What is your opinion of Savage Worlds?

aramis erak

Legend
I want to like it; I just have been unimpressed by seeing it in play. "Fast! Furious! Fun!" - what I've seen generally points only to the later two, but not the first.
I will note that it's not the scaling that's an issue; atts and skills scale almost identically in Cortex Plus/Cortex Prime.
I've got a number of the SW books in PDF... but haven't pulled the trigger.

Greg K

Legend
I like it. I prefer it to d20, d20M, 5e, and a lot of other systems. I don't like the Martial Artist edges or that there still has not been a Martial Arts Companion. Last time I ran, I did forget that I had a small Martial Arts supplement from 12 to Midnight and written by PEG's own Clint Black that was servicable in the meantime (There were two versions-both free if I recall correctly). I probably forgot about it due to hokey names for several of the Edges.

The only reason I did not run it more was that my late godbrother was irked by the Acing mechanic and lower dice.

Rogerd1

Adventurer
I like it. I prefer it to d20, d20M, 5e, and a lot of other systems. I don't like the Martial Artist edges or that there still has not been a Martial Arts Companion. Last time I ran, I did forget that I had a small Martial Arts supplement from 12 to Midnight and written by PEG's own Clint Black that was servicable in the meantime (There were two versions-both free if I recall correctly). I probably forgot about it due to hokey names for several of the Edges.

The only reason I did not run it more was that my late godbrother was irked by the Acing mechanic and lower dice.
I would recommend Gurps Martial Arts for some ideas here, or Mongoose Runquest I Legendary abilities.

Or steal some class abilities from DnD5e or PF.
Then just homebrew as needed. Super easy tbh.

Sir Brennen

Legend
I’ve had fun with Savage Worlds, but mostly as a secondary game. I agree that a little luck with exploding dice can really throw things off… I had a major villain that was supposed to be nigh unbeatable get one-shotted thanks to to a ridiculous damage roll. You may want to consider the house rule I implemented: you only get one ace per rank per roll. Novices get one exploding die, seasoned get two and so on.
That seems like it can throw some things off in the game, like Dramatic Tasks, which require X number of successes (including raises), very tough creatures that might need 2 Raises to inflict a wound, or offset massive penalties that may need multiple raises to overcome. Not to mention sometimes needing multiple Raises for PCs to soak damage that they themselves take.

You could instead use the Setting Rule included in the game of limiting damage to 4 wounds. Then use your GM bennies (and the NPC's, since they're most likely a Wild Card) to soak the damage for your Big Bad.

Remove ads