D&D (2024) What other general common spell lists should there be?

delericho

Legend
Psionic and Artifice.

Martial shouldn't have a spell list, but it should have a wide selection of fighting styles and maneuvers that characters can learn - which looks an awful lot like a spell list. :)

Horwath

Legend
there should only be one spell list.

then some classes/subclasses get 2 spells per level(cantrip to 5th level, 12 in total) auto prepared/known as their area of expertise/theme.

Psionic and Artifice.

Martial shouldn't have a spell list, but it should have a wide selection of fighting styles and maneuvers that characters can learn - which looks an awful lot like a spell list. :)
In Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition by En Publishing, the martial classes can choose to pick up combat maneuvers from at least 2 of the 11 combat traditions in the RPG. So there's your Martial 'Magic'. ;)

If you want to look further back in D&D, there is Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords , it also has a selection of combat traditions for a martial to choose from.

delericho

Legend
In Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition by En Publishing, the martial classes can choose to pick up combat maneuvers from at least 2 of the 11 combat traditions in the RPG. So there's your Martial 'Magic'. ;)
Indeed. It's possible I had that in mind when I wrote my post. :)

If you want to look further back in D&D, there is Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords , it also has a selection of combat traditions for a martial to choose from.
Ick. For me, Bo9S serves mostly as a caution - because while it does much of what I want, I really don't like the way it does it. Which just goes to show: threading this particular needle is no easy task!

Indeed. It's possible I had that in mind when I wrote my post. :)

Ick. For me, Bo9S serves mostly as a caution - because while it does much of what I want, I really don't like the way it does it. Which just goes to show: threading this particular needle is no easy task!
It's been years since I had the Book of Nine Swords in my 3e D&D collection, so I have pretty much forgotten what that book was like. Do you think A5e's Combat Traditions are better than those in Bo9S? curious

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Are we sure that these "combined spell lists" are also for the actual classes? Because I got the sense that they were merely for the Magic Initiate feat. Maybe I'll be proven wrong... but I fully expect each class will still have their own spell list. And if that's the case... then making new combined spell lists isn't really necessary, because a Magic Initiate shouldn't be that far into the weeds about where they get their magical dabbling from.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases