D&D General What is your favorite Class?

FireLance

Legend
I'd probably say Paladin across all editions, but Warlord was a close second in 4E.

On the topic of emulating 4E style classes (or at least, 4E style AED powers) in 5E, I thought one fairly simple way to do it is to gestalt a class that has mostly short rest abilities with another class that has mostly long rest abilities. So far, I've homebrewed two "elite" classes based on a Paladin/Battlemaster Fighter and a Four Elements Monk/Bladesinger Wizard.

Audiomancer

Adventurer
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed playing a Cleric in my last 5E game. With Chainmail and shield, I could back up the primary tank in melee. Or cast heals to keep other party members on their feet. Or use spells to damage the enemy directly.

I think it would be fun to play a Bard the next time I join a table—especially if it’s a group of mostly new player’s. I like the idea of handing out buffs to everyone else, and watch them enjoy being awesome on their next turn.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Mage/thief, from 2e. I like being sneaky, I like being able to use a reasonable weapon, and I like the flexibility of a spellbooks instead of the goofy "spells known" limitation.

No edition since has provided the same experience.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Ranger warlock sorcerer assassin barbarian avenger

That order.
I like story based alternate versions of socially standard classes.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
It's extremely hard to pick a single class, so I'm not going to (sorry of that's breaking the rules). My three favorite classes, all from 4e, are Paladin, Sorcerer, and Warlord. Generic disclaimer, this is all IMO, YMMV, etc.

Paladin is, for me, the most on-theme version of the class we've ever gotten. Lay on Hands got a version that ACTUALLY sacrifices something, the Divine Challenge and Divine Sanction make a great deal of sense thematically, the class is about being a champion of a deity and not a moral policeman, and it's INCREDIBLY flexible, able to go half-striker, full-leader, or even dabble pretty well in soft control effects.

Sorcerer is just a lot of fun. It feels like a real blaster, like you've got a powerful force inside you waiting to be let out. Chaos, if that's your thing, feels genuinely pretty random, and has all sorts of teleportation and tricksy things. Dragon and Cosmic make you bruisers, the former more straightforward, the latter more complex. Storm is a surprisingly group-supportive striker, and really gives the feel of riding the lightning in the right contexts. And then the Elementalist is the first true, honest-to-Bahamut ACTUALLY SIMPLE caster I've ever seen--much simpler than any version of Warlock ever made. Sorcerer has something to offer to almost anyone interested in being a heavy hitter (as long as you aren't allergic to being openly magical).

Warlord...it's the epitome of 4e design. Excellent support class, made it not just useful, not just fun, but AWESOME to support people. It isn't just a Brother Bactine, it's a **-kicking, force-multiplying powerhouse. It recognizes that every mental stat--Int, Wis, *or Cha--can be useful for leadership in the right context, and toward the latter half of 4e's run, it could genuinely support a mostly or entirely "Lazy" build if that was your thing (though that really wasn't its best performance, just an option permitted, eventually). While it couldn't be relied on to bring mega heals like a Cleric, it could do all the basic support concepts a full-support class should do, hence people called it a "full Cleric replacement."

If I had to pick a favorite Controller...I dunno, I wasn't as well-versed with them as the other three roles.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Rogues and Fighters all the way! Screw you, resource management! :p

In 4e, I loooooved the weirdo classes that only existed in 4e's vaccum: executioner, battlemind, and vampire.

Conceptually, druid would be my favorite class, but the one in 5e is too much focused on shapeshift, which I dont like, and all archetypes are pretty lame when compared to Moon. So I'm still waiting for a druid design that would please me....I'm a tough crowd. (the one from 4e was pretty fun, so was the shaman).

Argyle King

Legend
Hmm... tough to pick one, but I have a few top contenders.

3E/Pathfinder: Bard or Druid
4E: Cha-Warlord from the PHB
5E: Oath of Ancients Paladin

Remove ads