• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What pre-3E D&D book are you using most in your 3.X game?

Glyfair

Explorer
I've been going through my box of older D&D and related gaming stuff. I realized how many of these books are still useful in the age of 3E. Books like the various "sites" books (City Sites, Country Sites, etc.), the Book of Lairs I & II, etc.

Which book (or books) do you find yourself still using?

JustKim

First Post
I used to use quite a few, but now it's mostly the Planescape books because I'm running a Planescape game. Out of those, Factol's Manifesto, In the Cage, Planes of Law and the core box are seeing the most use.

I can also recall running Axe of the Dwarvish Lords, flipping through a lot of monster books for inspiration when using older monsters, and reading old Dragons until the spines are white and the covers are confetti.

Thanee

First Post
Ruins of Adventure. Still using is not quite right, though, considering I bought it long after 3E came out. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Sammael

Adventurer
I use pre-3E books all the time, particularly FR and Planescape ones. I'd hazard a guess and say that I use the various Volo's Guides more than others, but the 2nd edition FR deity trilogy is up there as well.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Back when I ran Planescape, the old Planescape books (In the Cage, Uncaged, and Hellbound mostly) were oft referenced.

Demiurge out.

I've used my 1E DMG with just about every D&D-type game I've ever run. However, since I picked up Gary Gygax's World Builder, I find myself pulling it out more often than the 1E DMG.

I also used my World of Greyhawk boxed set with 3E.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Thanee said:
Ruins of Adventure.

Best. Adventure. Book. Ever.

In my case, there's a bunch of FR stuff that hasn't been rehashed into a 3E book yet, so I'm using a bunch of that. I've also been thinking of doing either a Star Frontiers or Stardrive campaign using either D20 Modern or True20.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I don't use any older D&D books in actual live GMing, but I've made use of quite a few in campaign and session prep/design: World Builder's Guidebook, Aurora's, Arms & Equipment Guide, Lankhmar, Of Ships & The Sea, Faces of Evil, Savage Frontier

As a player: Birthright, Book of Magecraft, Dark Sun box set.

arscott

First Post
It's d20 Modern, rather than 3.x, but I'm getting a lot of use out of the Dark•Matter book for alternity. Apparently I'm not the only one either, because wizards is releasing a new edition for d20M in september.

I'll also be getting some use out of the Dark Sun boxed set I picked up at Polycon earlier this summer, if all goes well.

Quick, anybody else know a campaign setting that starts with dark? I seem to be on a roll.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads