• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What prevents eternal crossbow attacks in the rules?

Milambus

First Post
Don't have my DMG with me, but I'd say this falls under the pg 42 mindset... allow them to do it but at a cost. In this case the cost would be granting combat advantage, and/or -2 to attack due to the bulk of the crossbows.

Alternatively, I'd just rule that QuickDraw allows him to use the crossbow as Load: Free.

evilgenius8000

First Post
Also, note the fact that a crossbow cannot be kept loaded unless kept level... There's usually nothing stopping the bolt from falling off if the crossbow is tipped or upended...

[sblock=Reference Pic]
light-crossbow1.jpg
[/sblock]

Guyanthalas

First Post
Also, note the fact that a crossbow cannot be kept loaded unless kept level... There's usually nothing stopping the bolt from falling off if the crossbow is tipped or upended...

Not to open another can of worms, but does this mean that you need to spend the minor action on your first turn of combat to load it?

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Swiftshot Crossbow +1
This weapon reloads and fires faster than any other crossbow.
Lvl 3 +1 680 gp
Weapon: Crossbow
Property: Loading this crossbow is a free action.

From AV pg 79, I suggest you have him invest in one. A half dozen crossbows is already 150g, 680 for a plus 1 with Load Free and a pretty spiffy daily power, should be worth the gold.

Otherwise he could hire a minion whose job it is to load and cock crossbows and hand them to him (a historically appropriate approach).

These two seem to be the best solutions I've seen so far.

I particularly like the idea of the minion, just because it offers so much RP potential.

Tenniel

First Post

[sblock=Reference Pic]
light-crossbow1.jpg
[/sblock]

Some crossbows come equipped with a bolt-clip, a spring (not a coil, a flat bent piece of metal) that is attached to the tiller and goes over the top of bolt pressing it into the track. Not sure when these first came into use.

Syrsuro

First Post
Not to open another can of worms, but does this mean that you need to spend the minor action on your first turn of combat to load it?

It ought to, unless you are holding it ready in your hands.

This is often ignored however (and it is the ignoring of this fact that has led to the above problem).

If players all realized that a crossbow must be loaded before it is used, they wouldn't be trying to wear crossbow suits.

Carl

Evil_Dead_Jedi

First Post
Having multiple crossbows attached all over your body would probably lower your Dex (significantly), possibly lower your Cha or social skills, and god forbid you roll a 1 during battle. You'd probably end up setting off one or more of your still-strapped on crossbows, this defeating the purpose.

People will probably think he's crazy and he'd have to role play that point specifically and nearly any time he has contact with another person not in his group. Emphasize the role playing aspect of this and it may deter him from doing it. Let him roll that natural 1 a few times. Let his AC and Reflexes suffer due to lowered Dex and he'll go insane. Not to mention, if he does roll that natural 1 he very well could end up shooting himself in the foot (literally) and thus lowering his Dex even further or even causing some sort of status effect on himself due to a bolt being in both his foot AND the ground. Just a few ideas touching on both role playing and roll playing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads