What makes a better setting?

How do you like your published campaign settings?

• Fully detailed setting, where every aspect is described across multiple books and maps

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Detailed setting, where each culture is described across a couple books, with a detailed map

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Basic setting, described in one book, with plenty of room to add my own stuff and a sparse map

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • I use my own setting most of the time

Votes: 28 43.8%

• Poll closed .

Living Legend

First Post
One thing my friends and I frequently discuss are things we don't like about settings. I generally feel like the majority of settings I have seen are too detailed, that there is no room for mystery or to add in your own corner of the world. I think it would be nice for a setting to just capture the feel of a place, provide you with a few locations that have a detailed description, and some NPC's or a starter town and leave the rest to you. This would be 50 pages at the very longest, but usually more like 15 or 20 (starter towns would take up more space). Adventures and campaigns could fill in these gaps as needed, and DM's would have plenty of room and inspiration to create their own stuff. That being said, I know a lot of people out there love a huge amount of detail and feel that makes the world a rich place to be in.

So which in your opinion is the best way to go?

AeroDm

First Post
I like a setting that provides me with easily adaptable material and stuff that I can't do on my own. An example of easily adaptable material would be a well done organization that isn't necessarily geographically tied down so I can put them anywhere without having to concoct a reason why but the players immediately know that they mean business (or whatever). For "stuff I can't do on my own" I am mostly referring to maps and art. I really liked how FR 3.0 focused on few artists in a generally tight style. It really did a lot to give the world a consistent feel.

Beyond that, I agree with almost everything you said. I really like the concept of Points of Light because it provide a setting-wide mechanism for why the party could get lost and accidentally wander into whatever I want.

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
I cannot disagree with you more. To me, I like a setting with a good amount of detail. But for me there is no such thing as details restrict imagination. I don't understand that. There is always wiggle room in any published setting. For instance, many cities may have some NPCs on who runs the Tavern and the like, but are often silent on the actual nobility that runs the city. Therefore you can create your noble families for the city. Many city maps also leave huge areas of buildings open for you to add your own people and things to it as well. But the thing about having noble families is this: they're only important if you plan on having the PCs involved with political intrigue. Otherwise, they're not truly necessary.

For instance, in Waterdeep why have nobles involved if you just want to explore Undermountain?

So you see, I'll never understand this feeling of a lot of detail means you can't use your imagination.

Because you see, there is nothing that says you can't add anything you want to the city or country and that you have absolutely no choice and must obey the details.

Nothing at all.

I feel no restrictions, and at least for me it's good to have a lot of information.

Stormonu

Legend
I like a setting to introduce itself in a single book or boxed set, and if you want to expand on it, that there is supplemental material to flesh out those other areas. Also, there needs to be enough areas open for me to be able to flesh out an area or two as I desire ("Here there be dragons" areas or vague kingdom descriptions that can be expanded upon).

For example, Greyhawk was a little too sparse, but Forgotten Realms got too bogged down in detail. If FR was limoted to the old gray box and the FR1-FR15 supplements, that'd be about the detail level I want (and actually more; I'd only use the FR supplments for those areas I'd be running long-term campaigns in).

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Right now I am working on a campaign setting, and I am up to 37 pages on the rough draft. Most of it is fluff, and I've only got a page on History and Cosmology.

The thing is, I don't disagree with the OP - at least, not completely. There is a crap ton of room for people to add their own stuff, or to cut out pieces of the setting for either inclusions. I am not even defining the borders of nations on the map.

Yet it is only the first volume.

The thing is, Ironbound: Chains of Phaetos is a modular setting. Each volume is, in essence, it's own setting. Ironbound: Empire of the Dwarves (the first volume of Chains of Phaetos) is like making a campaign setting based upon the Roman Empire.

Mechanically, it is a bit light. There are some new player options with Bloodline Feats, and I am considering Occupational Traits, but other than that, a handful of monsters, and some optional alternative racial traits, there isn't that much crunch. I do plan on adding some roll tables for a GM to generate deities, towns, and NPCs. Yet I am finding that it is not easy to create a campaign setting and keep it really short.

A

amerigoV

I did not like any of the poll answers. I like Ideas. I'm not a FR fanboy, but I really liked the 3e campaign setting book. Every area had a couple of tidbits of what was going on in the area ("lately giants have been raiding from the mountains in retaliation to incursions by adventurers").

Now a Savage, I really love their setting books as most have a plot point arc and sometimes a random adventure generator. Stuff you can use or discard based on taste and how creative you are feeling at the time.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I have always used my own setting. I never wanted there to be any information available other than what I create.

If I had the time and interest to get into a setting, I'd want good detail, but in truth, if I had enough time to read the FR books (for example), I'd rather spend that time writing my own setting material.

Greg K

Legend
I like a setting to introduce itself in a single book or boxed set, and if you want to expand on it, that there is supplemental material to flesh out those other areas. Also, there needs to be enough areas open for me to be able to flesh out an area or two as I desire ("Here there be dragons" areas or vague kingdom descriptions that can be expanded upon).

For example, Greyhawk was a little too sparse, but Forgotten Realms got too bogged down in detail. If FR was limoted to the old gray box and the FR1-FR15 supplements, that'd be about the detail level I want (and actually more; I'd only use the FR supplments for those areas I'd be running long-term campaigns in).

I pretty much agree. However, for Forgotten Realms, I would also include 2e's Faiths and Avatars, Powers and Perils, and the demihuman deities book with the FR1-15 (edit: actually, there are a couple of other 2e books I would throw in as well)

As for Greyhawk, I can't recall what the original boxes set included. I do like the folio that predated it and Gary's articles on the deities and the one on the various races of people (I may have to go back and see what other interesting articles were included). However, I agree, the setting stuff was sparse. It could have used something like FR1-15

Remove ads