• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What pre-3E D&D book are you using most in your 3.X game?

reanjr

First Post
I'm currently running a Ravenloft game, so I am finding good use out of several old Ravenloft products that cover certain things in more depth or breadth than the 3e material. Right now, I am using material from the Evil Eye adventure and updating it for 3e and the current timeline.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Sammael said:
I use pre-3E books all the time, particularly FR and Planescape ones.

Yep, virtually the entire PS product line, plus a large number of the 2e FR regional books, and one or two of the 2e Monstrous Compendium books. Add in 'Secrets of the Lamp' from Al-Qadim from when I was doing a big plot arc in the inner planes.

the Jester

Legend
1e Fiend Folio, mostly for some of the art. Yeah, it's terrible, but it's way atmospheric and some of the new art just doesn't do it like the old stuff did (dark creeper, I'm looking at you).

Wombat

First Post
Considering the only pre-3e books of a D&D nature that I own are the Three Little Books and their friends, I'd have to say ... Eldritch Wizardry...

Psion

Adventurer

Emirikol

Adventurer
For our 3.5E CONAN D&D game, I still reference several out-of-date things:

D&D 1981 Expert Set (wizard and brazier cover) - Adventure idea sections
1E Deities & Demigods (babylonian and sumerian) as well as sections on legends
Book of Names (1980's)
2E AlQuadim

Dragon CD ROM
Old DUNGEON issues

3.0E Nyambe
3.0E Oriental Adventures
3.0E Deities & Demigods (Egyptian and Norse)
3.0E Manual of the Planes

CONAN RPG - Original print - Gazetteer Races, monsters, lotus, poison and magical items

jh

Last edited:

Emirikol

Adventurer
Whisperfoot said:
RUINS OF ADVENTURE. Best. Adventure. Book. Ever.Ruins of Adventure (the Pool of Radiance adventure)

OK, stop. I played these computer games, but what makes the printed adventure so special. Is it actually a good adventure or is it just for FR content?

JayH
Lakewood, C0 USA

Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
Not sure it qualifies as a book, but I am using OD&D Keep on the Borderlands as the basis for some low-level play right now.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Emirikol said:
OK, stop. I played these computer games, but what makes the printed adventure so special. Is it actually a good adventure or is it just for FR content?

It's probably just the nostalgia, though it has its strengths - see my response in your other thread.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads