D&D 5E What Makes an Orc an Orc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I feel insulted when someone implies I'm a bigot because I do not mind my evil monsters being described using derogatory language.
I do not see how someone now coming into the hobby can feel insulted unless they identify with these monsters.
As said in other threads, feel free to dehumanize the foes in your campaigns. Just- please- don’t rely on the crutch of real world slurs and negative stereotypes.

When the derogatory language is based in RW evils to your fellow living human being, there aren’t many options. Bigoted is one, yes. Callous & unempsthetic is another. Lazy is a third.

If people here expect gamers (newbies) to be familiar with 19th century racist writings then I expect these gamers (newbies) to be a little proficient with human history where we (all colours) were all savage and primitive - and in some cases are still savage to each other sadly.

Depends on the newbie, now doesn’t it?

The white woman currently living with us came to me a while back and apologized for not realizing the reason why so many nonwhites were incensed by the original date for Trump’s Tulsa rally. The massacre of blacks that occurred there on that date- nor any of the dozens and dozens of other similar slaughters- hadn’t been taught in her schools.

They hadn’t been taught in mine, either...but I had read historical accounts of my people’s history outside of school lesson plans, so I DID know about them.

So maybe when a PoC is saying there’s a problem, they might just be talking from a well of knowledge and experience you haven’t accessed. So maybe when said person asks you not use certain terminology, it should be considered, and not dismissed out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads