D&D 5E What of the already done settings do you think WotC is revisiting for a Setting Book?

What of the already done settings do you think WotC is revisiting for a Setting Book?

• Forgotten Realms

Votes: 87 72.5%
  • Eberron

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Ravnica

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Theros

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Strixhaven

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Exandia

Votes: 18 15.0%

Looks like Exandria is off the list

I still say it could be Greyhawk
What else has a bit of ink spilt for 5e? Planescape and Spelljammer for sure.

None those could be revisit, but they could be one of the "classic" settings.

But your right about Exandria being out as a possiblity thanks to CR self publishing the new CR book. Exandria was the one competitor to FR for being the return setting, so yeah its 100% certain, but resent events have sucked all the joy out of it for me.

I was actually thinking "the Underdark" might be the "setting" that they revisit. Out of the Abyss did cover a lot of territory in the Underdark, but didn't go into great depth into Menzoberranzan. Also, Lolth has been a minor player in past 5e adventures, so we should expect some remix of City of the Spider Queen at some point. I don't know if it's fair to call "the Underdark" a setting, but it has received its own setting-esque book in many past editions.

The whole Legend of Drizzt media press presents new aspects to drow society.

All signs point to the upcoming D&D TV show centering on Drizzt and the Underdark.

An article just came out on D&D Beyond about Menzoberranzan.

The Underdark is a location within multiple settings and not a setting in of itself.

Why is FR the favorite? Is there a quote or something other than the “revisit” quote?
Because there aren't many choices to revisit in 5e. They specifically stated that a 5e setting will be revisited. We know it isn't going to be one of the M:tG settings, as they have specifically ruled these out. Ravenloft just got released, so there's no reason to revisit so quickly. Eberron's release may be a bit older, but it does seem a bit soon to revisit, especially when there are lots of other settings out there who haven't even gotten a first book yet. Exandria is going to be revisited with a non-WotC product. Whether Saltmarsh counts enough as a Greyhawk "setting" to be revisited seems a bit doubtful. The other settings don't have a 5e release to revisit. That only leaves FR left, especially since SCAG is the oldest of the 5e setting books and is widely disliked and perceived as needing an update to the newer setting format.

I mean it could be Eberron (maybe a guide to the other continents on the setting) or Greyhawk (if one believes Saltmarsh is less an adventure than a full setting book), but both of those seem to be serious stretches compared to FR.

Remove ads