What makes Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter so good?

Don't bother. Let's just add Ungeheuer to the small list of people that for some unfathomable reason cannot enjoy the game anymore if any of the complaints about imbalance are true.

That last argument "Google told me" is a hoot. I suspect you'd be more successful convincing a flatearther the world is round...

Anyway - this thread is about the OP asking why these feats are too good. I believe we have answered the question comprehensively. I do not think the OP needs Ungeheuer to believe it.

And you should be added to the list of people who are not as kind as putting an @ before my name. And to the list of people who won´t enjoy the game because anywhere there are small imbalances that exist in a white or pink or whatever room.

cmad1977

Hero
In my experience these feats only wreck the games of GMs who shouldn’t be playing with feats. Start smaller and grow into the ‘advanced’ parts.

I'm sure different DMs have a different idea of how to balance these feats (up to removing them from their game), but as long as they communicate their house rules before the characters are created, then it should work out for the table.
Minor notational issue, but no DM should ever have to worry about removing a feat, unless they're in the middle of a campaign where someone already has it. The default state for any new campaign is to not allow feats or multi-classing at all. In order for a specific feat to present itself as an issue, the DM has to go out of their way to allow feats and to allow that specific feat.

The only place where a DM needs to worry about an unbalanced feat is in League play.

Tony Vargas

Legend
As a poster who does not post very often, has there been any well-received suggestions for updating the -5/+10 feats to help balance them out?
I am not aware of any suggestion ever having been well-received, in the history of the boards.

Has WotC responded to any suggestions or concerns about the feats?
IDK, but even if they have or do at some point, it'll probably be a nicely-phrased, "the game is just a starting point, do what you like." Because, well, it is, and you can.

5ekyu

Hero
Great. So now you're relativizing to the point where every option is about the same: "it can be good and it can be less good".

Seriously.

Well, okay - it's up to the OP I guess.

i find it hilarious that after actually quoting a small piece of the rather wordy post i made you decided to put "" around something i did not say.

But thats fine. Shows the strength of your position.

In response let me do the opposite and actually put in "" things you have said on this thread...

"Damage is where the game is at."

Thats the underlying basis os the complaints about these feats - that they allow the production of higher amounts of damage in certain situations.

i will submit that in my experience total damage and especially DPR (another point you focus on) is less important than relative damage or effective damage or the single biggest aspect of the game - number of actions. A **lot* more gain can be accomplished by denying the enemy actions or providing them disadvantage on actions they take *in my experience* in a lot more circumstances than trying to maximize DPR at the cost of a party say focusing on supporting the GWM.

Again to quote you...

"I do not deny it requires a considerable level of system mastery to use right.
Actually that's another black mark against the feat. A feat that encourages casual players to take mathematically-unsound actions (using the feat in circumstances where it statistically lowers your DPR) is a bad feat.
Anyway, once your players have achieved suffienct system expertise, the feat is a damage-enabler bar none. There simply is no other way to reach the pinnacles of DPR. Your party simply will end up focusing all their minmax efforts on the GWMers (since that's much more worthwhile than wasting it on others)."

So, even as the latter part of that quote drives to the focusing the party on the damage from the GMW instead of the other possibilities - of course how many actions you cost the other side and how many times they miss are things not lending themselves easily to excel white room spreadsheets - the mid-part is aditting that the feat can be good or can be bad... depending on the circumstance and the numbers...

If that is the case, then it seems obvious that the frequency of the circumstances where "its good" and that "its bad" will vary from table to table outside of formal league play with mandatory pre-set encounters 9or outside of static white room excel sheet assumptions.)

But, in my experience, battles are won and lost in actual play more often *not* by DPR but by the relative outputs and restoration rates of both side and that is at least as often as not decided by denying effective actions to one side or the other than it is by just winning a race.

The exceptions in my experience tend to be very brief encounters with seriously under-capable adversaries - like say many of the warm-up and mid-card encounters - many of which are flashes over and (effectively) decided 9if not done) in a round or two.

For fights that last, rounds in which you de-tooth the boss or some of the main damage dealers - do far more to shift the outcome than does some extra damage output from one character due to throwing lots of actions or power/resources from multiple characters to support one feat.

But again, like most every thing, this will vary a lot from table to table - whether or not the excel sheet says so.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Players in my games, for whatever reason, tend to do pretty awesome stuff. My experience is that when someone just focuses on "I do lots of damage with this one weapon..." they find they aren't as memorable as the other characters and buyer's remorse sets in.

You say this as though buying sharpshooter somehow reduces the character's ability to have a personality.

In my experience these feats only wreck the games of GMs who shouldn’t be playing with feats. Start smaller and grow into the ‘advanced’ parts.
This is a pretty poor effort at a cheap shot. The vast majority of feats are reasonable - they give players more options to express characters that have unusual abilities. If some of them change the balance of the game to the point where the DM needs to change the game to accommodate them, as you are suggesting, then those feats are out of line.

Remove ads