• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E what is your favourite spell in 5th edition so far?

gyor

Legend
So far its Spirit Guardians, the third level cleric spell. Great flavour, cool mechanics, very useful, and you can cast it before combat when you think your about to go into battle. In a 9th level slot it deals 9d8 per turn to any enemies caught with in 15 feet of you, it lasts 10 minutes. One downside its a consentration spell, but for a front line fighting cleric it could be very brutal damage if used right.

I also like guiding bolt, it gives the cleric a blastery spell at first level and scales all the way to 9th, and it can give the Wizard advantage on some of his attack spells, also really useful for a rogue who doesn't current have advantage or can't get it overwise, which really boosts the damage of the party beyond what the cleric deals.

beej

Explorer
Mine is Globe of Invulnerability. This is excellent against mage battles.

I'm also about 40% sure that it cannot be affected by dispel magic.

And it also requires Concentration, so it's fairly balanced. I won't be doing silly shenanigans such as Flying with a Globe of Invulnerability on.

I wish I could cast it on the fighter, though. (You can't.)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thaumaturgy.

All sorts of minor little tricks, without mechanical effect but only with narrative effect. It's a brilliant catch-all. Prestidigitation is also good, but I'm happier that the cleric can choose to have something like this.

Stalker0

Legend
Guardian of Faith.

Sure its cool when Gandalf goes "you shall not pass!" But even better when I have an invincible spirit guardian to back it up:)

Meteor Swarm. It's actually worthy of being a 9th level spell now.

Which is back to being called "Meteor Swarm" because, while it's far more descriptive, calling the spell "Conjure Charred Wasteland Where a Whole Freakin' Village Used to Be" took up too much space on the page.

Holy CRAP, that spell is nasty!

Thaumaturgy.

All sorts of minor little tricks, without mechanical effect but only with narrative effect. It's a brilliant catch-all. Prestidigitation is also good, but I'm happier that the cleric can choose to have something like this.

Same. Wish it was still called Orison, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads