D&D 5E What Makes an Orc an Orc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It's in the title. If we want to avoid racially charged languages in our descriptions of intelligent humanoids (and I sure think we should at least try), what does a "race" write up look like in the PH? Lore and mechanics, what differentiates an orc from a human, or an elf, or a gnome? Is it just physical appearance and lifespan? What are the mechanical widgets we're ok with, and how are those widgets explained in the lore? If we're not tying stat bonuses and/or penalties to the race, than what makes the races mechanically different from each other, and how do we present those differences? I'm really curious about what D&D is going to look like in a few years, and thought it might be fun to bandy around ideas. I don't really want to take a side, as I have all the material I need to play any way I want if the future isn't to my liking, but I am curious. This would work with any race that people might want to use for PCs, so Kobolds, Goblins, Gnolls, et al are all on the table.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It's in the title. If we want to avoid racially charged languages in our descriptions of intelligent humanoids (and I sure think we should at least try), what does a "race" write up look like in the PH? Lore and mechanics, what differentiates an orc from a human, or an elf, or a gnome? Is it just physical appearance and lifespan? What are the mechanical widgets we're ok with, and how are those widgets explained in the lore? If we're not tying stat bonuses and/or penalties to the race, than what makes the races mechanically different from each other, and how do we present those differences? I'm really curious about what D&D is going to look like in a few years, and thought it might be fun to bandy around ideas. I don't really want to take a side, as I have all the material I need to play any way I want if the future isn't to my liking, but I am curious. This would work with any race that people might want to use for PCs, so Kobolds, Goblins, Gnolls, et al are all on the table.

IMO. The current trend would seem to have them become mostly odd looking humans.

G

Guest 6801328

If we're not tying stat bonuses and/or penalties to the race, than what makes the races mechanically different from each other, and how do we present those differences?

I hate to sound glib, but (for example) Tortles and Centaurs both get the exact same racial bonuses, and I don't think there's any danger of those two races feeling undifferentiated.

In fact, of all the variables that make races "feel" different to play, I would say racial bonuses contribute the least.

Racial bonuses (for PCs) are a hot-button topic, but they are entirely unnecessary.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I hate to sound glib, but (for example) Tortles and Centaurs both get the exact same racial bonuses, and I don't think there's any danger of those two races feeling undifferentiated.

In fact, of all the variables that make races "feel" different to play, I would say racial bonuses contribute the least.

Racial bonuses (for PCs) are a hot-button topic, but they are entirely unnecessary.
I can accept that, but we still need to determine how to present those other mechanical factors. For example, what are you using to differentiate orcs and other humanoids from other races and each other mechanically and in the lore? I feel both aspects need attention.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Seems to me that we have orcs as playable races because of WoW, and that's about it.
World of Warcraft was released in 2004. There have been orc PCs in D&D at least as far back as the Complete Book of Humanoids in 1993.

EDIT: The Orcs of Thar (1988) has rules for many monstrous humanoids as PCs including orcs. Hey, Wanna Be A Kobold in Dragon #141 (cover date Jan 1989) details orc, goblin, kobold, and xvart PCs in AD&D.

Last edited:

J-H

Hero
To be honest, this is probably the easiest way to handle all races. As shown by the fact that this is how all races are already played.
Yes, but then it's boring. Like "Star Trek aliens are just humans with bumpy foreheads" boring (which is pretty boring).
When the primary criteria is avoiding differences, because differences are bad and offensive or could be perceived as much...everything ends up the same shade of grey.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
An orc is an orc, of course, of course,
And no one can kill an orc of course,
That is, of course, unless the orc is lying there quite dead.

Go right to the source and ask the orc
He'll embed his axe into your corpse
He's always mourning with remorse
Once you are quite dead.

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
Yes, but then it's boring. Like "Star Trek aliens are just humans with bumpy foreheads" boring (which is pretty boring).
When the primary criteria is avoiding differences, because differences are bad and offensive or could be perceived as much...everything ends up the same shade of grey.
How much of the difference is cultural and how much is biological? How do you tell? How would you enforce roleplaying a race “correctly”?

Why do fantasy races need to be more different than human races? The overwhelming majority of authors can’t pull off genuinely alien psychology, and most players won’t care to roleplay it anyway.

It’s impossible to write a fantasy race that isn’t just a funny looking human culture, except with a species-wide monolithic culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads