• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your favorite level to play as a DM?

What is your favorite level to play as a DM?

Votes: 69 18.5%

Votes: 47 12.6%

Votes: 93 24.9%

Votes: 73 19.6%

Votes: 135 36.2%

Votes: 112 30.0%

Votes: 126 33.8%

Votes: 108 29.0%

Votes: 79 21.2%

Votes: 84 22.5%

Votes: 61 16.4%

Votes: 59 15.8%

Votes: 35 9.4%

Votes: 33 8.8%

Votes: 27 7.2%

Votes: 24 6.4%

Votes: 24 6.4%

Votes: 23 6.2%

Votes: 21 5.6%

Votes: 18 4.8%
  • Epic Levels

Votes: 31 8.3%

the Jester

Legend
1st through 3rd and 17th and up.

But maybe that's cause the two games I'm running right now fall into those levels... whenever this question comes up, my answer always seems to correspond to my current gaming crew.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I picked 3rd through 6th. Survival no longer hangs by a hair, and depends more on PC ability than on chance. Spells are interesting and numerous but not overwhelming in power or options. Pretty much any plot is still workable without kludging.

My PCs are 9th level now, and I have a much more difficult time designing or running challenging -- but not overwhelming -- encounters for them. It seems like at this level a single mistake is much more determinative of an encounter's outcome than at 3rd through 6th.

But I'm learning. I just hope I don't fall too far behind in my DM skill, relative to their PCs' level.

Quickbeam

Explorer
I like running games in the 7th-9th level range. The array of monster and creature combos is wonderful; the players have solid equipment and a tasty selections of spells (as do their foes); and the games are generally reaching a point where many unexpected obstacles can be handled more readily.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
There must be a lot of folks on EN World who DM-only (or who prefer that) since there's so many who stepped up on this poll but not on the other. I'm kinda in that boat, too, in that I rarely play and actually prefer to DM most of the time. Do othe rpeople feel that way or am I perhaps misinterpreting the results (so far) of the poll?

Remove ads