What Podcasts are you listening too? The Golden Age of Podcasting Edition

With everything going on, I've also been listening to more of my non-gaming podcasts:

The Purple Stuff Podcast - the guys behind Dinosaur Dracula and Sludge Central collaborate on a nostalgia-heavy podcast. Both of them are from the tri-state area and only a few years younger than I am, so a lot of the references are familiar to me.
Antiquitas - Cornell historian and author Barry Strauss' podcast. Like his books, he really brings ancient history to life.
Everything 80s - A very well-researched podcast on a variety of 80s-related subjects. Cabbage Patch Dolls Brawls, Halley's Comet, Banana Man, you name it.
For the Record: The 70s - does a great job of examining the music of the 70s and the cultural movements swirling about.
Hello From the Magic Tavern - frequently parodying fantasy tropes, this one is a hoot. Saw them live at Gen Con a few years back.
By-the-Bywater - all about Middle-Earth
Bonfireside Chat - A game-by-game, level-by-level examination of From Software's games.

Gaming and gaming-tangential stuff:

Appendix N Book Club - an examination of Appendix N and related works.
Sanctum Secorum - also, an examination of Appendix N and related works. If you've followed the What Are You Reading thread here, you know that stuff is my reading bread and butter.
Vintage RPG Podcast - Short and sweet delvings into old and new RPG products, some obscure but always interesting.
Spellburn - the quasi-official DCC RPG podcast.
The Slovenly Trulls - analysis of D&D history from a feminist point-of-view.
Plot Points - Ben Riggs' podcast. If you're on this site and listen to podcasts, I can't imagine not knowing about this one, but it's aces.

Additionally, if you're fans of HBO's original series, a lot of them have official companion podcasts that are quite good. The Chernobyl one was powerful stuff.

Hex08

Hero
I'm a big fan of Old Time Radio. It's not technically podcasts, but, meh, close enough. The favorites list that I keep going back to:

Mindwebs - Straight readings of classic speculative fiction.
Dragnet - The radio show is better than the TV show, IMNSHO.
Suspense - Classic thrillers.

Some shows I've been trying out recently:
Nero Wolfe - Fun alternative to Sherlock Holmes.
Lux Radio Theatre - Radio versions of movies, often with the original cast. Kinda hit or miss. "Magic Town" was a hit. "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was a miss.

Actual modern podcasts that I like:
My Favorite Murder - True crime/comedy mix
Levar Burton Reads - Reading Rainbow for adults.
The No Sleep Podcast - One of the better horror short story series I've found.
I love OTR. Suspense, The Shadow, Dimension X, X Minus One, Light's Out and The Mercury Theatre on the Air are the ones that jump to mind as some of my favorites. In the late 1990's to the early 2000s the Sci-Fi Channel had a great project Seeing Ear Theatre that gave us a streaming version of OTR, long before podcasts were popular.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I love OTR. Suspense, The Shadow, Dimension X, X Minus One, Light's Out and The Mercury Theatre on the Air are the ones that jump to mind as some of my favorites. In the late 1990's to the early 2000s the Sci-Fi Chanel had a great project Seeing Ear Theatre that gave us a streaming version of OTR, long before podcasts were popular.
Back in the '70s I would lay down in front of the radio, at the cottage, and listen to "Theatre of the Mind." Old radio shows like "The Shadow" and "The Falcon."

The friend who gave me a literary death worthy of a Monty Python sketch, in the last of his '30s radio drama inspired novels, also did some of the stories as radio plays, complete with authentic sounding commercials. Many of the characters were voiced by familiar actors from the Zombie Orpheus movies. Streaming is toward the bottom of the page.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm a big fan of Old Time Radio. It's not technically podcasts, but, meh, close enough. The favorites list that I keep going back to:

Mindwebs - Straight readings of classic speculative fiction.
Dragnet - The radio show is better than the TV show, IMNSHO.
Suspense - Classic thrillers.

Some shows I've been trying out recently:
Nero Wolfe - Fun alternative to Sherlock Holmes.
Lux Radio Theatre - Radio versions of movies, often with the original cast. Kinda hit or miss. "Magic Town" was a hit. "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was a miss.

Actual modern podcasts that I like:
My Favorite Murder - True crime/comedy mix
Levar Burton Reads - Reading Rainbow for adults.
The No Sleep Podcast - One of the better horror short story series I've found.
If you're into Old Time Radio, you need to put Thrilling Adventure Hour on your modern podcast list. Their modern output is infrequent, but go back as far as you can into the archives (most of it is a Patreon-only feed now, I think) to hear their live stage show versions, which are much better, since there's no Zoom lag involved.

Hex08

Hero
If you're into Old Time Radio, you need to put Thrilling Adventure Hour on your modern podcast list. Their modern output is infrequent, but go back as far as you can into the archives (most of it is a Patreon-only feed now, I think) to hear their live stage show versions, which are much better, since there's no Zoom lag involved.
Oh, I did. Great stuff. I especially love the "Beyond Belief" and "Sparks Nevada: Marshall on Mars" episodes.

I love OTR. Suspense, The Shadow, Dimension X, X Minus One, Light's Out and The Mercury Theatre on the Air are the ones that jump to mind as some of my favorites. In the late 1990's to the early 2000s the Sci-Fi Channel had a great project Seeing Ear Theatre that gave us a streaming version of OTR, long before podcasts were popular.
OTR! So much comforting old time radio scares. Another, thoughh certainly it all that old time, but getting there was CBS Radio Mystery Theater. I love the intro.
For more nonfictional type podcasts, I’m a huge fan of Timesuck, Last Podcast on the Left, and morbid.

MGibster

Legend
I will admit I have a harder time with old comedy. With old sci-fi, crime, horror, etc, I really enjoy the exercise in viewing things from the lens of a different time. But sometimes with comedy it makes the jokes feel more like a homework assignment than entertainment.
I've heard it said that comedy ages like a fine milk. If you're lucky you wind up with cheese but usually it just turns sour over time.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've been Enjoying Turn to Page, which is just two friends doing voice acted readings of classic choose your own adventure Goosebumps novels.
I generally love the Not Another D&D Podcast spin-off series, but their reading of the Endless Quest books brings home just how terrible those books were, compared to the competition. I want to send them a crate of the Fighting Fantasy books, just to elevate their read-throughs.

Remove ads