What is *worldbuilding* for?

pemerton

Legend
One of the things I find interesting about the 'typical style' (if there is such a thing) for laying this kind of stuff out, much like you're outlining here, is that it is STILL very much beholden to the archetypal dungeon room key in some respects. For instance I've rarely, make that pretty much never, seen in a product where there were fully elaborated descriptions of the relationships between things.

<snip>

We may know, as in Gary's Hommlet exactly the contents of every house, but who's going to stand together with whom? What happens when you kill Fred down the street, doesn't he have a brother? A landlord? Someone must inherit his stuff, want to find out who killed him, etc.

In some sense, I think this 'classic' type of setting design, when it comes to settlements, is entirely inadequate to the type of play that [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] seems to be espousing when he asks about the value of worldbuilding. I would say that in terms of his needs these social/cultural/economic details are MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than the trivia about how many coppers are under Farmer Joe's floorboards and what the probability of finding them is (all of which can and probably should in that kind of play be made up as needed anyway).

Its not that nobody ever thinks about this stuff at all, but its weird how you get these detailed maps of buildings but only at best some incredibly vague idea of who owns them, what their allegiances are, etc.
Interesting post!

I think that in the Hommlet era alignment was meant to carry a lot of this information.

In my 4e game I've relied on religious affiliation to carry a lot of weight (it's a cosmologically-focused game). The three main settlements that have figured in the game have been Threshold/Adakmi, the duergar stronghold, and a githzerai monastery. For the latter two I basically set it up with two main groupings in each - and framed it so that the PCs may themselves have split allegiances across the two factions. For Threshold, I had a power struggle between baron and patriarch (I think that was my own idea, but maybe I got it from B10?); and then introduced some nuance into the baron situation (with the advisor, the niece who was the spitting image of the PCs' friend from the past, etc).

In my Traveller game, when the PCs assaulted the bioweapons conspiracy outpost, I wrote up the NPCs with connections between them (one ex-army guy had been a comrade of the PC army guy; another NPC was the sister of the shuttle pilot the PCs had hired; etc) - nothing very intricate, but it just added a bit of extra depth and complexity to the resolution of the situation.

In other words, I think the difference between nothing and a little bit goes a long way.

I don't have any of the classic RQ modules, but some of them must have tackled this sort of stuff.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Well, guess what non-TSR game figured most prominently in the old Ares section of Dragon? Traveller.

The idea that RQ and Traveller are "niche" games is ridiculous, unless "niche" means not D&D.
Exactly.

With the possible exception of a few years in the mid-90's when 2e was dying with no obvious replacement on the horizon, D&D (including PF) has always been the 800 lb. gorilla in the RPG world and has - despite some vainglorious attempts by various designers over the years - relegated anything and everything else to niche status at best.

Look at it another way: go down to your local FLGS and say you're starting a D&D campaign and are looking for players. You'll almost certainly get interest, followed by questions relating to edition or version, campaign specifics, houserules, and the like. But go down to your local FLGS and say you're starting a Burning Wheel campaign and are looking for players and the only question you'll hear is "Burning Wheel? Wtf is that?".

Suppose this is true - that doesn't show that they're replayable in the same way as (say) B2 is replayable - that the players can try again and thus learn (and beat) the "hidden design" (what, upthread, I called the puzzle/maze).
B2 is something of an outlier in module design, in that its dungeon bits can legitimately be approached piecemeal in a weekend-warrior kind of way. You take out the Kobold cave, then go back to town. Next trip you go after the Goblin cave, then go back. Next trip you take on the Hobgoblins, lather rinse repeat until you've bit by bit taken out all the caves and can then start putting the pieces together.

Most modules - for better or worse - aren't like this. Take G2, from the same era - it's a single-site dungeon far away from civilization and even though it can be taken on a bit at a time the party doesn't (usually) have the option to return to town and heal up-restock-recruit new PCs between each sortie. But they can keep trying until they finish, and in that trying are going to be presented with a much more intricate dungeon layout than the simple straight line of rooms/encounters so common in bad early 3rd-party d20 offerings and in official WotC 4e offerings.

It surprise me that you don't see this as Exhibit A in the case that the game is driven by the GM. All the action happened purely in the GM's imagination. The only agency exercised by the player was to force the GM to tell him-/herself a story!
Of course she did, and that's just my point - the DM has to follow the dominoes (if there are any; obviously there aren't always) in order to see if any of them are likely to impact the PCs later. In the example I gave the dominoes are certainly going to lead to the PCs hearing about the attempt on the Duke's life and possibly going to lead to complications for one or more PCs should the harlot place blame on them or (mistakenly) associate them with the conspirators.

This domino-following is one of the aspects of city adventuring that makes it harder to DM, or at least DM well, than contained-dungeon adventuring. Not all DMs are good at it; I know I'm often not.

Lanefan

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But this clearly isn't true - you can have a game with any or all of those things without the GM writing up some fiction in advance.
Just because you can have a game without world building doesn't mean that what [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] described isn't world building. It just means that you can improv on both sides of things and play without it.

pemerton

Legend
To point 1, news takes time to travel, depending on setting trappings. The Imperium is limited by required physical transport jumps each taking weeks of time. News from the other side will take months to reach the military and even longer to reach the civilian population.

To point 2, there's exciting things happening everywhere. Players with PCs based in the Spinward Marches make the choice that exciting things happening near the Zhodani border are more interesting than exciting things happening near Hiver space. When something newsworthy happens near Hiver Space and the news travels widely enough that the PCs can discover it, the players now have new information to base next choices upon. Are enough exciting things happening here to hold their attention or is what is happening way over there interesting enough and seems to have enough staying power to warrant the trek to the other side?
Again, tihs strikes me as exhibiting the degree of GM control over shared content.

It's the GM who has decided that event X happens in Place A rather than Place B, hence that when the PCs who are in Place B learn of it (which equals when the GM tells it to them) it has already (within the context of the fiction) occurred, such that the player's capacity to affect its immediate context - given the setting conventions - is very limited.

It may be that exciting events (again, mostly = stuff that the GM is telling to the players) is happening in Place B, where the fictional positioning of the PCs enables them to make immediate action declarations that affects that stuff. But this exciting stuff is also stuff that was written by the GM.

The players are choosing which bit of the GM's fiction to focus on. If they choose A, there is then an extended process (at least if the travel is being resolved using the standard mechanics) for actually shtifting the field of action from A to B (in the fiction, this is the interstellar travel across the Imperium), where most of the activity on the way will be determined by the GM. (Either directly, or on the back of random encounter rolls.)

The authorial hand of the GM seems to loom very large.

in starting this thread, you're not merely saying that you're not interested in the comedians - you're declaring that you can't see how anyone might find them appealin
No I'm not. The question in the thread isn't rhetorical. And some posters have answered it - to reiterate some of those answers:

* Worldbuilding - designing a setting - is a worthwhile artistic and/or intellectual pursuit in itself, that bring pleasure/satisfaction to the GM who engages in it;

* The game can't proceed without setting, and one way to get it is for the GM to write it in advance;

* Some players don't want to write setting, and so the only way to get it is for the GM to write it, and this is easier done in advance;

* Some players want to know that the GM wrote up all the fiction in advance, because that supports their immersion.​

And the OP itself offered one answer - to confront the players with a maze/puzzle (the dungeon) to beat.

The OP also suggested that, as the setting becomes a "living, breathing world" which exists mostly in the mind and notes of the GM, rather than maps and room keys that are - through various, mostly conventionally-established moves - cognitivtely accessible to the players, the maze/puzzle rationale tends to be lost. I think [MENTION=23935]Nagol[/MENTION] doesn't agree with this, which is what our discussion in the thread is currently about (though it's moved on a bit from my starting maze/puzzle way of framing the matter).

By declaring that playstyles other than purely player-driven content amount to "being told a story by the GM" you very much are saying that other playstyles aren't viable as a co-operative play experience.
I haven't delared that those playstyles are "being told a story by a GM". I have asserted that certain aspects of play, which are often presented in metaphorical terms ("the player explore the setting") or in in-fiction terms ("the PCs travel from A to B") actually - when we analyse them as the play of a game among actual people sitting around a table - consist of the players triggering the GM reading them stutf.

This is how a typical CoC scenario works, for instance, and most of the Planescape modules I can think of (Infinite Staircase; Dead Gods). It's how the Alexandrian's "node based design" and "three clue rule" work. The GM frames a starting situation, tells the players some stuff about it then the players say "OK, we go to [such-and-such a place]" and that leads the GM to read them more stuff (descriptions of such-and-such a place). And then with that extra information to hand, the players declare "OK, we go and talk to so-and-so" - and then the GM reads them some more stuff, and so on.

The players are making choices that determine the sequence in which the GM reads them the stuff, and determines the precise details. (Eg maybe if the players don't ask a certain question, the NPC doesn't tell them a certain thing.) But all the significant content is being narrated by the GM. And if the players declare a move that the GM didn't anticipate in his/her notes - eg they ask a neighbour what s/he has seen going on next door - then either the GM makes up some more stuff, or the GM doesn't dispense any significant information ("Sorry, I work shifts and only come home to sleep, so I haven't noticed anything").

In my experience, with a GM who is skilled in vibrant descriptions and characterisation, and if the stuff in the notes isn't obvious - so there's interest and/or amusement in learning it - then this can be fun. I've played in convention games that are like this. Personally, though, I prefer it if the style I've described is used to set up the framing of the "big finish" - and so, in a sense, really serves as an extended framing process for the real scene of the game - and then the "big finish" is all about the players making substantive choices. CoC games don't work for this, because the "big finish" is nearly always just "Do or don't we have what we need to stop the cultists". But I've had good experiences in Stormbringer one-shots where, at the moment of crunch, the final action declarations aren't just about "how well can we put the clues together to defeat the culties" but more like "OK, so now we know that what's really going on here is a cult ritual, the question is - do we stop it, or do we join it!" If the scenario designers have done a good job, then different PCs should either start with, or (even better) develop over the course of the "exploration" phase of play, reasons to stop the cultists or join them that are in conflict with one another.

(It's hard to set up a convention game with two such moments of crunch, because the fallout from the big finish isn't predicable at the outset, yet a convention game depends on being able to start each session at a pre-established point.)

I personally don't enjoy a whole campaign which has the general form I've described - the players declare actions for their PCs which are primarily about triggering narration from the GM and then putting those pieces together to stop the ritual/find the McGuffin/etc. The one time I played an extended campaign having this sort of character, the real action of play was in the interaction between the PCs. (I get somewhat of a similar vibe from [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION]'s accounts of actual play.) The GM's narration was really just a backdrop for this. But I don't count this as an example of strong player agency in a GM setting-driven game, as it was completely orthogonal from the GM's setting. (Eg we had fragments of a prophecy, and we spent a lot of time debating them, imagining how we could read various PCs into various roles outlined in the prophecy, etc. I assume that the GM had some conception, in his mind, of what the prophecy meant and how the events of play related to it, but they were absolutely irrelevant to what we players were talking about. We could have done our stuff just as easily if the GM had simply handed us three random prophecies downloaded from a Google search.)

Clearly, you don't trust that players have any form of agency in any game that has substantive GM backstory and adjudication. You're denying that they do all over the place here and in your response to Lanefan. And you don't really seem to trust us when we say that player do have agency in the games we're running in which we do make use of substantial backstory and adjudication. Your response to MarkB here is fairly dripping with it. "you think it is" makes it very clear that you don't believe him or think it's true. It's like you're calling him out but acknowledge he's not technically lying because he seems to believe it's true.
We're doing analysis here. Trying to dig down into the processes of play is not "calling someone out". I don't think [MENTION=40176]MarkB[/MENTION] is lying. I do think that the suggestion that I don't trust GMs is (i) false, and (ii) irrelevant - as if the only reason someone would play DungeonWorld rather than 2nd ed AD&D is because they don't trust GMs!

But anyway, on to the issue of agency:

Here is one of my assertions - if the GM is entitled, at any point in the process of resolution to (i) secretly author backstory, or (ii) secrety rewrite backstory, and (iii) to use that secret backstory as if it was part of the fictional positioning so as to (iv) automatically declare an action declaration unsuccessful ("No, the map's not in the study") - then I assert that every action declaration is simply a suggestion to the GM as to how the fiction might go. The GM - by deciding how to handle (i) to (iv) above - is actually making the decision as to what the shared fiction shall be.

(Perhaps in your game the GM doesn't enjoy any such entitlement. OK, fine. Then in making the above assertion I'm not saying anything about your game. But clearly there are some games in which the above entitlement is enjoyed by the GM.)

Here is my other main assertion - if the GM is entitled to uniatereally and secret establish elements of the shared fiction, which therefore become part of the fictional positioning for action declaration although the players may not know about it, then there is the potential for players to lose agency. In this thread I have explained in detail how I think that classic dungeoncrawling avoids this problem: (i) in that approach to player agency is not about "story" but about winning; and (ii) the players have the capacity to learn the secret backstory through their direct engagement with the game without being dependent upon the GM's preconceptions as to what is salient, how elements of the backstory relate, etc - this is because the backstory is very simple and stylised (dungeon maps and rooms, with strong play conventions around these), because there is fiat detection magic, because there is the possibility of repeat attempts at the same dungeon (this is an obvious presupposition of Gygax's advice in his PHB), etc.

I have explained why the "living, breathing world" appears to create problems for (ii) just above: the backstory is not simple and stylised and governed by robust play conventions, but is rich and verisimilitudinous and opaque to the players (look at [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION]'s example not far upthread - the players get involved in a minor street altercation and all these ramifications follow of which they had no knowledge and over which they had no practical control); exposition of information is extremeley dependent on GM opinions as to what is salient (the GM tells you the weapon the NPC carries but not how his/her shirt is tailored; the GM describes the desk in the study but not the paper clips or map pins sitting on it, nor their absence - in real life the degree and nature of clutter on a desk is one of the first things that gives you some clue as to what activity takes place at or near it; etc).

There has been quite a bit of reference, in this thread, to the PCs exploring or discovering the world. Given that the world is a fiction that exists only in the GM's notes, that can only mean that: the players declare actions for their PCs which trigger the GM reading some notes. Typically, the GM has control over which bits of the notes get read (eg suppose the players declare that their PCs break into the NPC's study and rifle through her books and papers: in a GM backstory-driven game it is the GM who will decide what the players learn about the shared fiction as a result of that action). How can it be otherwise in a game in which it is the GM who authors the backstory, and does so in advance of play? I don't regard having the power, as a player, to oblige the GM to read you bits of his/her notes which s/he gets to choose is having much agency. The contrast with dungeoneering is clear here: when a player has his/her PC use a Wand of Metal and Mineral Detection and obliges the GM to inform him/her of stuff in the dungeon neighbourhood, that is all stuff within the player's immediate field of action. It is part of the player unravelling the puzzle of the dungeon and getting ready to make a winning move (ie looting the detected treasure). If the player learns that there's not treasure nearby, that's also helpful: it helps the player work out where more profitable moves might be made. (Like turning over an unhelpful tile in Forbidden Desert - you'd rather get a helpful one, but still you've learned something that helps you make your next move.)

But triggering the GM to read you stuff which correlates to what, in the fiction, some NPC has in her books and papers, is not increasing agency in the same way. Whether or not it pertains to the current field of action is entirely up to the GM. How it might be made use of may well be up to the GM too (eg the players learn that the NPC has a cousin in a town across country who once saw someone with the widget - now they have to make the game moves that will bring it about that their PCs are in the town and talking to the cousin; or will have to find the cousin in the phonebook - and it will be up to the GM whether or not the cousin has a slient number, or has changed his/her name, or whatever; etc).

Here's a third assertion: to kick it off, let's suppose that the map that the players are hoping their PCs will find is known to be etched on a metal plate. And let's consider the following exercise of player agency: the players decide to have their PCs set fire to the house with the study in it, and then to impersonate fire fighters and thereby recover the metal map from the burning house (or maybe from it's ashes).

And let's suppose that this forces the GM to narrate fiction independently of his/her notes - s/he didn't anticipate this, and has no challenges made up aroudn dealing with the fire brigade, searching the ahses of the house, etc.

OK then - I don't regard it as an explanation of how a strong role for GM backstory supports or fosters player agency if the putative example of agency involves departure from or disregard of the backstory. And frankly, if the players are allowed to circumvent the mystery of the map in the breadbin by declaring the action of burning the house to the ground, then why not allow them to circumvent it by declaring the action of looking for the map in the study?

So those are my assertions. You think they're wrong. And you have a lot of relevant actual play experience. So why not write up a little play account that exhibits the agency and shows me what I've missed?

pemerton

Legend
I would dispute though that my style has grown unpopular or is fading away.
I don't think it is. I think Gygaxian dungeon crawling, though - of the sort that he talks about in his advice on Successful Adventuring in his PHB - is much less common (at least in proportionate terms) than it was c 1977.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong but it almost seems as if you are "evangelizing" your playstyle
Well, this thread started with the question "What is worldbuilding for (given that we're not doing Gygaxian dungeoneering)?"

The issue of "no myth"-type play only came up because some people said RPGing needs setting and hence RPGing needs worldbuilding in advance of play. The first is true; the second, though isn't - because there are well-established RPGing methods that generate setting in other ways.

In a D&D game using the style I prefer, the player is limited to what his character can do. So he has agency equivalent to what his character would have if such a fictional world really existed.
This was discussed in quite a bit of detail upthread.

I think it is ultimately an uhelpful metaphor.

In the real world, if I want to pick up a rock and throw it, that depends on (i) whether there are any rocks nearby, and (ii) a range of mechanical forces at work in my body, in my hand-rock interaction, in the motion of the rock through the air, etc.

If I am RPGing, and I declare "My guy picks up a rock and throws it", whether or not that action declaration is successful depends on (iii) whether, in the shared ficiton, it is accepted that my PC is close to some rock, and (iv) what the action resolution mechanics say about picking up and throwing nearby rocks.

The issues of agency that have come to the fore in this thread are about (iii) and (iv): who gets to decide whether or not it is true, in the shared fiction, that the PC is near a rock, and (iv) how is action resolution adjudicated.

My contention is that if (iii) is primariy determined by the GM, either ahead of time (in writing his/her notes) or on the spot prior to any action resolution mechanics being invoked, then the GM has a high degree of agency in the game and the players correspondingly less. (Agency isn't always zero sum, but in this context the GM's unilateral power does indicate a reduced degree of power on the part of the players.)

This is also the context for my remarks about the GM reading to the players from his/her notes: if a player says "I look for a rock", then in a GM-pre-authored backstory game that is a trigger for the GM to tell the player something. In my view, triggering the GM to tell you something isn't exercising a high degree of agency over the shared fiction.

Now in some RPG styles player agency over the shared fiction is not a pre-eminent consideration. Eg in Gygaxian dungeoneering, the goal of play is to beat the dungeon, not to express your character by throwing rocks. And so the whole point of play is to learn what is in the GM's notes (ie what the dungeon looks like, where the monsters are, what their treasures are) so you can beat the dungeon by getting the treasure and (often) killing the monsters. In that sort of game, player agency is not about shaping the shared ficiton in any general sense, but about being able to put together the information gained so as to be able to come up with winning plays. To work, it depends on strong play conventions (ie what winning consists in, namely, earning XP; conventions around dungeon design, such as that it is typically if not always feasible to pick the dungeon off room by room; etc).

I think that more contmporary play departs from those play conventions in various ways I've described in the OP and more recently just upthread. So I think the Gygaxian version of player agency probably has less relevance in much contemporary play.

There's clearly a style of play that is quite popular (a lot of people seem to like The Alexandrian on "node based design" and the "three clue rule", for instance) but that - as far as I can tell - involves very little player agency over the shared fiction. My inference from that is that player agency over the shared fiction is not high on a lot of RPGers priorities. They prefer to be told stuff by the GM (normally this is described as "exploration" and "clues") and then put it together to work out the solution (eg who was the murderer? where are the cultists going to hold their ritual? what is the cure that will wake the sleeping prince? where is the McGuffin hidden? etc).

My post not far upthread of this one elaborates on these ideas.

pemerton

Legend
if the players find their characters under suspicion, they are free to come up with creative options other than "someone goes to jail for this" - bribing or threatening witnesses, tampering with evidence, causing the police's case to fall apart.
Let's just focus on bribing witnesses.

I know of two main ways to resolve this.

One is: the GM has notes on the witness. (Either literal or notional, in his/her head.) When the players declare their PCs attempt to bribe the witness, the GM relies upon his/her notes to determine a likely response. Perhaps the GM sets a different price - "I'll lie for you, but only if you go and bring me the [XYZ]".

The other is: the GM has some generic rules for the difficulty of bribing people. The players establish their attempt to bribe the witness, and then a check is made. If it succeeds, the witness is bribed; if it fails, the GM decides the consequence - maybe the witness is outraged, maybe the witness asks for a higher price - "I'll lie for you, but only if you go and bring me the [XYZ]".

Classic Traveller is a variant on the second: first a reaction check is made, and a hostile reaction means that no bribery is possible. If the reaction is neutral or favourable, then the bribery check is made based on the difficulty set in accordance with the rules.

On the second approach, the GM is typically going to have to introduce some connecting backstory to help reconcile what is already established in the fiction and the outcome of the check - this can be anything from a cursory "Her eyes light up at your mention of money - she'll lie for you no worries!" to something more elaborate to give context and consequences to a failure (eg the NPC declaims her backstory about her parent who was an incorruptible official and was murdered for it, and that's why she won't take the PCs' dirty money).

I can see the player agency over the content of the shared ficiton in the second method: the players want there to be a bribable NPC, and on a successful check they get what they want.

I have more trouble seeing it in the first method: the players want there to be a bribable NPC, and the GM gets to decide whether or not there is one.

There's also scope to consider how the [XYZ] of the higher price is established - eg in Burning Wheel it would be obligatory for the referee to make that something that the will bring the player either into self-conflict or conflict with another player and that player's PC (so when one of the PCs in my game was dominated by a naga, the task set by the naga was to bring it the mage Joachim so that his blood might be spilled in sacrifice to the spirits; Joachim being the brother of another PC who was trying to save him from possession by a balrog). In some other games XYZ would be something decided by the GM in accordance with his/her priorities and views about the gameworld, rather than by following a player-established cue. That's also relevant to considering the degree of player agency.

EDIT: I've only discussed how a player might make it true, in the fiction, that his/her PC has successfully bribed a witness to lie for him/her. I haven't even got onto the issue of how this might factor into the likelihood of the PC being arrested or convicted.

If that is all resolved via method 1 above, then again I have trouble seeing much player agency.

The only edition of D&D I can think of that really has robust mechanics for resolving a trial is 4e (via the skill challenge rules). Bribing a witness would then be a particular action within the context of that challenge.

In AD&D you might try and resolve it using the reaction/loyalty rules (with the judge as the NPC whose reaction is being checked), with a successful bribing of a witness generating a favourable modifier (or at least the absence of a negative one for someone telling the judge that the PC is a bad person).

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
pemerton said:
It surprise me that you don't see this as Exhibit A in the case that the game is driven by the GM. All the action happened purely in the GM's imagination. The only agency exercised by the player was to force the GM to tell him-/herself a story!
Of course she did, and that's just my point - the DM has to follow the dominoes (if there are any; obviously there aren't always) in order to see if any of them are likely to impact the PCs later. In the example I gave the dominoes are certainly going to lead to the PCs hearing about the attempt on the Duke's life and possibly going to lead to complications for one or more PCs should the harlot place blame on them or (mistakenly) associate them with the conspirators.

This domino-following is one of the aspects of city adventuring that makes it harder to DM, or at least DM well, than contained-dungeon adventuring. Not all DMs are good at it; I know I'm often not.
Well, I know (from experience) that there are other ways to referee city adventuring that don't depend on the sort of GMing you describe here.

But in any event, I take it that you accept my point: that what you describe is an instance of a game driven by the GM. The content of the shared fiction is being determined by the GM telling herself a story. What the players are providing are some inputs that - from their point of view - are almost completely random (eg in your example, the players had no meaningful cognitive access to the fact that the scuffle in the street was part of a story the GM was telling herself about a plot against the Duke).

Emerikol

Adventurer
I think Pemerton that we are all arguing because we define agency differently. I agree 100% that player agency over the "shared fiction" or the "campaign setting" is low in my style of game. The player can choose to affect it though by making choices which really do impact the setting. In your bribe example above, I'd have defined the NPC well enough to make a fair roll on their chances to get what they want. It would be unsatisfying for someone like me to just say the guy accepts my bribe. The pc's though could at that moment choose to kill the guy and assuming they can it happens. The world changes. That guy is dead now.

I think dungeons while maybe not strictly Gygaxian as you claim (though I think your idea of Gygaxian dungeons is a bit of a strawman anyway) are still being played today in a skill based way. The group cooperatively tries to beat the dungeon. And I'm using dungeon here to represent any adventure the players choose to take up in the sandbox. I think though Gygax himself would say that if players leave the dungeon that they should not have an expectation that the dungeon is static and does not change as a result of their first foray. I also am not aware that it is a room by room game. I'm sure inexperienced players do all sorts of bad things but that is not a criticism of the style. My monsters are not dumb (unless of course they are in the world) and will rally to the sounds of battle and/or flee when they feel the situation is desperate.

In an attempt to be fair, I usually determine action plans for the monsters ahead of time to prevent me being influenced by how the game is going for the PC's. So if my action plans put the monsters in a bad way because the PC's are smart they are rewarded. I don't change the plan out from under their feet.

Emerikol

Adventurer
One other thought that is a bit off the track of the previous post. Our two styles seem so radically different that it's almost like claiming monopoly and squad leader are similar because they are both played on a board with pieces.

If we assume all styles where the players are having fun are valid styles, what are ways we can help identify games we like or don't like. I've gone to games where the DM didn't really have the sort of game I was looking for and in the end it was a waste of everyone's time.

How many styles do you think there are in gaming? I'd call the Pathfinder Adventure Path style something that is not like my style though the similarities of dungeon activities it might be closer than your style. I really do want my players to be able to do what they want within the sandbox. Adventure paths are too railroady to me. On the other hand your way is too much in another direction that is unsatisfying.

Emerikol

Adventurer
Well, I know (from experience) that there are other ways to referee city adventuring that don't depend on the sort of GMing you describe here.

But in any event, I take it that you accept my point: that what you describe is an instance of a game driven by the GM. The content of the shared fiction is being determined by the GM telling herself a story. What the players are providing are some inputs that - from their point of view - are almost completely random (eg in your example, the players had no meaningful cognitive access to the fact that the scuffle in the street was part of a story the GM was telling herself about a plot against the Duke).

Some might call this a living world. I have a calendar of significant events that are occuring in the sandbox. Those events keep on happening unless the PC's do something to turn over the cart. For my players that is verisimilitude. They want the feeling that the world is living around them and that they are living in it.

You use terms, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you don't mean to be disparaging, that are disparaging. We see the job of DM as running the NPCs in the world. You don't I realize but it doesn't leave the players out. It sets the backdrop against which the players act. If someone assassinates the Duke as planned on my calendar, the PC's can follow up or not. I try to avoid railroading the PCs into the plot unless they want to dive in or are hopeless entangled in it already which usually means they are into it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases