point to add a Honed Blade resource. The Swordthane in my viking game even has a special ability, whereby the player can add a d6 to the Doom Pool in return for stepping up such a resource. (When that guy hones his blade, we know things are going to get ugly!)​

And here is a further comment on GM-driven play and the generation of "story":

In Story Now there would be some sort of goal to become the trusted guard of a king or the like and the play towards becoming a member of the Stewards guard would be guided by that agenda.
Neither I nor [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] has suggested this as the best reading of the Pippin arc. I suggested something like "I will repay my debt to Boromir." AbdulAlhazred suggested "I will serve and follow the Gondorians, whom I admire greatly."

Either agenda - whether expressed formally (as some systems have it) or informally (as is the case eg in 4e) - is a hook to the GM. The GM will establish a situation (and then, following on from that, further situations which incorporate consequences and outcomes generated via play) which puts that agenda to the test. If one wants to imagine JRRT's Pippin story as the result of this sort of RPG process, then the first situation was the meeting with Denethor, and the element of that which put the agenda to the test was the fact that Denethor did not seem terribly likable.

Boromir's sacrifice is very likely to cause my players to feel indebted in the same way, and that will play out in future choices.
But if the future choices are which intersection to take, or the other sorts of choicds that you and Lanefan have emphasised as important, then how is it going to play out?

You've already stated that the odds of it happening with my playstyle are slim. I tend to disagree with your assessment of those odds, as players like to do cool things like attach themselves to kings, but that also doesn't matter for my point.

You stated that the things Pippin did REQUIRED agendas to be present. They don't and you have now acknowledged that they don't. Whether the odds are 1-2, 1-10, 1-100 or 1-1000000, there still is no requirement for an agenda to be present. It can happen in my playstyle just as I claimed.
This is back to the "monkeys might fly out my butt principle". I am not talking about techniques that have a slight chance of producing meaningful dramatic arcs in play. I am talking about techniques that do this reliably, day-in and day-out.

it would be much easier to achieve if the player has a pre-set agenda and the DM is working to see that it has a chance of happening.

<snip>

these same sorts of things occur in my game, but just aren't done with the same kind of collaboration and pre-planned agendas.

Again, it's not random in my game, either. It's just not pre-planned.
The best way to find out what Pippin's player is prepared to do to honour Pippin's commitment to Boromir and/or Gondor is to frame a scene that puts that to the test.

The best way to find out what the players of the PCs who promised to help the dwarves with the giants are prepared to do to honour that promise is to frame a scene that puts that to the test.

This is what is meant by "going to where the action is".

Pre-planning is not a very significant part of it. On the player side, what matters is sending some signals. On the GM side, what matters is following the players' leads. It's not all that esoteric. All it requires is a certain readiness to cut through some cruft. And obviously flexibility in narration helps with that. And a light touch approach to worldbuilding and initial establisment of setting helps with that flexibility.​

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In terms of play, what if the options the GM presents don't include the chance to meet Boromir's father? Pippin didn't seek this out, after all - from the point of view of the fiction, it is a chance thing. But if Pippin's player has signalled an agenda (formally or informally), then the GM knows to include Boromir's father as an element of a scene.

What if there is no pre-authored attack? No pre-authored presence of Farimir as the charismatic leader of the defence?

Then some other character growth arc would have emerged. ::shrug::

Your own account of this reveals why, in the absence of some sort of agenda signfalling which the GM then responds to in choosing what elements to incorproate into the framing of situations, there is no guarnatee that dramatic arcs will emerge in the course of play.

Incorrect. My own account reveals why, in the absence of some sort of agenda, there is no guarantee of the same arc Pippin encountered emerging over the course of play. Character growth arcs will happen, regardless of absence of an agenda.

Furthermore, the issue isn't about whether or not it plays out as in the book. The question is, if the player amkes other choices do we get a dramatic arc? Thematically compelling vhoices? What happens if Pippin offers fealty to Denethor and Denethor refuses to accept it? (In 4e, this could be the result of a failed Diplomacy check in a skill challenge. In BW, it could be the outcome of a duel of wits.) Now "the action" has changed - perhaps Pippin seeks out Farimir instead.[/quote]

Yep. Something else will happen. Good call.

But if you've already scripted that Farimir is in Osgiliath or Ithilien, and if you require that bit of travel to be pl1ayed out because otherwise the gameworld is not being "neutral", well now you don't have "story now" at all - you've got a standard wilderness crawl with a McGuffin at the end of it.

Who cares. This isn't about my game being Story Now, it's about character growth arcs. So perhaps Pippin seeks out Faramir in Osiliath and to offer his service. Perhaps, feeling rejected, but still wanting to do something for Gondor due to his feelings for Boromir, he joins the Gondorian regular army. Perhaps something else. It doesn't matter whether the game is Story Now or not. Character growth arcs are going to happen regardless.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads