• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your favorite level to play as a DM?

What is your favorite level to play as a DM?

Votes: 69 18.5%

Votes: 47 12.6%

Votes: 93 24.9%

Votes: 73 19.6%

Votes: 135 36.2%

Votes: 112 30.0%

Votes: 126 33.8%

Votes: 108 29.0%

Votes: 79 21.2%

Votes: 84 22.5%

Votes: 61 16.4%

Votes: 59 15.8%

Votes: 35 9.4%

Votes: 33 8.8%

Votes: 27 7.2%

Votes: 24 6.4%

Votes: 24 6.4%

Votes: 23 6.2%

Votes: 21 5.6%

Votes: 18 4.8%
  • Epic Levels

Votes: 31 8.3%

beeber

First Post
anywhere from 3rd to 12th. 1st & 2nd is character establishment (and survival, yes) and over 12th starts to become a power race. 3-12 makes the pc's stronger than the average village but not strong enough to slaughter towns (and start working on cities). my evil players love to kill hordes of commoners. time for the githyanki incursion. . . .

kerakus

First Post
1st level for me. Nothing like the feeling of starting a new campaign and having that sense of danger and discovery on the first adventure.

Peterson

First Post
Hellhound's post is right with me

Levels 3-8 are my prime favorites, but 5th is where it really seems to come together for my players.

Maybe its the hint at more attacks, better spells, powerful magic items, I don't know, but that's where they really buckle down and start making it their game, as opposed to the DM's new idea.

Just my experience,

Peterson

MetalBard

First Post
Actually, I like DMing throughout the levels. The various power levels bring their own unique feel to problem solving and conflict in the game. Once the players start hitting the upper levels though, you need to do a little more work to keep up with them, but the work is rewarding in the end. At least that's what I find.
I chose levels 1-19 because I've never DMed anybody 20th level or above, but that will change once I start my FR campaign back up and the 19th level paladin of Corellon Larethian gets those last few experience points needed to hit 20th...

Kalendraf

Explorer
I enjoy level 5th to 8th the most, both as a DM and a player. I don't mind the lower levels, and I certainly have a lot of experience playing and DM'ing them, but around 5th things seem to get much more interesting. From about 9th level on, there seems to be a tendency for things to spiral out of control, sometimes making it more difficult to DM and less fun to play.

Last edited:

Baron Opal

First Post
12-16 is my favorite. I don't have any experience yet with higher levels, but I'm sure I will like those too. I enjoy the challenge of the characters having that level of capability.

Baron Opal

shilsen

Adventurer
I can enjoy myself playing and DMing at all levels, but if I have to pick a section, then 6-10 works for me. Recently, due to a lot of low-level gaming in my group, I'm leaning towards the 10+ range as a change.

Remove ads