what isn't an rpg that should be?

shadow

First Post
Silent Hill

Seriously, I've been looking for a good surreal, psychological horror rpg for some time now. It seems that most horror rpgs are either gothic horror (i.e. vampires, werewolves, etc.) or Lovecraftian horror (Cthulhu mythos and insanity).

Razjah

Explorer
I'd like to see a few things as an rpg or a setting with enough house rules to make it work.
Dune by Frank Herbert
Codex Alera books by Jim Butcher
The Elven Ways by Jenna Rhodes (not a very good series, but amazing setting and world)
Magic: the Gathering
Spyro the Dragon (admit it, it would be fun)
Fallout (every time I play New Vegas I think I want to make it in Savage Worlds. Fate could work too)
Lego (either the film or the video games)

delericho

Legend
Seriously, I've been looking for a good surreal, psychological horror rpg for some time now. It seems that most horror rpgs are either gothic horror (i.e. vampires, werewolves, etc.) or Lovecraftian horror (Cthulhu mythos and insanity).

Isn't that just a matter of adventure design? What would a "Silent Hill" RPG give you that you couldn't do with, say, "World of Darkness"?

Argyle King

Legend
I'd like to see a few things as an rpg or a setting with enough house rules to make it work.
Dune by Frank Herbert
Codex Alera books by Jim Butcher
The Elven Ways by Jenna Rhodes (not a very good series, but amazing setting and world)
Magic: the Gathering
Spyro the Dragon (admit it, it would be fun)
Fallout (every time I play New Vegas I think I want to make it in Savage Worlds. Fate could work too)
Lego (either the film or the video games)

The original Fallout was loosely based on GURPS, so it wouldn't be hard to turn it into a tabletop game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to see the old 80s Cartoon The Centurions as some kind of rpg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQT00ZSVzcg

dm4hire

Explorer
Isn't that just a matter of adventure design? What would a "Silent Hill" RPG give you that you couldn't do with, say, "World of Darkness"?

Silent Hill would be more combat intensive at times compared to WoD. Not necessarily on the players side as far as attacking, but dodging attacks and trying to get away. I would almost think it would be better to use a modified BRP styled off of CoC since you have sanity issues as well.

delericho

Legend
Silent Hill would be more combat intensive at times compared to WoD. Not necessarily on the players side as far as attacking, but dodging attacks and trying to get away. I would almost think it would be better to use a modified BRP styled off of CoC since you have sanity issues as well.

Well, fair enough. But, still, why the need for a "Silent Hill" RPG specifically, rather than just some adventures for another existing system that are designed appropriately?

(Of course, the same could be said for a lot of potential licensed RPGs - very often, all you really want are stats for the particular characters/vehicles/etc for the setting and then you could run it in pretty much any other system.)

Razjah

Explorer
Well, fair enough. But, still, why the need for a "Silent Hill" RPG specifically, rather than just some adventures for another existing system that are designed appropriately?

(Of course, the same could be said for a lot of potential licensed RPGs - very often, all you really want are stats for the particular characters/vehicles/etc for the setting and then you could run it in pretty much any other system.)

True, but often certain systems don't properly reflect the genre. A few optional rules to use to better capture the genre would be beneficial with the stats.

Selkirk

First Post
excellent calls here ...transformers seems like such a natural fit :cool:-a stat block lover's fantasy. and im loving the idea of a silent hill rpg ... i would agree that the horror camps have pretty much split into either ravenloft or lovecraft...definitely room for a more bracing/modern take on horror .

as to what else i would want to see...how about a rejuvenated elric rpg (i know the old elric rpg's get much respect but let's get a relaunch) - michael moorcock wrote 20 sourcebooks a novel :D. those worlds are so evocative and violent and sensual, they beg for further attention.

Remove ads