• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What materials must a Player have/bring with them at a game session?

What *must* Players have/bring with them at a game session?

• Only themselves, nothing more

Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Character sheet

Votes: 108 77.1%
  • Pencil/pen

Votes: 85 60.7%
  • Dice

Votes: 101 72.1%
  • Player's Handbook

Votes: 40 28.6%
  • Dungeon Master's Guide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monster Manual

• Campaign book

• Campaign notes

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • Supplemental rule book(s)

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Miniature figure(s)

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Computer/electronic device

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Drink(s)

Votes: 27 19.3%
  • Snack(s)

Votes: 25 17.9%
  • Extra paper

Votes: 19 13.6%
  • Money

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.9%

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
If they're an experienced player, I expect them to bring a character sheet, pencil, and dice. Not that I won't have plenty of extras.

If they're a newbie, they just need to show up ;)

Stormonu

Legend
I voted Character Sheet, Pencils, Dice though in practice I happily can supply the latter two if need be (I keep a treasure chest full of cursed Chessex dice sets for the latter, mwha-ha-ha!)

I almost said PHB, but we have plenty of players who borrow the PHB at the table and don't own their own copy (I've gotten my groups over the years to chip in and buy PHBs for other folks from time to time, usually as a birthday present or such). Pretty much as long as we've got one or two copies of the PHB to pass around between everyone, that's more than enough.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
While there's certain obvious things needed in order to play the game, the only thing they absolutely have to *bring* is themselves. I keep the character sheets here, and we can either provide everything else or fake it.

Lanefan

xXxTheBeastxXx

Explorer
I'm big on players bringing their character sheets, although I've been thinking about keeping them myself to save that. Also, I have a rule about bringing your own pencil. I don't keep many other than my personal one and have had them stolen before, so I'm not a fan of doling them out. I would say dice, but I have enough to go around. I also have pdf's of most of my books and use my laptop at the table, so I let people use my hard copies as they need.

More than anything, I require my players to bring a good attitude and to be aware (meaning not falling asleep). If they're in a sh*tty mood, I just ask them to leave and get over it before they come back. If they're sleepy, I ask them to take a power nap on the couch in my room and get back to the game in an hour or so.

Overall, things work out pretty well.

-The Beast

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I voted "Character Sheet"- and only because I don't keep track of anyone else's PCs but mine.

As long as I've been in the hobby, I've always been kind of "The Librarian," so I'm able to supply game books, pencils and almost everything else a player needs. Inspired by another gamer (Alan Hench), I even keep a "Bucket 'O Dice" on my table these days.

And its a good thing, too- many of the people with whom I've had the pleasure of gaming were truly casual players. They owned no die, no game books and so forth. They gamed to be sociable.

Sure, they enjoyed themselves, but they didn't invest in any of the accoutrements of the hobby. And because they were casual gamers, they probably wouldn't.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads