• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your favorite level to play as a DM?

What is your favorite level to play as a DM?

Votes: 69 18.5%

Votes: 47 12.6%

Votes: 93 24.9%

Votes: 73 19.6%

Votes: 135 36.2%

Votes: 112 30.0%

Votes: 126 33.8%

Votes: 108 29.0%

Votes: 79 21.2%

Votes: 84 22.5%

Votes: 61 16.4%

Votes: 59 15.8%

Votes: 35 9.4%

Votes: 33 8.8%

Votes: 27 7.2%

Votes: 24 6.4%

Votes: 24 6.4%

Votes: 23 6.2%

Votes: 21 5.6%

Votes: 18 4.8%
  • Epic Levels

Votes: 31 8.3%

TheAuldGrump

First Post
'Nother 5-7 here. This is the level where Wizards come into their own, and where Clerics become something more than a first aid kit on legs. And where you don't feel too bad about the villains playing with the same toys...

The Auld Grump in first and second editions my favorite levels were 1-3... But for 3.x 5 seems just about right!

Psion

Adventurer
6-8 or so. Not invincible to normal folks, but not in eternal peril either. Powers aren't as unmanageable as in the upper levels, but you are high enough level you are beginning to get some interesting PrCs and abilities, and can start taking on some enemies of significance.

Mr. Kaze

First Post
I have to go with 7-9 -- they're just starting to get into any PrCs they want, don't quite have ready access to teleportation, and can still be squashed flat by a properly templated monster if they're not careful with their tactics which they're having to start refining as they're seeing more and more properly templated monsters.

Running lower level characters up against similar standardized dangers of Orcs and Ogres would be more fun if they weren't expecting that the orcs and ogres would be mere cannon-fodder in a couple of levels... the role-playing instead of roll-playing thing.

But when you present a pack of level 9-10s with a huge spirit naga that cast Girallon's Blessing with Permanency so that she looks just like a huge Maralith... and then introduce her as Vasuki, the future goddess of serpentkind... Then we get back into the "What have we gotten ourselves into?" kind of dramatic concern that I as a DM expect to see from characters who are putting their lives on the line.

::Kaze (wants a character to be named Horatio just so he can say "there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy")

MonsterMash

First Post
I favour the lower levels and what in the old days were the midrange levels of 6-7. PC's gaining power and starting to face more interesting challenges, but not able to just walk over even things like Kobolds or Goblins if the monsters tactics are good.

My actual vote was for 4-7th levels, but I think I would have included 2 and 3 as well.

Staffan

Legend
I prefer low-mid levels, and voted level 1-8. After that, it gets more difficult to challenge players due to their easy access to "plot-breaker" spells like teleport and scry, which moves the campaign in directions I'm not all that comfortable with.

I just started a new Eberron campaign at level 1, and it is going well so far. The PCs are very aware of their mortality (one of the encounters had two PCs and one animal companion dipping into negative hps, and we're only halfway through the adventure so far).

D+1

First Post
5-10. Lower levels are often a great deal of fun but AS DM, they are more limited in adventure design. You run into that wall where the dice are still too fickle and can too easily turn fights into TPK's as readily as cakewalks. At 5th that is largely behind you, wizards begin to really come into their own in their spell power, variety, etc. (for use by pc's or against them).

At higher levels it really does start to get... complicated. Adventure design involves taking into account a LOT more PC capabilities, working up notably more details for NPC's and so forth. Again, you can have just as much fun - but AS DM, it also tends to be more work for the same reward. Even players tend to forget about items they have in their possession, spells or abilities they might use, etc. They settle on the same old tried-and-true (but also staid and dull) attacks and methods until it all goes kablooey and they NEED to scramble. But generally, they can be all-too-methodical. There are more and less optimum abilities and methods, yet attempting to always short-circuit those only feels arbitrarily manipulative - it becomes an annoyance rather than something that generates fun and interest.

I've never tried Epic and I doubt I ever will. I've run and played in campaigns to near-20th in 1e, 2e, and 3e and that has always been more than problematic enough for me.

Crothian

First Post
All of them. But it only works if we go through from the beginning. For instance Epic play is not as much fun unless one started at first level and had the growth of character in a campaign that has lasted for a long time. Its the building of the campaign in previous levels and stories that really makes the high level games so great.

Remove ads