• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your party composition?

Crothian

First Post
Umbran said:
*sigh*. Always wanted to get into a good Changeling game.

It wasn't easy but once I was determined to get one started there was nothing stopping me. I had to ask like 20 people though before I found three willing to play though.

thompgc

First Post
In the current game I'm DMing, there is
Minotaur (was Fighter 1, but raise dead lost that level, will have it back soon)
Draconic Human Duskblade 7
Elan Psion(Kineticist) 9
Half-Giant Psychic Warrior 5, Warmind 4
Human Variant Ranger w/wildshape 5, Master of Many Forms 2, 1 Natures Warrior 1
Catfolk Ranger 2, Scout 5, OotBI 1
Draconic Human Monk 2, Cleric 4, Sacred Fist 3
Tiefling Wizard 5, Incantatrix 4

I use the unearthed arcana rules for buying off LA thus the odd races

szilard

First Post
Currently, I'm playing in two high-level 3.5 games.

The more normal of the two is at about 18th level:

- Human Dervish (with a smattering of Fighter, Rogue, and probably Scout)
- Human Bard/Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker
- Elf Scout/Wizard/Elf Paragon
- Elf Druid (me)
- Human Warmage (with a couple Paladin levels)

The other is a now-Epic level Gestalt game
- Half-Orc Fighter/Pious Templar (with a few levels of ninja, cleric, and half-orc and human paragon)
- Human (Half-Draqon) Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple (with a few levels of Monk, Fighter, Human Paragon, and Paladin) (me)
- Githzerai Monk/somethingorother (probably mostly fighter)
- Aasimar Cleric/Rogue

In the AD&D variant campaign we just played through Tsojcanth with three quasi-gestalt PCs:

-Half-Elf LG Cleric of Rao/Wizard 10
-Human CG Cleric of Trithereon/Thief 9 (me)
-Drow TN Wizard/Fighter 11
and an NPC Fighter/Thief 8

-Stuart

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
CTSparky said:
That being said I think that our current composition of characters is not the most well balanced in the world.

Our party:
Sorc 10/ Dragon Disciple 1
Paladin 9/ Rogue 1
Rogue 10/ Nightsong Enforcer 2
Ranger 10
NPC: Cleric 10
Your party balance looks just fine...about the only change I'd make might be to trade the Sorceror in for a Wizard, but that's just my personal bias. :) The Ranger-Rogue combination tells me this is a scout-first party, which is fine; never mind that even the Paladin has dipped into Rogue as well. That said, you're probably not going to deal out damage by the bucketload, so again it'll come down to scouting and sneaking.

There is, however, nothing at all stopping you from hiring 2 or 3 Fighters as henches to give you a semblance of a front line...

What is your current party composition?
What do you think an ideal party composition (for 4 players, and 6 players)
The number of players and the party composition are, to me, separate issues. Regardless of number of players, the ideal party is balanced between what I call front-middle-rear characters. Front is your Fighters and other tank-types; middle is your Rogues, light Rangers, etc., and back is your wizards and healers. Now, depending on your group's style you could have one of each plus a spare (WotC's archetypal formation is this; a F-C-R-W party as a 1-2-1); you could go 2-2-2 (your current group above is a 1-2-2) for a 6-player group or a more rounded party for 4 players; you could go 3-3-3 or some other combination for a larger group, and so on. My own preference is for something like a 5-3-3, but we play big parties. :)

My two current groups are quite different from each other. One is about 4-5-2 and the other is something like 2-6-3, the 6 being Monks, Rogues, etc. (they've gone Monk-happy in that party recently, for some reason).

Lanefan

loki44

Explorer
OD&D Campaign:

Human Male Fighting Man
Human Male Fighting Man
Human Male Fighting Man/Magic User
Human Female Magic User
Human Male Magic User
Human Male Cleric (discovered he has psionics and lost his connection with the Gods)
Fae Female Ranger

I guess we could use some healing and a thief would be nice too. Our Human Male Cleric, Elven Female Fighting Man, and our Elven Female Thief left the group.

Arnwyn

First Post
CTSparky said:
What is your current party composition?
Aasimar hexblade 5
Gold elf Wiz 6
Lightfoot halfling Ftr2/Rog4
Human Swashbuckler 2/Rog4/Lasher 1
Human Drd6
Human Clr6 of Tymora

What do you think an ideal party composition (for 4 players, and 6 players)
I'm fine with the assumption of 4 players - my players are so incompetent that they need the extra 2 player cushion. ;)

Remove ads