What other Essentialized classes do you want?

Remathilis

Legend
So currently, we have Fighter/Knight, Fighter/Slayer, Cleric/Warpriest, Wizard/Mage, Rogue/Thief, Ranger/Hunter, Ranger/Scout, Warlock/Hexblade, Druid/Sentinel, Paladin/Cavalier, and Assassin/Executioner. Rumor has it we're going to get a "bladesinger" class as well.

What other classes wold you like to see "essentialized?"

Bard/Minstrel? (Arcane Leader)
Monk/Mystic? (Martial/Psionic Striker)
Barbarian/Beserker? (Primal/Martial Striker)
Warlord/Marshal? (Martial Leader)
Invoker/Favored Soul? (Divine Controller)

What would you like done and how?

NMcCoy

Explorer
I'm very impressed with the Executioner Assassin.

Of the classes that most "want" an essentials reworking that we've not seen yet, most of them are getting covered in HotFK.

Essentials seems to be mostly focusing on the "classic" classes, which means that of the remaining unvisited classes, Bard, Monk, and Barbarian are the most likely to get attention. Bladesinger is almost certainly a Bard build. With the possible exception of Monk, it seems very likely to me that the PHB3 will languish in splat-land for quite some time. The Executioner indicates that mixing power sources in-class is now legit design space, and I suspect that a Dragon-Essentialized Monk will be Martial/Psionic.

My other prediction is that there may not be any new classes - given the amount of deviation from the base class possible with an Essentials subclass, and the fact that if you make a new kind of Ranger then there's all those feats and powers and items already supporting it, while if you make something similar (see Seeker) then it's got very little existing structure to fit into.

Festivus

First Post
I like exactly what is in the essentials currently, and really want nothing more. If I want more, I have 4E to play with.

andarilhor

First Post
Taking advantage of the essentials versatility, I would like to see the following:

- A Warlord Controller (with orders instead of stances, for example)
- A Inspirational Bard (more like old editions)
- A Martial or Divine Monk

But, more than anything, i would like to see some guidelines to how to use essentials features into the core classes, particularly the martial ones and the executioner, which are using a so different development structure. I have some houserules to that in my hat, but would like to see a official word about that.

I believe, hopefully, we will see such material on october update.

abyssaldeath

First Post
I wouldn't mind seeing an essentialized Psionic character. Maybe a Soulknife using a hybrid of the current Psionic and Executioner Assassin mechanics.

mkill

Adventurer
First of all, 4th edition is a working system, and there is no need to rush to "completely essentialize" it. There is no class that desperately needs a rewrite, except for the Assassin but that one is done.

What I like about the Essentials that it not just opened classes for different power sources, but also for different roles. That way, it is now possible to unite classes that are conceptually the same, but different roles: Cleric / Invoker, Barbarian / Warden, Fighter / Warlord.

In other words, rather than an essentialized Invoker, I want to see a Controller subclass of the Cleric.

Also, the original Bladesinger is a Fighter / Wizard. It's very unlikely that it will be related to bards in any way.

AngryMojo

First Post
Also, the original Bladesinger is a Fighter / Wizard. It's very unlikely that it will be related to bards in any way.

I'd ideally like Bladesinger to just be a build of Swordmage with Charisma as a secondary stat, but it's looking like that's unlikely.

I would like to see the Monk (and the Mystic idea is a good one :) )

and a Fighter-Mage more akin to the F/M of old, that means a chain mail fighter able to toss magic missile and the like

indeed some essentialized classic hybrid would be nice to see back

other favourite would be

mage/thief

Mage/cleric

Mage/druid

Remove ads