• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What previous edition books would you like to see re-done?

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
The 3.5 Tome of Magic for the wonderful Binder class.

I'd also love Lords of Madness for the Fleshwarper PrC and grafts but I think that could be homebrewed relatively easily.

Tormyr

Hero
It is nice to see several people interested in a Spelljammer refresh. My next campaign after Age of Worms might be a sci-fi/fantasy style campaign. I think if there was a shorter book that covered rules of spaceflight the mechanisms needed to run the Spelljammer campaign, that might be sufficient. Although we might get those things in the DMG.

Warunsun

First Post
It is nice to see several people interested in a Spelljammer refresh.

Even-thought I doubt we would see it I would totally buy into a complete Spelljammer 5E conversion either as a printed book or a newly written printer friendly PDF. For me I have recently used Spelljammer in D&D Fourth Edition. The only conversions I did was to have Spelljamming occur largely on the Astral Sea or Elemental Chaos. You could Spelljam through the air like in 2E but you then planeshifted to either the Astral Plane or the Elemental Chaos for travel mode. I didn't use Arcane Space or the Phlogiston so it remained in traditional D&D fantasy planes without the notions of space or air vacuum. It worked great. Since D&D Fifth Edition retains both the Astral Plane and Elemental Chaos it could work the same.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
1E oriental, but only if they add maneuvers to martial characters, as it should have been at the very start.

Yeah, I really want a mystical martial arts system for 5e that exists independently of the class system and feats system. I'm indifferent to "Oriental" classes and such-- Wu Jen are Wizards and Ninja are Assassins-- but I really like martial arts rules and I felt tying them to the feats in 3.X really stopped most characters from bothering with them.

Mercule

Adventurer
I'm not in any hurry to see more rehashes of campaign settings. There are enough versions of all of them already, and it's not at all difficult to adapt any of the minor crunch they contain to a 5e game.

I have to disagree here. Some of us aren't particularly good at conversions. Many home conversions/home brew rules that I've seen from people are either ridiculously overpowered or lackluster, at best. I'd rather the version I'm playing have updated materials.
I have no problem converting stuff -- I've been hacking RPG rules since the early 1980s, and I think my 1E house rules and setting had a higher page count than the actual hardcovers. I just don't have the time; a wife, four kids, a full-time job, and volunteer activities take up a ton of my life. I want to game every-other Friday and prep a few hours in between. Thus, I will happily pay someone $50 for a good conversion of a setting/source I find useful.

Something that is a rehash for some of us is brand new to many players that might be 10-20-30-40 years younger than us (OMG! 55 years younger. :eek: ) Also, instead of a rehash, it might be done differently or even (gasp!) better than before. In any case, even a reprint can make something available again.
This is the other reason I'd support an updated setting book. I may know enough to reference my 3E Eberron book and can do some basic conversions, but this is a social hobby. I want others to experience things I love about it. New players (and even some experienced ones) tend to look at only the "relevant" (i.e. current edition) products for a game.

Remove ads