• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your reaction to the Ravnica news?

What is your reaction to the Ravnica news?

• Very Excited

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Excited

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Neutral

Votes: 75 39.9%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 31 16.5%
  • Very Disappointed

Votes: 19 10.1%

MarkB

Legend
It reminds me of when I saw Hasbro come out with Star Wars Transformer figures that literally looked like Boba Fett, Darth Vader, et al, turning into spaceships. Its cool to have a Star Wars line with new stuff and it's cool to have a new generation of Transformers, but when you mash them together, something's got to give. Something about this setting is going to be Procrustean. You're going to have to chop some DnD off at the knees and some MtG off at the elbows to make them fit in this new box together, and that proposition is more disappointing to me that what they could have done if they had just made something grow directly out of the 5e core. Han Solo loses some of his aesthetic if his body is also expected to turn into the Millennium Falcon.

I've still got a Transformers LAAT Gunship. I think I turned it into robot form all of two times, but when it was in LAAT form it was remarkably free of seams and faithful to the original design, and almost perfectly scaled to D&D miniatures. Which made it great for using in Star Wars Saga Edition games.

I've still got a Transformers LAAT Gunship. I think I turned it into robot form all of two times, but when it was in LAAT form it was remarkably free of seams and faithful to the original design, and almost perfectly scaled to D&D miniatures. Which made it great for using in Star Wars Saga Edition games.

But did it turn into Han Solo?? lol

I'm neutral, it looks like an interesting setting, but more like shadow run with its corporations by another name and Magic tech which is not my thing. But a thought we'd get a classic setting from the hardcore being happy comment, and we haven't at all.

Horwath

Legend
I'm disappointed not because it will bed product, it will be good for sure, but for spending company resources on this rather on more "core" d&d stuff.

There is still tons of stuff for FR, Ebberon, Dark Sun, hell, even modern or future tech settings.

I'm very excited. I like 5e, but am bored to tears with pseudo-medievalism. This looks like just the ticket (would also like to see a stone age or bronze age setting, but can't have everything all at once). I was going to switch to Starfinder when my current campaign was complete, but I prefer the 5e mechanics.

As for the MtG crossover, if it brings in more money for the game I'm all for it.

Ymdar

Explorer
I am neutral about Ravnica but would be very pleased if there were even more D&D players. Also I really enjoyed the Artifacts Cycle books and always thought those would make a great setting.

n0nym

Explorer
Tbh, I voted Disappointed but I just realised that Ravnica was basically a bad copy of Planescape, which means we'll never get Planescape in 5th... So I'm actually Very disappointed.

Tallifer

Hero
I voted neutral, but that is not a strike against Ravnica: I would vote neutral on every setting since no matter which world I use, I tend to adapt it to my whimsy.

steampunk pumpkin vehicle.jpg

Disappointed. I wanted Spelljammer, Darksun, and Greyhawk. If this brings over lots of new players I'll change my mind. D&D always needs new players.

Remove ads