D&D 5E What Makes an Orc an Orc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest 6801328

Because then everyone is the same. Sure, Spock is high level, but that is only part of why he is smart. And Chewbacca is not stronger than Wicket because he is high level, he is stronger because he is a Wookiee and Wicket is an Ewok.

I don't think this is really that difficult concept, even though you would not agree. Part of the fluff of certain species is that they're better at certain things than others. Mechanics need to allow them to do that or it is a lie. It is not about a specific score, it is that difference being mechanically represented.

Except it doesn’t accomplish what you are saying. All it accomplishes is that some races get to a 20 a few levels before other races. I’d have more sympathy for the argument if ASIs didn’t exist, but they do.

Also, while a +1 bonus on your primary rolls is a big deal statistically, it’s not very observable. If you watched a session where one fighter had a 14 Strength and one had a 16, and the players only announced whether or not they succeeded on rolls, you would be hard pressed to know which one had which score. Even if you carefully tabulated the results, until you had lots (scores) of data points RNG would have a bigger effect than the +1.

So I have a really hard time sympathizing with the argument that the bonus makes a character feel stronger (or smarter or whatever.)

If you want to feel stronger (or smarter) then wouldn't you rather have an ability that lets you do something other races can't do (like Half-orc relentless endurance) Instead of getting a largely invisible statistical tweak?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
It is way more serious minefield. I am pretty perplexed how some many people have seriously suggested something like that, especially as those same people seem to be worried by racist connotations of having orcs be stronger than hobbits. When we start to assign mechanical bonuses to direct analogues of real-life cultures we are in a pure racism zone.
So don’t make them direct analogues of real-life cultures?

Except it doesn’t accomplish what you are saying. All it accomplishes is that some races get to a 20 a few levels before other races. I’d have more sympathy for the argument if ASIs didn’t exist, but they do.

Also, while a +1 bonus on your primary rolls is a big deal statistically, it’s not very observable. If you watched a session where one fighter had a 14 Strength and one had a 16, and the players only announced whether or not they succeeded on rolls, you would be hard pressed to know which one had which score. Even if you carefully tabulated the results, until you had scores of data points, RNG would have a bigger effect than the +1.

So I have a really hard time sympathizing with the argument that the bonus makes a character feel stronger (or smarter or whatever.)

If you want to feel stronger (or smarter) then wouldn't you rather have an ability that lets you do something other races can't do (like Half-orc relentless endurance) Instead of getting a largely invisible statistical tweak?
Now I feel that you are arguing it both ways. If you barely notice the one point better modifier in actual play then it hardly if a grave injustice if your chosen race cannot get it and someone else can! And yeah, I would prefer if the difference was maintained throughout the levels, but it being there at lower levels is better than nothing. Besides, games rarely go much past level ten and from thereon the characters already become clearly superhuman mythical heroes so concerns about realism are less relevant than on lower levels where you are playing more or less normal (fantasy) people.

G

Guest 6801328

Now I feel that you are arguing it both ways. If you barely notice the one point better modifier in actual play then it hardly if a grave injustice if your chosen race cannot get it and someone else can!
No, it’s just that humans are bad at perceiving (let alone understanding) statistics.

You seem to be saying it’s not a big deal, it just feels like one. And I’m saying t doesn’t feel like a big deal, but it actually is. :)

And yeah, I would prefer if the difference was maintained throughout the levels, but it being there at lower levels is better than nothing. Besides, games rarely go much past level ten and from thereon the characters already become clearly superhuman mythical heroes so concerns about realism are less relevant than on lower levels where you are playing more or less normal (fantasy) people.

So, again, why wouldn’t you rather have a unique thematic ability that you get to proactively use, that other races won’t also get in a few levels?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

Also, while a +1 bonus on your primary rolls is a big deal statistically, it’s not very observable. If you watched a session where one fighter had a 14 Strength and one had a 16, and the players only announced whether or not they succeeded on rolls, you would be hard pressed to know which one had which score. Even if you carefully tabulated the results, until you had lots (scores) of data points RNG would have a bigger effect than the +1.

if ability scores mean so little then they aren’t that big of a deal then why the push to remove them?

No, it’s just that humans are bad at perceiving (let alone understanding) statistics.

You seem to be saying it’s not a big deal, it just feels like one. And I’m saying t doesn’t feel like a big deal, but it actually is. :)
Haha, perhaps! But ultimately how it feels it is the thing it matters. If a person feels that their character is doing Ok then that is good enough, regardless of the exact numerical amount or damage they're doing or whatever.

But one point difference is the smallest difference the granularity of the system allows. So my thinking is that giving that must be fine. It is a way to represent this difference still being there without the least impact to the balance that the granularity of the system allows. If one point difference is a deal breaker, then the system itself is broken (I don't think this is the case.)

So, again, why wouldn’t you rather have a unique thematic ability that you get to proactively use, that other races won’t also get in a few levels?
It is not either or. Vulcan are stronger and smarter than humans and they are also telepathic. Representing all of these mechanically would be important.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
As much as I don't like the proposed changes to the ability bonuses, it is commonly incorrectly assumed that the lesson from 4e was 'don't ever change anything' whereas it more likely was 'don't change everything at once.' Small changes here and there are generally well tolerated. (I just wish that change this time would be getting rid of the alignment rather than the racial ability bonuses.)

I don’t think it is game breaking to get rid of differences per se, just boring. I am not interested in engaging in a non offensive but boring game play experience.

I know others have a different calculus and that is fine. I just think for the long term brand (not sales now but the long term quality and distinctive as of the brand) diluting the tropes and differences is a bad idea. it’s part of why D&D remains the choice of fantasy RPG for most. It’s also the mistake 4e made (not judging anyone’s personal preferences!). We all get the same toys with different names.

it was high quality for what it was. But 5e brought some differentiation back and it flourished, due in part to this.

there has been a lot said about “new players” and younger players. When they did play testing, they had a cross section. For a reason. it’s important to note that sameness did not sell. And ultimately it’s a hobby. Sanitizing it to a “non problematic sheen” might help a few people feel better? But does it help the game?

I do not want to see the brand throw out too much of what D&D to maybe change some sort of subconscious messaging that is not intended nor demonstrably impactful.

research on games (both rpg and video games) has failed to yield any clear connection to real world behavior. Just as pretending to use a Morningstar on someone’s head in game is not breeding real life murder Hobos, there is zero evidence that racism flows from traditional orcs.

it’s a TOTAL leap of faith. Until I can evidence see otherwise, my question is only about what is a more entertaining game.

I can appreciate that others seem to think a lack of alignment or racial modifiers is better, but I cannot see it in terms of absolute imperatives as some do. people flocked to a game with traditional elements. Play testing seemed to suggest better overall appeal of some of these things.

as a result, proposed changes are largely due to an assumption not supported by any research In social sciences or of a consumer nature aside from a biased sample of twitter outragers. So in answer to “what is an orc” I would refer someone to the tropes.

Gygax had some great things to say about the game as a “game.” He also noted the forces of evil were presented as obstacles for heroes to “strive against and to crush.”

it probably depends on the person’s intent. If you want high drama and soul searching, sure. Make alignment totally individual. Not the game for me or most I have played with. But it’s cool. Some people even avoid combat. if people want to fight monsters and save the village with less moral complexity I think the current set up works.

I also think it’s good to note that there have ALWAYS been creatures that break the mold and it’s part of what makes encounters interesting: novelty and surprise. A Drow ally is intriguing when unexpected.

i do not think that racial modifiers or behavioral tendency is going to breed any future eugenicists. Other than citing someone somewhere as being upset with orcs being orcish, is there anything that can support this assumption?

you know what orcs are. They have changed some but from the start they were the archetypal enemy at the gates, unknown fears about the night. this stuff flows from myth. while stamping out myth and many thousands of years of storytelling might be someone’s choice of avocation, it’s surely not mine. I am in it for the game and I think the game is served very well with orcs as they have been.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Why would there be another wizard? That's boring party. You should discuss withe the group beforehand so that everyone makes a different class so that you get a diverse party and everyone has a good niche.

But as I said earlier, the real issue is the main stats being too important and this is a problem beyond the races. It is boring if everyone have just the same predictable cookie-cutter statlines. Sacrificing one point of main stat modifier in order to get something else should be valid choice, and the game would be better if it supported that.
I don't think DMs should insist their players each choose a different class. There are plenty of ways to differentiate two fighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads