D&D 5E What is your favorite subsystem?

Reynard

Legend
Outside of the Core books, 5E has presented a few new subsystems over the last 5 years. Which one is your favorite? Note: I am talking about official WotC stuff here, but feel free to talk about 3rd party stuff. You do what you want; I ain't your dad.

Anyway, I am curious what new mechanics have appeared that people like, and those which people are ambivalent on. I can't say as I write this anything really leaps out at me although the mythic monster bit from Theros sounds interesting (but I do not have the book yet). I am probably going to use patrons in my upcoming Eberron campaign, and am interested to learn more about the rules for running a company in Aquisitions Inc.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I really like the mechanics from Acquisitions Inc, both for home bases and for downtime generally. I also like the work done on patrons and factions in both Ravnica and Eberron. Having an expanded downtime system, and one that can produce adventure hooks with built-in player by-in is cool. I also like how it can really make a group care about their home base - they're invested in it in a significant way - and I think it really makes a game feel like it's happening in a living setting. Sure, the party is slaying dragons and saving the world from abominations, but they also have someone stealing the rain barrels from outside their tavern and composing embarrassing and scurrilous ditties about them in the local pubs.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I use the exploration rules - Activities While Traveling, Navigating, Tracking, Foraging, etc. - quite a lot and players really seem to enjoy them. Though I haven't ruled out some sort of novelty effect because I don't know a single DM who also uses them outside of people who have played in my games and brought them to their own games.

Weiley31

Legend
Well my favorite Subsystem in DND 5E is the Class Die Pool mechanics. From the Bard, to the Monk, The recent legit Wild Card Rogue Path on DND Beyond, I love when the Class have a Class Die mechanic.Youcan solve a number of potential probs with a class concept with them.

Take the Monk for example. While I would use a Monk weapon, the basic idea of the Monk, for me, is the Hand to Hand aspect. The Martial Arts Die starts off basic, but can pretty much upgrade itself to a D10 eventually. Yet it still allows me to still use my fists as a Monk while allowing it to Scale in damage so I'm not completely helpless. That's just awesome! All I need to do is find some Mystical Guantlets that are +3 and good bonuses, and I'm legit all set on weapons.

You can use the Class Die Pool mechanic for anything really. Wanna be a Monk Soulknife and you want the Mind blade to be your main viable weapon? Make a "Mind Blade" Die that upgrades like the Monks Martial Arts Die.Or do what I do and Reskin it as a Mind Blade die.

Want to be a "Dusk blade" but you don't feel like jacking the updated Blood Hunter's Diabolic Channel to represent the Dusk Blade's spell channeling? Make it into a Class Die, rename it Eldritch Strike/Channeled Strike, reflavour Eldritch Knight name wise to Dusk Blade and your good to go!

Last edited:

GlassJaw

Hero
I use the exploration rules - Activities While Traveling, Navigating, Tracking, Foraging, etc. - quite a lot and players really seem to enjoy them. Though I haven't ruled out some sort of novelty effect because I don't know a single DM who also uses them outside of people who have played in my games and brought them to their own games.

This is good to hear. I really need to start remembering to use the travel rules. I'm always looking for systems to make travel more meaningful but I'm not sure why I've looked past the actual core rules.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
This is good to hear. I really need to start remembering to use the travel rules. I'm always looking for systems to make travel more meaningful but I'm not sure why I've looked past the actual core rules.

I use them for town-to-dungeon scenarios and hexcrawls which are chiefly what I create and run these days. For any other sort of scenario, I likely wouldn't use them because the travel portion of the adventure, if any, isn't often very meaningful or interesting. So if travel actually matters, I recommend employing them. If it's only peripheral, then there's no need in my view.

Also, they are not organized in one place and it requires pulling them together from the PHB and DMG and really thinking about how they are employed so as to make sure they are meaningful choices with interesting trade-offs.

Laurefindel

Legend
While not perfect, the revised downtime activities from Xanathar are nice. Ièd be curious to compare them with Acquisition Inc

Otherwise, my favourite (but perhaps most downplayed) subsystem introduced by 5e remains the background/personality traits and inspiration. The execution is admittedly flawed, but the idea behind it is a HUGE leap forward from the alignment system, and a good step toward character-driven achievements.

Remove ads