• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What monsters are you hoping are in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes?

dave2008

Legend
I don't think you can stay out Primus, does he even have a body? Is Primus a Greater God of sorts?

Yes, he has stats in 1e and 2e (virtually the same as 1e, but a little weaker actually). He was considered a lesser power anywhere outside Mechanus. He was slightly more powerful than demogorgon in 1e:
-10 AC vs -8;
220 hp vs 200 hp;
100% magic resistance vs 95% (50% magic resistance for Primus in 2e);
365 psi vs 300 psi

I believe 5e Demogorgon was CR 26 in OotA, so CR 28-30 would seen appropriate for Primus.

Personally, my version will be at least a greater god (CR 36-40), or maybe a primordial as hinted at in 4e.

Last edited:

We have Elemental Archons they are called Elemental Myrmidons now.

And what is a World Axis Eladrin, do you just mean the playable version cause that is coming.

As long as we are wishing (and talking about elemental myrmidons), I would like CR 8 ones with ranged attacks and CR 9 with 4e-controller type abilities (got to give the wizards and druids something to consider when using that 9th level spell slot).

Yes, he has stats in 1e and 2e (virtually the same as 1e, but a little weaker actually). He was considered a lesser power anywhere outside Mechanus. He was slightly more powerful than demogorgon in 1e:
-10 AC vs -8;
220 hp vs 200 hp;
100% magic resistance vs 95% (50% magic resistance for Primus in 2e);
365 psi vs 300 psi

I believe 5e Demogorgon was CR 26 in OotA, so CR 28-30 would seen appropriate for Primus.

Personally, my version will be at least a greater god (CR 36-40), or maybe a primordial as hinted at in 4e.

I wish they had explored the primordial bit (and the idea of some other extra-universal space like the Far Realm, but super logical) more in 4e. In effect, evil and law were invading the 4e universe (and in Pathfinder, chaos is invading): it would be an interesting campaign universe if good, evil, law, and chaos were all invaders.....

I don't recall where I heard this, but it seems like at some point, Primus manifested as the gestalt of the modrons, so the PC's would be standing in front of 1 million monodrones, and all of the sudden they merged into one big modron. That may be old DM memory failing me, though...

dave2008

Legend
I wish they had explored the primordial bit (and the idea of some other extra-universal space like the Far Realm, but super logical) more in 4e. In effect, evil and law were invading the 4e universe (and in Pathfinder, chaos is invading): it would be an interesting campaign universe if good, evil, law, and chaos were all invaders.....

Yes, I started working on Primus last night for the 5e Epic Monster Updates and though I original planned on making it a greater god, I think I like the primordial angle better. I like the idea of a logical counterpart to the far realm and the idea of the invasion of law. Definitely a twist on the typical chaotic invasion.

I don't recall where I heard this, but it seems like at some point, Primus manifested as the gestalt of the modrons, so the PC's would be standing in front of 1 million monodrones, and all of the sudden they merged into one big modron. That may be old DM memory failing me, though...

I don't recall that, but its a cool idea!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
When I was running my homebrew, I really badly needed better solo foes with their lairs and actions. We got some of that, but I could still use more. Of any level, though mid to higher levels still could use more than the lower levels at this point.

Why CR 8 they are already CR 7.

It is almost entirely related to conjure elemental. With the exception of most celestials and pixies, pretty much all the conjured/summoned (I will shorthand this to conjured for the rest of the response) monsters are primarily for melee (with a little bit of transportation thrown in). This leads me to think that conjured monsters that do other things are special, and there should be a price to get that "specialness." Higher CR means higher level spell to get them, which seems like a reasonable price. I would argue that casting battlefield control spells is "more special" from an "annoy the DM" perspective than ranged attacks, so I would make them the highest.

If that spell didn't exist, then I would be inclined to make them CR 7. It wouldn't hurt to fill in the CR 8-10 gap for elementals, but some kind of champion myrmidon could do that too.

Yes, I started working on Primus last night for the 5e Epic Monster Updates and though I original planned on making it a greater god, I think I like the primordial angle better. I like the idea of a logical counterpart to the far realm and the idea of the invasion of law. Definitely a twist on the typical chaotic invasion.

I don't recall that, but its a cool idea!

I will definitely have to check him out.

E

Elderbrain

Personally, I really want some more stuff from the World Axis; I want World Axis Eladrin, I want Archfey, I want Primordials, I want Elemental Archons, I want World Axis Bladelings (who were playable to boot!), I want Star Spawn.

That said, I would like to see Guardinals (Agathions? Can't remember which game uses which term) to come back. I just want them to have better art because, sheesh, talk about fugly.

Well, One Primordial got stats already in a FR product, so they do exist in 5e. Elemental Archons are called Elemental Myrmidons in 5e, and the 4e-style Eladrin will appear in MTOF as a PC race, updated from the DMG version (still up in the air whether the Monster stat blocks will be 4e or 2e Eladrin). And Star Spawn are confirmed in the book. I, too, hope for Bladelings (but actual Bladelings, not "Spikers" or whatever.) Guardinals are unlikely but who knows? Archfey would be nice. 5th edition does include a fair amount of 4e material (4e-style Tieflings, Dragonborn, 4e Eladrin in the DMG, a list of 4e deities and their domains in the DMG, etc.) so I expect the trend to continue.

Remove ads