• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What PC classes to take to round out this party?

akr71

Hero
As others have said, play what you want to play... However, a dex based character with thieves tools proficiency is always useful and that can be as simple as taking the criminal background.

A paladin fits nicely between the cleric and fighter.
A druid fills a spot between the cleric and warlock.
A monk with a criminal background could be a lot of fun too - tough enough to keep up in melee, quick enough to get out of harm's way

Looks like we're going with a Paladin and Bard combo. Both of us have played a Rogue recently (me this campaign, the other last campaign), so we decided to go for something different. Since we're introducing the characters at the same time we're going to make them brothers as well, just for a different dynamic (I've never had siblings in a party before).

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
With enough damage already present, perhaps consider a Mastermind Rogue, focusing on Charisma rather than Dex. Invest in social skills and be sure to make good use of the Fighter & Cleric should you make it to 13th..

I'm playing one at the moment and it is a blast. You have minimal downtime compared to a caster, have the skills and tools to really help out, and can grant advantage on their attack rolls to two of your group in a round, should they need it.

I was a bit wary at first, what with Dex normally being touted as the rogue's main stat but so far (6th) it's worked like a charm. Though to be fair, we tend to run each of the three pillars relatively equally, so when it comes to exploring and social encounters he really shines. Master of Tactics, along with the rogues Cunning Action options and Uncanny Dodge, make for a mobile, relatively resilient character with a number of options to choose from. It really feels like it rewards smart play.

A little bit more detail.

I'll be playing a LG Paladin with an Oath of Devotion (so your "traditional" Paladin). The other player will be playing a LG Bard with the College of Lore.

Rather than just being brothers, they will in fact be twin brothers.

What makes this even more interesting is that previously I played a Dark Elf Rogue, while the other player was a Wood Elf Ranger. Given those two races, they were constantly tossing barbed comments at each other the whole time (plus a couple of other PCs were distrustful of my Dark Elf as well). This time these two PCs will be best buddies who generally agree (or at least see the other's side of the argument) on just about everything.

So we'll go from fighting with each other all the time to each other's biggest supporters. In addition, my PC will go from being completely untrusted by the party, to being a paragon of truth and virtue!

I look forward to seeing what the other 3 PCs (and their players) in the party make of it. I think it will be quite a surprise (especially since they don't really know that the Ranger and Rogue are definitely smashed to bits at this point).

Well my 8th level Paladin got off to a flier in combat in his first session. I was testing out the smite ability in the first 2 fights (especially since it was highly likely they would be our only 2 combats for the day, allowing me to be a bit more liberal with its use).

Combat 1 - First attack. Hit. Smite with greatsword and the Paladin ability to let me re-roll 1's and 2's. 2d6+2d8+3 = 24 points damage. Dead cultist. Second attack. Hit. Smite again. Second dead cultist.

Combat 2 - Athletics check to climb on top of an Ogre body and leap through a window in a stable. Get a 15. Attack cultist in full plate. Nat 20! Smite with a second level spell. 4d6+6d8+3= 47 points damage! Dead cultist.

Second cultist drops his weapon and runs away at full speed! :D

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Well my 8th level Paladin got off to a flier in combat in his first session. I was testing out the smite ability in the first 2 fights (especially since it was highly likely they would be our only 2 combats for the day, allowing me to be a bit more liberal with its use).

Combat 1 - First attack. Hit. Smite with greatsword and the Paladin ability to let me re-roll 1's and 2's. 2d6+2d8+3 = 24 points damage. Dead cultist. Second attack. Hit. Smite again. Second dead cultist.

Combat 2 - Athletics check to climb on top of an Ogre body and leap through a window in a stable. Get a 15. Attack cultist in full plate. Nat 20! Smite with a second level spell. 4d6+6d8+3= 47 points damage! Dead cultist.

Second cultist drops his weapon and runs away at full speed! :D
Not a surprise, paladins are stars at nova-ing.

Not a surprise, paladins are stars at nova-ing.

The bit that surprised me is that you can decide to use a basic smite after hitting. So it basically makes it a no brainer to smite when you crit as the 2d8 becomes 4d8.

The only reason why you wouldn't is if you think that a basic crit will do the job by itself.

Last edited:

Well, there doesn't seem to be anyone left to fill the Rogue spot, but instead of rolling another straight up Rogue, maybe add a twist. Not sure what level your party is, but I just made a Rogue 2 / Wizard 6. I know it's nothing groundbreaking, but the 2 levels in Rogue give you Expertise and Cunning Action, which in turn gives you lots of skills to be proficient in and excel at, as well as the capability to get the hell out of thick combat with Disengage as a bonus action.

Remove ads